Nall Plush (but not the ESP one..)

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
inuki
Meryod Yokel
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Nall Plush (but not the ESP one..)

Post by inuki »

Hi!
I'm a long time lurker on these forums and have been meaning to post this for a while now. A few years ago this Nall plush came into my possession and ever since I've been really wondering if anyone knows anything more about it?

It's different from the ESP Nall plush, slightly smaller, and the tag is dated 1992 so I assume it was from the Sega CD release and not the remake. The wings are also made of felt instead of the fluffier plush material on the ESP Nall. Overall it looks quite a bit different compared to my ESP one.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows the story behind these? Were they a promo item for the Sega CD game? I've never seen one before I found this and have never seen one since. I'm really curious if anyone knows anything as I can't seem to find anything about it!

Here's some quick photos I took of him in the little display case I've had him in.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: Nall Plush (but not the ESP one..)

Post by Alunissage »

Ah, yes, the plush I would've bid on if I'd learned about it in time. That makes you one of the few people who have something Lunary that I don't. Probably just as well. You're taking better care of him than I would, probably. ^_^

It's definitely a TSS promotional item, not just from the date but from the style of the logo on the tag. Looks like it also says "design [by] Toshiyuki Kubooka". There's a photo of it in the back of vol 2 of the Japanese TSS guide. I don't read Japanese, but it appears to be described as a "UFO catcher" and was 100 yen, under some condition. (Other items shown on the page are the soundtrack CD, a poster, a sticker sheet, and a flyer. Would like to find the flyer; I have the rest.)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Since you have both Nalls, would you mind taking photos of them next to each other, front and back? It'd be nice to have a reference. Also, would you mind if we added the pics you've already taken to the Merchandise section of the sadly-neglected site?

inuki
Meryod Yokel

Post by inuki »

Alunissage wrote:Ah, yes, the plush I would've bid on if I'd learned about it in time. That makes you one of the few people who have something Lunary that I don't. Probably just as well. You're taking better care of him than I would, probably. ^_^

It's definitely a TSS promotional item, not just from the date but from the style of the logo on the tag. Looks like it also says "design [by] Toshiyuki Kubooka". There's a photo of it in the back of vol 2 of the Japanese TSS guide. I don't read Japanese, but it appears to be described as a "UFO catcher" and was 100 yen, under some condition. (Other items shown on the page are the soundtrack CD, a poster, a sticker sheet, and a flyer. Would like to find the flyer; I have the rest.)
It was definitely like a dream come true to get this little guy! <3 Ever since I played Silver Star Story when I was 10 years old, I've wanted a Nall plush. I've had my eBay account set to notify whenever someone listed an item with "nall" in the title for years as I was trying to track down one down. When I saw this one pop up I just jumped on it. ^-^; This game holds a really special place in my heart, so I really treasure this little guy especially. <3

The seller I bought it from didn't know much about it but she had purchased it from a college kid in Japan that was selling his old gaming stuff. She thought it was some sort of prize plush but didn't have any other info than that. The guy she got it from had purchased it in a shop, although that doesn't mean anything as there are many shops that sell nothing but prize goods or second hand collectibles.

Oh wow, so it shows up on the back of the guide book? I'll have to track a picture of that down as I'm curious to see it. If it was a UFO catcher prize, I'm assuming it was 100 yen per play or something as they usually are around that. That's so awesome! Knowing it was a UFO catcher prize makes me even happier as I just love those darn things!

I really wonder why I've never seen another one pop up at all. You'd think they'd show up every now and then on eBay or YJ. They must have made a very small amount of them or something. Even still, I'd imagine those coins were even more limited and I've seen those for sale on numerous occasions (still need one for my collection eventually). ^-^
Since you have both Nalls, would you mind taking photos of them next to each other, front and back? It'd be nice to have a reference. Also, would you mind if we added the pics you've already taken to the Merchandise section of the sadly-neglected site?
I would love to but my other Nall is currently in storage with the rest of my video game collection as we were working on some renovations. Little Nall escaped as I keep him by my desk. It might be a while, but I'll try to take some photos when we get everything out again. You're more than welcome to use any of the photos above as you'd like too. ^-^

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The guide the page is in is this:
http://lunar-net.com/merchandise/strate ... ide-jp.jpg

Here's a pretty cruddy pic I just took:
L1-MCD guide vol 2 last page with merch.jpg
L1-MCD guide vol 2 last page with merch.jpg (106.02 KiB) Viewed 19819 times
That's reduced to 25% size; if anyone wants a bigger version for readability I can figure some way to provide it.

And huh, I welcome you to the Two-Nall Club. Getting two Nalls (one from WD's claw machine at E3 and one as a prize for having my haiku selected for EBC) was what prompted me to start collecting in earnest, because then I needed a collection worthy of those.

I don't have a coin yet either, though. Do have the coinbag though.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

That confirms it. This was a UFO catcher item! Those tend to be collector items after their initial run in UFO catcher machines.

This is definitely one of the rarer items around. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Kiz, do you mind translating the text in the pic (if you can read it)? Though probably you have the original somewhere.

With that post, by the way, you're now listed as having 7777 posts. Congratulations?

Inuki, glad I was able to help with identification! And thanks for permission to use the photos. Not sure when we'll get to it, but someday.

Would you be able to take a pic with a ruler or CD case or something like that for scale? I'm just really having a hard time getting an idea of its size.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:Kiz, do you mind translating the text in the pic (if you can read it)? Though probably you have the original somewhere.
I never collected strategy guides, so I actually don't have this one (the only one I have is, I think, the guide for the Japanese SSS on PS1).

The text is clear enough to read. Here's what it says:
Nall Doll
After getting the White Dragon Nall, you too can set off on your journey to become a Dragonmaster. This Nall doll lives in the Sega UFO catchers. Each game [attempt] is 100 yen. It's not too hard to get Nall -- grab him by the scruff of the neck and you're sure to get him. Make a run for the White Dragon Cave (arcade)!

KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Kiz, do you mind translating the rest of the text on the page, too? I'm not expecting anything deep, just wondering.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

No problem. Heh, it's actually kind of cute what the rest of the ad says. Here goes:
_____

Side story, extra merch
Everyone knows Lunar
Here, check out the Dragon Equipment (Lunar merchandise) that you'll need if you want to become Dragonmaster!

Nall Doll
After getting the White Dragon Nall, you too can set off on your journey to become a Dragonmaster. This Nall doll lives in the Sega UFO catchers. Each game [attempt] is 100 yen. It's not too hard to get Nall -- grab him by the scruff of the neck and you're sure to get him. Make a run for the White Dragon Cave (arcade)!

CD
Next is the Red Dragon CD. You can't become Dragonmaster if you don't listen to this. It's now on sale from EMI for 2500 yen (including tax). Visit the Red Dragon Cave (record store) to get this CD. In all there are 15 tracks, including 2 original karaoke versions.

Advertised Merchandise
At last, we have the Blue Dragon Seal, the Black Dragon Flyer, and Althena's Poster! You can get them at the Blue Dragon Cave, Black Dragon Cave, and Goddess Tower (various toy stores), but it may be a challenge.
_____
~Kizyr (they|them)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

That's bittersweet. The series we've been championing since it's inception (some of us) and it just doesn't get the attention it deserves from it's creators. Indie games which are made on a tiny budget can get vast exposure, yet GameArts treats Lunar like an afterthought.