A tiny itty bit of hope!!

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

A tiny itty bit of hope!!

Post by jay_are »

Game Arts, don't disappoint me.

http://nzgamer.com/news/8391/grandia-ii ... japan.html

From what I can gather in this article, Game Arts is going to release 5 digital re-releases, the first one being Grandia II?
And that the writer of this article says he hopes Lunar games to be re-released too, and since we're talking PSN, it should be the PS1 games?
These are all Japanese re-releases though.

Which is more likely?
1. PS1 Lunars
2. PS2 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash-Up, which was a GameArts title.
3. Other Grandia titles.

Nonononoki
Iluk Crackpot

Re: A tiny itty bit of hope!!

Post by Nonononoki »

Hmm, I really hope they're gonna re-release Lunar 2. Not that I didn't like Lunar 1 (which has a better story), it has already way too many remakes and therefore I would think Lunar 2 would sell a lil better.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Oh believe me, I understand that completely. Lunar 2 is like a unicorn at this point XD.
Buuuuuuut knowing GameArts' logic, they're gonna re-release Lunar 1 first. ;___; IF and only IF they plan to include Lunar in that wave.
And if it doesnt reach 5 million downloads, they will think there is no point in re-releasing Lunar 2.
Ahhhh just saying!! I don't wanna jinx this. XD

ANYWAY
I have a Japanese PSN account. Would buy both games. In fact, if I could buy more than 1 copy, i'd do it to support. *sigh* anyone else with Japanese PSN should buy a copy. But if this comes to the states, I REALLY will ask everyone here to buy it to support...

EDIT:
I THINK this is the link where it will be if you want to find out what games are getting re-released: http://www.gamearts.co.jp/products/game-archives-sp/

Also is there anyone who could enlighten us? I know about the copyright issues. Would GameArts be able to re-release Lunar 2, knowing what we already know about the lawsuits and all that? I know Lunar SSSC was released on iphones, which means that they could do it again for PSN. But I think I heard somewhere that for Lunar 2 it's a different story completely, and that it's why they haven't released remakes of it.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I can't wait for the Dragon Song remake that will be released 50 years from now.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Werefrog wrote:I can't wait for the Dragon Song remake that will be released 50 years from now.
By From Software.

You run, you DIE.
-Nobi

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Werefrog wrote:I can't wait for the Dragon Song remake that will be released 50 years from now.
It would probably come with a "New Game +" with harder gameplay, making it so walking also drains your HP and characters can die by reaching 0 hp.

OK guys, I just contacted GameArts about this "event" of theirs, asking them if Lunar is planned for re-release.
And well, who knows, game companies sometimes lie about upcoming products, or rather, they keep their secrets to themselves, but they just said:
"Thank you for your inquiry and your kind words about the Lunar series.
Unfortunately, we have no plan to release the Lunar series digitally at
this time."

I know that they wouldnt tell me even if it was planned, but at least they would hint I think.
If this is true, I... I hope they get hate mail from the fans and are forced to replay Lunar Dragon Song eternally.
If not, I will buy multiple downloads of their Lunar games from my friends' PSN accounts.
Actually I'd pay 10 Lunar-Net forum members for a digital copy of each Lunar game. Mark my words :lol:

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

That's a shame that it probably won't include Lunar, especially since I do have a Japanese PSN account and I would totally buy a digital rerelease for my PS3. :(

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Dragon Song. I made a topic a long time ago about remaking that game. By the time it was done, I concluded the people on this message board could've done a better job making Dragon Song.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

I don't have a Japanese PSN so I'm SOL... Do you think there's any chances of the games coming over to the U.S. import ps1 section in the store?

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

It's actually not that hard to make a Japanese PSN account:
http://kotaku.com/5982662/how-to-make-a ... -the-store

The only thing is, you will have to buy a Japanese PSN card to add any money to your Japanese PSN account. Play-asia sells them though (probably other import sites too) and they deliver the code straight to your email.

The only reason why I ended up making making a Japanese PSN account a couple of years ago is because I wanted to play a demo, and then Japan got a PSN release of one of my favorite arcade games, Virtual-On. So I was glad I had made that Japanese PSN account, lol.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Oh man. For PSP only owners, a digital Lunar PSOne Classic release could be disastrous.
Suikoden 2 was released the other day, and it only supports Vita and PS3. No PSP at all.
I own a Vita, and I got the game there, but I'm not happy. I have a whole list of reasons why no PSP support angers me. *sigh* so this could be a trend for new PSOne Classic games. *sigh part 2*
PS3 is disastrous too. This means that people with a PS4 are going to have to wait a year or more.
What a bunch of bloatness.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Out of curiosity, why does Lunar 2 tend to be so ignored in a series that doesn't have many games to begin with?
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Personally I would love to know why Lunar 2 is way more ignored than Lunar 1 as well. I love the Lunar series in general, obviously, but Lunar 2 has always been my favorite and has been my favorite game ever since I had played it back in the day. I would love to see something done with it! Even just a port of it to any modern system would make me happy, lol!!

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

I'm going to guess it's legal issues. GameArts, or whoever else is also responsible of Lunar now, probably thinks the effort is not worth it or won't be justified by sales, judging by how the PSP's Lunar performed commercially.
Who knows? Maybe Studio Alex took Lunar 2 with it when it died in the mindless legal fight, making GameArts unable to do anything other than Lunar 1 or anything else that isn't Magic School or Eternal Blue.

Whatever it is, it WOULD be solved with money and fan feedback. If this series sold millions, and all the fans asked GameArts (i've emailed them TWICE) then they'd probably do something about it. They said so when the PSP Lunar came out, and I guess it wasn't enough. Somoga (the people that ported Lunar SSS to Apple's iOS) have offered GameArts to port the game and have even showed them examples of Lunar 2 running in iOS (as said by one of Somoga's team) but GameArts will not green light it.

To be satirical, GameArts has no idea what Eternal Blue is. They think it's a fan fiction.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

In other words, Hell will have an ice rink before we see another Lunar: Eternal Blue.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

To quote an NPC (I think in Nanza?) out of context in the SEGA CD version of Lunar 1, the chances of Lunar 2 getting another remake are "ARE ABOUT AS GOOD AS GHALEON TURNING INTO A SPRY LEPRECHAUN AND DANCING OFF INTO THE SUNSET..."
jay_are wrote:To be satirical, GameArts has no idea what Eternal Blue is. They think it's a fan fiction.
Lolol!

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

jay_are wrote:Whatever it is, it WOULD be solved with money and fan feedback. If this series sold millions, and all the fans asked GameArts (i've emailed them TWICE) then they'd probably do something about it. They said so when the PSP Lunar came out, and I guess it wasn't enough. Somoga (the people that ported Lunar SSS to Apple's iOS) have offered GameArts to port the game and have even showed them examples of Lunar 2 running in iOS (as said by one of Somoga's team) but GameArts will not green light it.
Right now, it's all 100% speculation, so take it for what it's worth... But the most plausible scenario to me is something like this:

Publisher: Hey... the Lunar series still has plenty of fans, so remake the game for a new system...
Developer: Sure... We can do Lunar 1, which already has plenty of remakes, or Lunar 2, which has fewer.
Publisher: Do Lunar 1, that way people who've never played it before will still buy it. And if it does well, we can get Lunar 2 out as well.
Developer: Ok, we need $XXXX and 2 years for development.
Publisher: No, you get one-quarter the budget and half that time.
[Developer produces half-assed game as a result.]
Publisher: This is awful! No one is buying it! We're scrapping the idea for Lunar 2.
[5 years later...]
Publisher: Hey... the Lunar series still has plenty of fans, so remake the game for a new system...

Then again, perhaps I'm too jaded. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

No, thats completely plausible, Kizyr!
I know it's all speculation, but that seems also the case, to start from SSS every time they retry the series even if thats the only one they get XD.
Even after they said that the PSP port was the "perfect version" of Lunar SSS, they did the PS1 version in iOS.
Whether that's a good decision or not, I don't know but I like it that way.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Guys guys guys gaise...

http://www.gamearts.co.jp/products/game-archives-sp/

Check it out. Lunar 2 has been added against all the tough odds!
What this really means: Japan is getting PSN re-release of Lunar 2. How freaking unlikely is that???
I'm so happy!!

Ηiro
Lostest Boy

Post by Ηiro »

jay_are wrote:Guys guys guys gaise...

http://www.gamearts.co.jp/products/game-archives-sp/

Check it out. Lunar 2 has been added against all the tough odds!
What this really means: Japan is getting PSN re-release of Lunar 2. How freaking unlikely is that???
I'm so happy!!
I've said this once in the last few minutes, but this just took the cake - you've made my day.