Jessica: strong female character or missed opportunity?

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Jessica: strong female character or missed opportunity?

Post by Imperial Knight »

Greco12 wrote: Not sure if it adds much to the discussion, but I did find this blog post on Luna, Jessica, and Mia. Just as an aside, I did ask the blogger over Google about the whole Pao sickness sub-plot, and he argued that, while it was problematic, Jess and Mia were pro-active and important enough to the plot that it didn't take anything away from their characters.
Well, I think seeing any perspectives (provided they're not, like, abusive or something) adds to the discussion. My critique (of the blog post, not you) is that it seems to be too focused on an agenda (putting forth the Lunar women as positive characters in response to nebulous "opponents of gaming") in a way which, to me, gets in the way of character analysis.

Greco12
Pao Hunter

Post by Greco12 »

Shinto-Cetra wrote:Attempting to get this train back on the original track: I think Jess was overall a good character. She was independent, cool, funny etc. The one thing that struck me as odd was how Mia inherited Vane, but Jess never inherited Meribia. Maybe she inherited Meribia sometime after the main story? That would make a cool side story.
In-game NPC dialogue and the Lunatic Festa drama CD seem to imply that she moved out of Mel's mansion to live with Kyle.* It makes sense to me that she wouldn't inherit her dad's estate, since in Lunar 2 Lunn was governor and had converted it to a dojo. I'm pretty sure the estate belonged to Jessica's mom's family and Mel inherited it by virtue of being her husband. Also, keep in mind that Mel was just a governor, an elected official as opposed to being a monarch like Lemia and Mia (okay, they were head of a guild, but they were part of a long-running dynasty). That, and the 1000-year gap between 1 and 2.
Alunissage wrote:And I really didn't like the bits I saw of Jess's and Luna's portrayals in SSH either.
I'm guessing your referring to that one additional scene in Meryod where she and Kyle get into a heated argument. I disliked that scene because it made their relationship with one another look really ugly and abusive. I was cringing throughout that scene; I thought the writers went a little too far there. On that note, I feel like both of them (especially Kyle, since Jessica at least had a decent amount of interaction with the other party members early on, and we get a pretty good understanding of her relationship with her dad) could have used less of the stereotypical anime-tsundere couple moments.

*An NPC in Meribia says that one day Jessica will move out of the house and get married. And in the audio drama, she can be heard fixing a meal for Kyle, who chokes on it.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Greco12 wrote:In-game NPC dialogue and the Lunatic Festa drama CD seem to imply that she moved out of Mel's mansion to live with Kyle.* It makes sense to me that she wouldn't inherit her dad's estate, since in Lunar 2 Lunn was governor and had converted it to a dojo. I'm pretty sure the estate belonged to Jessica's mom's family and Mel inherited it by virtue of being her husband. Also, keep in mind that Mel was just a governor, an elected official as opposed to being a monarch like Lemia and Mia (okay, they were head of a guild, but they were part of a long-running dynasty). That, and the 1000-year gap between 1 and 2.
Wouldn't it stand to reason that, with Meribia turning into a free city with a governor (...whether he was elected or not, Mel is at least popular and loved by the people of the city), they'd turn over the estate to the city? In other words, it's no longer a family estate, but now it's specifically the governor's mansion -- so when Mel is retired from politics, they'll move out of the mansion and let the next governor move in.

They didn't explicitly state this in the games, but given Mel's personality and the fact that by Lunar 2 it's become Lunn's dojo (and place of administration of the city), that seems the logical course of events.

Curious if anyone else gathered the same idea as I did from this. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

That would make sense to me, especially since by the time even of Lunar 1 the noble family that Jessica's mother is from is barely known. And after all, the mansion already had training grounds and such.

Is it explicit that Jessica never came to govern Meribia herself, though? I can think of reasons why she'd choose not to, but I don't remember it being said outright that she didn't.

And I totally missed Greco12's response to me months ago. No, I've never played that far in SSH. It's the voice acting I'm thinking of (which I heard in SSS Touch) and characterization in that. They wrote Luna as "sassy" (Jessica @ XSEED's word), and I just don't feel like that's an attitude or character that there's any shortage of. I think the feistiness she occasionally shows in SSSC is about right; any more starts rubbing me the wrong way (and is amply filled by Nall). Maybe this is because I'm a grownup and the cast is the age of Get Off My Lawn, but I didn't like it much when I was a teenager either.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:Is it explicit that Jessica never came to govern Meribia herself, though? I can think of reasons why she'd choose not to, but I don't remember it being said outright that she didn't.
I haven't seen anything confirming (or even hinting) at whether or not she governed Meribia at all later in life. I'm of a similar mind though: the absence implies she didn't, since I think it'd be really odd if she governed and no one ever mentioned it (while it's not as surprising the other way around). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

kazuya
Lyton Singer

Post by kazuya »

Seeing Jessica yell at the guy testing the gang in Myght's tower after she failed is all you need to know about Jessica. And the part where Kyle says her mood swings are more violent than a hurricane... :lol:
Darkness beyond twilight
Crimson beyond blood that flows
Buried in the stream of time is where your power grows
I pledge myself to conquer all the foes who stand
before the mighty gift bestowed in my unworthy hand
Let the fools who stand before me be destroyed
by the power you and I possess...
DRAGON SLAVE!

Raining51
Saith Pirate

Post by Raining51 »

I'm all over the place

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

kazuya wrote:Seeing Jessica yell at the guy testing the gang in Myght's tower after she failed is all you need to know about Jessica. And the part where Kyle says her mood swings are more violent than a hurricane... :lol:
Nall is so happy to say that! lmao
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I have never cared for that line of Kyle's. It's basically a PMS joke, which I don't find funny.

kazuya
Lyton Singer

Post by kazuya »

Alunissage I totally respect that, but would it be acceptable to point out that the whole point of the translations by Working Design at that time were simply to make the game culturally relatable to Americans? Can we at least acknowledge that the line was likely not made with bad intent at that time? Those same people probably wouldn't make such a joke now since it represents something very different in our culture? Honestly I wouldn't even be saying this unless I loved the game so much as it is. I know it's not a work of art or anything but it is something I, just like you, grew up with. Are some parts offensive to me? Sure, but I still love the game a whole damn lot!
Darkness beyond twilight
DRAGON SLAVE!

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Alunissage I totally respect that, but would it be acceptable to point out that the whole point of the translations by Working Design at that time were simply to make the game culturally relatable to Americans?
I mean, do you think that there weren't Americans in the 1990s who rolled their eyes at PMS jokes? Working Designs's audience with jokes like that was pretty juvenile. I still love Lunar, but I recognize that not everything about the localization worked well, then or now.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

Offensive or not, Lunar has plenty of trite and cliche dialogue. The remakes also made the characters feel like caricatures of their previous selves at times (farting noises for Myght? C'mon..). I didn't notice as much when I was a kid, and usually laughed with it. As an adult, I cringe at some of the childish dialogue. Maybe the worst example is when Zophar appears and strikes Lucia with lightning and says "Tell me darling... was it good for you?" I roll my eyes when I hear it.

kazuya
Lyton Singer

Post by kazuya »

Well I liked the game and all of its trite dialogue growing up...probably because it WAS made for children and I WAS a child when I formed these fond memories and mainly because that IS the target audience.
Darkness beyond twilight
DRAGON SLAVE!

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Dude. I just said I didn't care for the line. It was hardly a critique of the entire game or the company as a whole. Things aren't all or nothing, you know? You yourself said that you find some things offensive but you still love the game a whole lot; why would you assume I didn't feel the same?

For the record, I was already a grownup when the Lunar games came out. TSS was the first RPG I played, so at the time I found the book in Damon's Tower that says "Video games will eventually rot the minds of all they enslave" hilarious. Now I'd rather fourth-wall-breaking be just a tad more subtle than that. But it's still my favorite RPG.

WD RPG WD, that line of Zophar's really bothers me too, and I think if Victor had realized how rapey it sounded he would have rewritten it. I mean, it's not a bad metaphor for what just happened, but it's way too overt.

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

To this day I absolutely love the dialogue of SSSC & EBC (^.^)
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions

kazuya
Lyton Singer

Post by kazuya »

Alunissage wrote:Dude. I just said I didn't care for the line. It was hardly a critique of the entire game or the company as a whole. Things aren't all or nothing, you know? You yourself said that you find some things offensive but you still love the game a whole lot; why would you assume I didn't feel the same?

For the record, I was already a grownup when the Lunar games came out. TSS was the first RPG I played, so at the time I found the book in Damon's Tower that says "Video games will eventually rot the minds of all they enslave" hilarious. Now I'd rather fourth-wall-breaking be just a tad more subtle than that. But it's still my favorite RPG.

WD RPG WD, that line of Zophar's really bothers me too, and I think if Victor had realized how rapey it sounded he would have rewritten it. I mean, it's not a bad metaphor for what just happened, but it's way too overt.

Purely for the sake of discussion I have to admit you lost me at the Zophar quote thing. Not sure what you mean. But replaying Lunar 1 as an adult definitely made me wonder whether Ghaleon is actually trying to pimp out Luna ! O.O

Anyways, as far as some REALLY offensive stuff, you probably will really want to avoid seeing the Lunar hentai. It is the most soul crushing and awful thing anybody has ever thought of doing with such a good story as Lunar.
Darkness beyond twilight
DRAGON SLAVE!