lunar tattoo: almost complete (not colored)

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Alunissage
Goddess
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: lunar tattoo: almost complete (not colored)

Post by Alunissage »

Game-related (or even in-game) and crass are not mutually exclusive. I love the games and find them funny, but that doesn't mean I have to love all of the jokes. I've never been a fan of toilet humor, though I will cop to commenting that the Zaback mine being to seek out dragon diamonds makes it a literal ----hole.

And it's not very logical to assume that all types of jewels (the dragon eye jewels being opals and sapphires) are dragon-digestion related. (Yes, I know logic and bad jokes are not commonly associated.) Their provenance would be well-known in that case rather than a surprise.

Ηiro
Lostest Boy

Post by Ηiro »

It doesn't matter to me what they're made of :) !! If the Dragon Eye Jewels were within our world, and were really "dragon turds," I'm certain I'd consider myself a dung-beetle of sorts...

Regardless - it's not something the Star Dragon said! Unrelated, I found the Star Dragon's dialogue to be a little disappointing... However, it's trivial given this is the time in the game where Hiro is finally preparing to see Lucia after all the trials he'd been through!

I'm fine with having the text redone if necessary, thanks for the thought! I followed my artist's recommendation, and I still have faith in that. I'm glad you have a fascination in the final product of my tattoo - I'll be sure to keep you updated.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Alunissage wrote:Game-related (or even in-game) and crass are not mutually exclusive. I love the games and find them funny, but that doesn't mean I have to love all of the jokes. I've never been a fan of toilet humor, though I will cop to commenting that the Zaback mine being to seek out dragon diamonds makes it a literal ----hole.

And it's not very logical to assume that all types of jewels (the dragon eye jewels being opals and sapphires) are dragon-digestion related. (Yes, I know logic and bad jokes are not commonly associated.) Their provenance would be well-known in that case rather than a surprise.
Relax, it's not that serious. :) I think we all know the reference of the dragon diamonds being made out of sh*t was a Working Designs reference, at least I don't think it was that way in the Japanese release. (?)

Good analogy for Zaback Mine.

Hiro, your tattoo artist likely wanted the text there because the template will already have been made if he/she needs to re-ink it. If they shade the dragon eye jewels it's possible the text may be avoided altogether. I would want the jewels to be as detailed as possible and that would require some color pigment other than black.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Actually, it IS in the Japanese versions, I'm pretty sure. I remember being really startled when I played Lunar Legend and saw Quark say "After all... they are my turd." A lot of the goofy humor is from Game Arts, really. Myght's BO was a WD addition, though.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Silver Phoenix wrote:Relax, it's not that serious. :) I think we all know the reference of the dragon diamonds being made out of sh*t was a Working Designs reference, at least I don't think it was that way in the Japanese release. (?)
I can confirm that the Japanese versions did still have the Dragon Diamonds being made from, well, dragon droppings. Quark even says the same line ("don't you know they're made from my sh... never mind"), so that was a straight translation and not an addition in the US release.

Y'know, as I'm playing through the Japanese EBC in the next few weeks, I may be able to spot where this dialog probably came from. We'll see. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Alunissage wrote:Actually, it IS in the Japanese versions, I'm pretty sure. I remember being really startled when I played Lunar Legend and saw Quark say "After all... they are my turd." A lot of the goofy humor is from Game Arts, really. Myght's BO was a WD addition, though.
Kizyr wrote:I can confirm that the Japanese versions did still have the Dragon Diamonds being made from, well, dragon droppings. Quark even says the same line ("don't you know they're made from my sh... never mind"), so that was a straight translation and not an addition in the US release.

Y'know, as I'm playing through the Japanese EBC in the next few weeks, I may be able to spot where this dialog probably came from. We'll see. KF
In all likelihood I probably knew this and I just forgot since it's been so long. One of the few jokes where GameArts surprises with it's humor in the same vein as Working Designs would. That's probably why I wasn't sure.

Alun, that quote was from the English version of Lunar Legend? The way it's worded rings a bell.

I haven't played anything Lunar since Harmony of Silver Star was released. I didn't buy Silver Star Story when it was released in Japan but I did buy Lunar 2: Eternal Blue for Saturn and didn't know a lick of text. I played through Grandia on Saturn when it was released as well.

If the text came from an obscure place in EB I don't remember where, but the words I do remember reading. Either Alun will go crazy trying to find her memory cards with 70+ saves or you'll have to sort through it when you play Kizyr.

Ηiro
Lostest Boy

Post by Ηiro »

Wow school has really set me back a few weeks! But yes, it's in a fairly obscure location.. I'll up the prize come November! Kind of a tangent, but if anyone has seen sword art online this reminds me of when Kirito has to obtain that really rare stone from a dragon's "nest" - rare stones being dragon waste might just be a Japanese theme :P

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

quote part 1.jpg
quote part 1.jpg (100.96 KiB) Viewed 27261 times
quote part 2.jpg
quote part 2.jpg (101.58 KiB) Viewed 27261 times
quote part 3.jpg
quote part 3.jpg (106.51 KiB) Viewed 27261 times
quote part 4.jpg
quote part 4.jpg (106.24 KiB) Viewed 27261 times
You mean if I wait four more days I'll get a better prize? Oh well.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

BTW, you have to read the book three times to get that text. That's probably why it's not in the screenshots; only the first set is there.

The whole thing is:

Seek, then make an appeal…
Turn your eyes inward and listen to the voice of your soul.
Hear the secret wish of your heart.
Dedicate yourself without reserve or love of self.
That is your wish…
That is my wish…
Follow that way and find your true form.

Seek the way your heart does whisper.
Act on what you feel deep in your soul.
Wish without regret and make the dreams within yours.
That is your wish…
That is my wish…
And that simple thing shall be my sustenance.

I shall give you all that you desire.
Seek and make an appeal.
If it is your wish, it is my wish.
If you believe, I shall make it real.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Oh, wow. I completely forgot that that book in the Fake Althena's room could be read. And, that you have to read it multiple times to get it.

...and I'm past that point in EBC, so unfortunately I can't go back and tell you what it says in the original Japanese...

Well done, by the way! I appreciate really obscure Lunar stuff like this. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah, it's not at all obvious since most books aren't readable. It was a good challenge. :)

Re the Japanese, maybe brit or jay_are can take photos or screenshots when they get there, if they see this. I'm quite curious, too. The intent of the text is pretty ambiguous. One of the priests does make a reference to writings or text of Althena's, which is the only reference I can recall to her having written text -- but it's not at all clear what the actual provenance of the text is. It could be something fabricated as part of the scam.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Leave it to Alun to figure it out! :lol: Is this Pentagulia or The Goddess Tower? It looks like a room that should be in Neo Vane, as in first glance I thought it was Borgans but I think his room had gifts and things in it. It's been way too long since I played EBC. Is the same reference in the Sega CD version?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

It's in Pentagulia, in the room behind the fake Althena's audience room (the location given by the save file is Goddess Chamber). You pass through it on the way to rescue Lucia after fetching everyone from the towers. I don't remember anything similar in EB. I mean, she has a bedroom (I remember noting in both games that there were rather a lot of bottles on her dresser), but I don't remember reading a book there. Then again, I don't remember a lot of details about that game.

Sorry the photos are absolutely cruddy, especially the colors; I was only going for recognizable. Here's a screenshot:
http://lunar-net.com/ebc/screens/7/EBC0172.JPG

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

That's certainly a big difference in quality, but the text was the focus anyway and you were fine with that.