Favorite Dialogue (By Category?)

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Favorite Dialogue (By Category?)

Post by Arlia »

So, there's lots of dialogue in the games; that's one of their best features. Everyone is talking- NPCs, party members, villains. What were your favorite things someone said? What was the funniest, what impacted you the most, what did you never forget because it was so weird/etc.

Here are some of mine:

Funny:

Ramus: "You don't have to worry about me, Nanny, I'm a big boy, now."
Nall: "Yes, Nanny, Ramus is big. In fact, he's one of the largest kids I've ever laid eyes on."
---

Alex:"The White Dragon has..."
Blue Dragon:"No sense of humor. I know."
--
Not an actual quote, but Kyle's lisp when drunk. I.e, "Jethy."
--
Nash:"The thick candy shell, of course! Don't you peasants know ANYTHING?" In response to the candy NPC.

---

Lame:

Leo:"Sample my goods". Oh man...
--
Doesn't make any sense:

Kyle, ending:"Dumb kid... Why'd you take the risk?" Duh, Kyle. Why do you think?
--
Left an Impression:

Nall:"'Bye Mom! 'Bye Dad!" Always thought that was cute.
--
Gwyn:"Don't get lost in my books..." Proceeds to get lost in books.
--
Close to the end, Mia brings up not being too thrilled about killing Ghaleon, when the others are revved up for the final battle. No one else seemed to care.

There's so many more, but I'm tired now, and if I'm in the mood to post a new topic, that's kind of rare. If there's responses, I'm sure I'll be reminded of some.

JonOU812
Red Dragon Priest

Re: Favorite Dialogue (By Category?)

Post by JonOU812 »

Probably my most favorite that I can remember
Ronfar: The trick is to know when to walk away and to know when to run!

And of course
Quark: Don't you know those diamonds are made from my sh-
Check Out My Youtube Channel: YOUTUBE
Follow Me on Twitter: TWITTER
Watch Me Stream: TWITCH

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Nall saying "Alex, I can't see! I didn't know that old rumor was true!"

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

That's Kyle, not Nall.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Thanks. Speaking of Kyle, there was also his somewhat Beavis & Butthead moment when he laughed at "strong wood"

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Random NPC: It's amazing to think that someone as lowly as you could possibly think they could clear this great game. I don't even know why I'm talking to you. You're not worthy enough to lick my boots.

In fact, I don't want you to even LOOK at my boots!

Just leave them alone! ALONE I SAY!

... Wow, I kinda lost it there huh. I better mention this to my psychiatrist.

(I'm paraphrasing, it's been a while since I played The Silver Star).
-Nobi

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah, that one was kind of unexpected. When I first played TSS I didn't mind the fourth-wall breaks and my favorite line was a book in Damon's library: "Video games will eventually rot the minds of all they enslave. At least... that's what they're saying now." That sort of thing isn't quite as funny to me as it was then, but the NPC Nobi mentioned still gets points for a totally unexpected rant.

I'll have to think about this one more to see what lines I like. At the moment it's easier to think of lines I dislike, but that's probably because spouse has been playing FFX lately and I'm therefore extra anti-voice at the moment.

Some of the lines when trying to sell event items in TSS are pretty good. I have a table of them somewhere. I don't think you get dialogue in other games for trying to sell things you're not supposed to...?

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

There's a lot of lines that were great, but for some reason that one just really stuck with me throughout the years. It's an amazing side dialogue. XD
-Nobi

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Even though it falls under the "too obvious" category since it's so early on in the game, I remember getting a huge grin when I went up to the cow and Nall referenced the "Milk. It does the body good!" commercials.

Also I know it doesn't technically qualify as dialogue, but some of the descriptions for spells and items are pretty damn hilarious. Crematorium: Ashes to ashes. Butts to dust!

Mimasaka
Burg Farmer

Post by Mimasaka »

"That jerk Ghaleon crushed the sun-tea I had sitting out."
"Ruthless bastard."

Good old Nall.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

While I'm not a big fan of voice acting, I love Ronfar's voice clip for running from battle in EBC: "You gotta know when to walk away and know when to RUN!" It just fits so well.

As a side note, it amused me that Gwyn has four voice clips for running from battle. Kind of an Easter egg since the brief time Gwyn is in the party is the least-likely point in the whole game that you're likely to run.

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

Sorry I haven't been too active on my own topic. Thank you all for your responses!

I was just trying to think of really good moments in the game when a something completely made you double-take, or bust out laughing, whether you liked it or not. Nobiyuki77 had a good one with that NPC.

Oh, you might get a kick out of this, if you haven't seen it, Alunissage (and anyone else who suffered FF X...)

https://youtu.be/9cyx6nWdFas

Blueberry Bob
Burg Farmer

Post by Blueberry Bob »

Oh Luna, say it ain't so...

As much as I'd like to think she's referring to Myght, Luna never meets Myght and this rather pungent revelation occurs well before he even comes into the picture.
"Welcome to my house! Would you kids like some blueberry pie? Fresh baked and dee-lish!"
-Blueberry Bob

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

For voiced dialogue it's the Ghaleon kills Quark scene. For Text-only...
Mimasaka wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:00 am "That jerk Ghaleon crushed the sun-tea I had sitting out."
"Ruthless bastard."

Good old Nall.
This takes the cake for me. An underappreciated runner-up:

[Vane NPC on the eve of Zophar's defeat], after talking a lot]: OH NO I'VE SAID TOO MUCH.

[Ruby]: YOU HAVEN'T SAID ENOUGH.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

That line of Luna's has always seemed so random to me (and she doesn't speak in that conversation at all in Japanese), but I wonder if it might be intended to refer to the sewer guard who says that that's why he was stationed in the sewers (also a WD addition). He doesn't say that until after she's left the party, but he has another line later which shows up at slightly the wrong time so I think it's likely that the added text was put in the wrong place.

Blueberry Bob
Burg Farmer

Post by Blueberry Bob »

That's an interesting possibility...I'd nearly forgotten about the sewer guy with the flatulence problem. I remember a couple of dialogue glitches on Black Rose Street aside from that too, like Mia's portrait showing up for a piece of dialogue before she's joined the party. Not surprising either that it was a Working Designs addition, given how much they loved ramping up the dirty humor element.

Taken together with the revelation that Jessica drools all over her pillow, I can't help but suspect it's an even more disturbing bit of "girls gone gross" humor, straight from the depths of Victor Ireland's psyche. If that's the case, I suppose the real issue becomes whether or not we have to accept it as canon if it's a US-specific addition, but an official addition nonetheless.
"Welcome to my house! Would you kids like some blueberry pie? Fresh baked and dee-lish!"
-Blueberry Bob

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

This one has been stuck in my head for a long time, because:

1) It's from a cut scenario so bringing it up is a flex. :roll:
2) What a dad-ism! And he's not half as much of a team dad in the original as he is in the remake.
tumblr_mmx5h8nYif1rbm0olo1_540.jpg
tumblr_mmx5h8nYif1rbm0olo1_540.jpg (152.65 KiB) Viewed 22596 times
「まあいいけど。」

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I'd totally forgotten that. But it's been quite a while since I've seen that scene.

Regarding the mention of Jessica's drooling on her pillow in the post above yours, in Japanese it's Kyle saying that she falls out of bed. So kind of a similar vein.