Megadrive Fan Mag with Nall on Cover

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Megadrive Fan Mag with Nall on Cover

Post by Arlia »

Edited.
Last edited by Arlia on Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Megadrive Fan Mag with Nall on Cover

Post by jay_are »

You're my hero right now!! :cry:
The first pictures look like pictures describing the events of the first Lunar novel... the one that came out on kindle.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for these!!

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Wow, undershirt Alex with a sword.

And (what I assume to be) baby Alex and Luna talking together - so cute!
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

You're my hero right now!!
Cool!
The first pictures look like pictures describing the events of the first Lunar novel... the one that came out on kindle.
You know, I've never read that novel. I guess I need to, but I kind of wish it was a physical book, and I don't have a Kindle. o_0

You're very welcome, Jay_are! More tomorrow, I guess. It's hilarious how violent Alex is with Nall in the comic, I'm ashamed of myself for not getting the whole thing. Your back goes out, and all of your spur of the moment decisions go out the window.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Considering we can make pigs that glow in the dark and we can also grow a human ear on a mouse's back, surely we could make a Nall of sorts. =P

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Arlia wrote:You know, I've never read that novel. I guess I need to, but I kind of wish it was a physical book, and I don't have a Kindle. o_0
It's a bit too long though :P It goes on and on and on about the same thing sometimes, I couldn't finish it. But then again i'm not even a fan of books, maybe a book lover would like it. I do remember reading like 3 pages about that scene with the baby Alex and Luna when they met.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

This is a different "novel". Looks like a short story, really, but in Japanese fiction is always a "novel".

In translation, the title of the story is "The Snake Ring," and it was written by Takashi Hino, one of original scenario team members. (The other Lunar 1 novelizations were published around the time SSS came out and they were written by Shigema, FYI.) I remember the lineart of Alex practicing swordplay from the artbook, and I even remember a fanwork colored version of it, but this version is impressive. Another person besides Kubooka is credited on the Snake Ring art. I suppose that's why it's not in the artbook?

Shigema is represented in the magazine too -- he's credited in the comic with baby Alex and Luna. It's title is "Prologue of Lunar: The Silver Star -- Journey's End".

This magazine is an amazing find, Arlia!
「まあいいけど。」

Taiyaki
Meribian Merchant

Post by Taiyaki »

My gosh, this is priceless. That comic is so much like what we'd expect from Nintendo Power or the likes in the early 90's.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Argh, I've been trying to get that specific magazine. I spotted it last summer and just missed getting it two or three times. :(

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

---------------
Last edited by Arlia on Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

You're awesome!

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Whoa! I have never seen this before, and I had no idea it existed! This is really a phenomenal find!

I'm going to try translating this once I have some time (next weekend most probably).

Do you think you can scan the cover of this too? It'd help to see exactly the name/issue/year of it... KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

----------
Last edited by Arlia on Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yes, I'm studying that damn language right now. Did I mention I hate you? I even have the LUNAR attack special that came with the magazine (and the second volume from the following issue) but not the magazine itself. Hours spread over months looking for that issue.

Though that does remind me that I did get the Oct 1991 issue, which has several pages including a few comics. I need to scan those; I figure they were from pretty soon after the game was announced.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

I can't imagine learning Japanese. Too many characters. Even if they used our alphabet only, it would still be crazy to tackle since I don't know any Japanese people I'd be able to converse with so I could get feedback on how I was progressing. One forgets a lot of what they learn without regular application since the body and mind has a "use it or lose it" policy. If I lived in an area where I could get that, I'd be open to the idea but I'm also sure it would ruin a lot of songs for me. :lol:

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

Did I mention I hate you? I even have the LUNAR attack special that came with the magazine (and the second volume from the following issue) but not the magazine itself. Hours spread over months looking for that issue.
Don't worry- a lot of people can't stand me once they get to know me, so if you want to take the initiative, that's okay. I didn't know true hatred until my in-laws. I thought I did, but it turns out my husband's parents are narcissists.
In any case, I'm sorry to have upset you. =/

I'm sorry to say I'm not too interested in selling it.

EDIT: October 1991? That's almost a year earlier. I wonder just how long the magazines produced material for games, before and after their releases.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Sorry, I didn't mean it literally. :/ I'm just grumpy and jealous. Should've put in an emoticon. And my very sincere sympathy for dealing with narcissist in-laws.

I'll find my own copy eventually, I'm sure. Probably if I'd continued looking I would've had a chance, but I had to curtail spending for a bit and then forgot.

Some points of interest in the prologue comic:
- Alex's mother has green eyes, his father doesn't. I don't remember if it's mentioned in the games that he got his eyes from her.
- Their clothing is reminiscent of Luna's dress around the neckline.
- In TSS, Alex and Luna were the same age (15) and that's reflected here. (In the remakes he was a couple of years older, I think)

Gotta run now!

The game came out in what, June? So the stuff before then would be promo and then the actual strategy stuff would be in the summer issues. It would make sense for interviews with creators and such to be maybe just after the game came out because readers would have some context.

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

I know you didn't, and my response was supposed to be very tongue-in-cheek. (But my in-laws do suck.)

I noticed Mom's green eyes, too, and can't remember where he got them, either. I liked the touch, though, and that Alex and Luna are the same age. I always thought they were, and never noticed when they weren't.

Although I do remember I think Alex's mom saying something about Nall didn't have wings when he was a baby.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I've considered some of those. Have one of them, I think.