Lunar featured once again on Game Sack

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Uncle Ramus
Lann Fisherman
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lunar featured once again on Game Sack

Post by Uncle Ramus »

Unfortunately this time it's on the Franchise Killers episode. It's the first franchise they talk about in the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU3v293Cr8Q

EDIT: Previous mentions, for the sake of completeness

RPGs (2013) https://youtu.be/3WfPzI9iY0o?t=4m48s
Sega CD Review (2014) https://youtu.be/TcKrOKjhVPY?t=18m2s
Demo Discs (2015) https://youtu.be/PASL8ScUsUE?t=8m42s
Last edited by Uncle Ramus on Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Lunar featured once again on Game Sack

Post by jay_are »

Lunar Dragon Song still had better music than Breath of the Wild :mrgreen:
Ok. That's probably its only obvious strength.

Lunar Dragon Song still had better characters, NPCs and a more creative / interesting villains and ending!

"A lot of it feels like an afterthought", this is true :( :( :( :( :( :( :cry: :cry:

Oh and before I forget, AT LEAST Lunar Dragon Song is a JRPG, not trying to be a western thing popular in the west 2005.
Look at that Final Fight disaster on PS2.
I'd rather have a JRPG badly done than a GTA or Skyrim wannabe.
Dragon Quest remains the ONLY game franchise that can blend itself into other genres and still be a win!
(DQ Heroes 1 and 2, DQ Builders)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

jay_are wrote:Lunar Dragon Song still had better music than Breath of the Wild :mrgreen:
I don't remember Dragon Song's music much, but the music in the final area of Breath of the Wild is REALLY good, in my opinion.
-G1

Maus
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Maus »

It was a really fair review, but I''m quite worried about just how much material he had to work with... the video could have been entirely about DS and it would have worked.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

GhaleonOne wrote:
jay_are wrote:Lunar Dragon Song still had better music than Breath of the Wild :mrgreen:
I don't remember Dragon Song's music much, but the music in the final area of Breath of the Wild is REALLY good, in my opinion.
Lunar Dragon Song's battle theme is so good, I could hear it throughout the entire game and still wanted to hear it more after I was done.
It had several boss themes too, and I think I liked all of them too.
When I hear BotW battle music, I just want to pull my hair off at how bafflingly dumb it is. (Those nonsensical piano notes and other weird things)
The town themes from Lunar DS were nice and heartwarming, as was the titlescreen music, and even some dungeons too even though most of them had lame music. (I liked the rain forest theme very much).
Actually, when I listen to BotW's title music, I get bored thinking I'm gonna watch a sad movie or something, totally out of what Zelda is supposed to make me feel. (Zelda 1, 2, AlttP and LA all had excellent exciting intros full of the magic that only a videogame could deliver)

That's about all I can compare though, I didn't play BotW, but I did see it being played / listened to some of its OST.
Can you show me a sad theme from BotW?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Zelda BotW music posts split into their own topic (on the General Gaming board) here: http://lunarthreads.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5893

Uncle Ramus
Lann Fisherman

Post by Uncle Ramus »

Hey jay_are, if you want to defend Althena's honor then maybe you should do battle with the guy who said this in the comments haha:
some dude on YouTube wrote:The Lunar games are't very good RPGs. If you break them down, its just a grind. And you do the same -Dragon Diamond- over and over again.
Repetitive as -Fatal Hopper-. Secret of Mana or even Chrono Trigger do not suffer from this monotones crap. Simply because the world and the game mechanics are much better. Even FF surprises you with more variety. And FF is just standing there and wait.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Uncle Ramus wrote:Hey jay_are, if you want to defend Althena's honor then maybe you should do battle with the guy who said this in the comments haha:
some dude on YouTube wrote:The Lunar games are't very good RPGs. If you break them down, its just a grind. And you do the same -Dragon Diamond- over and over again.
Repetitive as -Fatal Hopper-. Secret of Mana or even Chrono Trigger do not suffer from this monotones crap. Simply because the world and the game mechanics are much better. Even FF surprises you with more variety. And FF is just standing there and wait.
:lol: To each their own, dude. Lunar is not about the grind, it's about what is rewarded to you after the grind.
That's how the series captured its fans hearts when there was barely FF4 to play back in the day: The dialogue, the way the characters interact with each other and the things the NPCs have to say.
I dont care about almost any of the NPCs in Chrono Trigger for example, and I loved that game to death. But in Lunar, I WANT to talk to everyone in town, several times! And you do so while the game has you listen to some of the sweetest music. How's that for a grind game? This is kinda what an RPG is supposed to be about by its definition.
Lunar also has a very unique characteristic: It can remain interesting in a lighthearted mood. Other games such as Chrono Trigger and FF rely on world destruction or corrupt leaders and things like that too much to keep the player awake. Not many games can keep your interest in a world that is overall peaceful.

Lunar IS a very simplistic RPG, mechanically, and as a fan of Dragon Quest and early FF games, this is just my cup of tea!