A tiny itty bit of hope!!

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: A tiny itty bit of hope!!

Post by jay_are »

Ηiro wrote: I've said this once in the last few minutes, but this just took the cake - you've made my day.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
My whole rest of the year is made and more. Lunar 2 has seen NOTHING since like year 2000, videogame related at least I think?

What this also means:
There's nothing holding back Lunar 2 now. Any speculation of rights holders and complications has been cleared up.

What this could / should lead to: BRAND NEW GAMES! Even if its a few years from now.
I would buy this Japanese PSN release for everyone. Sadly, you can't gift on PSN nor do I even know anyone with a japanese PSN except myself.

Also it's a little funny that in another thread, I had made a release timeline:
jay_are wrote:I just realized something.......................... maybe this has been talked about before.
When the series was active, Lunar would get a different game / port almost yearly since it started in 1992.
1992: The Silver Star in Japan
1993: The Silver Star in USA
1994: Eternal Blue in Japan
1995: Eternal Blue in USA, Walking School in Japan
and so on, up until 2001.
That was probably the first year Lunar didn't get any game releases.
After Lunar Legend in 2002, it only took Dragon Song like 2 to 3 years to start appearing in news, which was released in 2005.
Then lo and behold, the longest gap TO DATE happened. No one is going to be surprised that Lunar took 4 years to get another game release after that. Those 4 years felt like a lifetime. But thank heavens, we were saved by the PSP port in 2009 for Japan, and 2010 for USA! And then, only a year or 2 later, words of the iOS port were spreading online. I guess the PSP port, as much as it had poor sales, was still good for the series.
2013 saw good updates for the iOS game, at least that's something, but...
2014: a new time gap begins... nothing is heard of the series.
This should be updated to
2015: Lunar 2 - Eternal Blue Japanese PSN.
Maybe 2016 could see more stuff! Like the USA version of this?

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

This news has literally made my day. After seeing the post I literally started a Japanese PSN account up, added 1,000 yen through YesAsia, and have the game downloading right now. >D

Also just want to say thank you, Dark_Fairy! I finally used that link you provided on page 1! <3

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Great!
I just bought it too. And would buy again when it comes to USA, duh.
It takes 1gb +. I can't fit this in my current memory stick. Darn me! *goes out to buy a bigger one*

You know what sucks a bit? I want to thank GameArts (or GungHo now?)
Remember those emails people sent to info@gamearts.co.jp?
I still have emails of me telling them to PLEASE add Lunar 2 (i've always insisted in it instead of Lunar 1 since it's the rarer one)
And them saying "we have no plans bla bla bla but thank you for your interest".
Now that they've put it there, they no longer support contact via email :/.
Ah well. Maybe we can message them some other way.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Gamewise, there isn't much point in my buying a download of a game I already have two copies of (three, no, four if I count the Saturn release). But I probably should get it to indicate support, not to mention the usefulness of having it on a portable, and not having to fish out the older hardware.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Day 1
-Nobi

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Alunissage wrote:Gamewise, there isn't much point in my buying a download of a game I already have two copies of (three, no, four if I count the Saturn release). But I probably should get it to indicate support, not to mention the usefulness of having it on a portable, and not having to fish out the older hardware.
Indicating support is the main thing.
I personally don't mind at all using the oldest hardware available, it all still looks and plays like new at my house.
I kinda like different version of the same game too. (even if I played Lunar 2, USA version on PS1, I'm also playing the Japanese Saturn version, now I will be able to play the Japanese PS1 version too, and support in the process!)

Other than that, I'll still buy anything several times if I like it enough.
For example, I want Dragon Quest Heroes on PS4, but this game is Japanese and will have a USA release soon. I'm waiting for that USA release, because I like the game, but i'm not overly into it like Lunar.
If it was a PS4 Lunar, I would have bought 2 Japanese copies and 2 USA copies :lol:

It's like a greedy thing, enjoyment from having more of something I like. If I went to a videogame store right now, and I see a videogame i like a lot, but I already own it, I'll still be excited and tempted to buy another copy.
Last edited by jay_are on Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I have no objection to using older hardware, it's just finding a place to set it up. For some reason we have three or four PS3s in a row under the TV, along with a Wii, WiiU, PS4, and maybe a 360. The cables are nontrivial to change. We have another TV for game playing on older consoles, with plugs conveniently located in front, but it's facing a wall right now because we had to move the table it was sitting on, and in a room which doesn't currently have great seating. And so on. Setting things up reasonably in our house is an ongoing challenge at the moment.

And actually, it'd be nice to have it on a portable simply so I could be playing it while my husband plays a different game on the TV. In the past we've done a split-screen so we could both play console games -- I think at the time I was playing TSS and he was playing FF12 -- but we only had one sound output. Which was fine as all I was doing was level grinding, so he could have the sound, but still a little weird sometimes.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Incidentally, if several people here are getting the game and want to play through immediately, we could try a thread posting about it as we go. I'm the world's slowest replayer but had meant to play EB in Japanese this year anyway (though I had the SCD one in mind). I actually haven't replayed EBC in its entirety since its release.

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

I feel the same as Jay_Are here. Even at used gamestores if I see a game I love, but already have, I DO have to persuade myself really hard not to buy it. When games hit the PSN though, it’s all over for me. Even if I still have working copies I will buy it without a doubt for multiple systems.

An example: I own Harvest Moon Back to Nature for the PS1. Original copy nothing wrong with it. I import the girl version disc works fine looks nice. Then they ported both of them on the PSP in one game – bought a physical copy. Few years later I get a PS3 and notice they have it on the PSN – both original and psp port. So I buy the original for my PS3 and the psp port for my vita. -_-

I have done that with several other games as well (SSH is one of them I have it for my psp physically and again for my vita). I know on my PS3 alone I have 11 PS1 games all of which I have re-bought and have perfectly fine working discs. As for why I do this… I think I do it mainly so that I always have a copy that can be played. Not to mention not having to switch out actual discs when playing is

When it comes to playing Lunar in Japanese it’s a total first for me. I mean I do own the the Sega Saturn games but I’ve only tested to see if they play (other than Magic School). My EBC one in particular plays really bad during the cutscenes (literally only during those), so hearing them perfectly clear without any slow-mo in this PSN release is nice. Because it was agony to watch the cutscenes in my Saturn version I actually haven’t even gotten to the spire! (I think if I was playing them on a regular Saturn it would be fine though – since the discs seem fine so it has to be my PC).

A thread could be interesting and I wouldn’t be against reading it. I just don’t know how much I would contribute to it since I really can’t read Japanese. ^^’’

Anyways, back to the PSN I have already started on my file. I’m an hour and 44 minutes in with Hiro and Gwyn both at level 12. We are just now going to go enter the Spire (while I say just now but I mean tomorrow or this weekend). I’m also gonna pause and maybe take turns because I actually just started the English version a few days back and got pretty into it again. So far in that one I only played up till the “Haunted” Mansion. ^-^
Last edited by brit on Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Ah, cool. Glad to know it's working for you. What are you playing it on?

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Well dang. I have a reason to use my Japanese PSN account again. I had been wanting to play my Japanese copy of Lunar 2 EB (even if I don't understand Japanese lol) but I don't have an easy way to play it. NOW I CAN! :D

Now I just hope they bring the English version over on PSN. That would be even better!

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

Alunissage wrote:Ah, cool. Glad to know it's working for you. What are you playing it on?
I'm playing it on PS3. I thought about putting it on the Vita, but I'd have to system restore it since it's linked to my main account and I'm not willing to fix that. ^^'''

It runs pretty smoothly. Though I'm not sure if it's me or not but when I'm exploring the background music seems a tad slower then I remeber it.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Alunissage wrote:. For some reason we have three or four PS3s in a row under the TV, along with a Wii, WiiU, PS4, and maybe a 360
:shock:
Shoot. I wish the PS4 had a PS1 emulator, like the PS3 does. Why wouldn't it? If the Vita can, why can't PS4?
I understand that a PS4 can't play PS3 games (a PS3 is a huge system and so is the PS4, would be waaaaaay too expensive)
But PS1 compatibility only needs a software. I dont understand. It would be so convenient for us owners of digital PSOne games.
brit wrote:Few years later I get a PS3 and notice they have it on the PSN – both original and psp port. So I buy the original for my PS3 and the psp port for my vita. -_-
HAHAHAHA, the face at the end.
There's nothing wrong with that. I'm proud to do what I like and keep creating good memories, not just the first time playthrough.
brit wrote:When it comes to playing Lunar in Japanese it’s a total first for me
I am trying to learn Japanese. Reading menus is good practice for a beginner!
Then reading dialogue is good for more advanced practice... but I still tried to play games in Japanese without wanting to learn anyway so yeah xD no difference.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:Incidentally, if several people here are getting the game and want to play through immediately, we could try a thread posting about it as we go. I'm the world's slowest replayer but had meant to play EB in Japanese this year anyway (though I had the SCD one in mind). I actually haven't replayed EBC in its entirety since its release.
I would ordinarily love to be part of that thread, but considering my schedule I'd be way too unreliable and unlikely to go through the game at the same pace. ...actually, given that I'll be out of town next week, it's likely I won't even get around to buying the game for another two weeks.

Still, a thread is a great idea. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I have no PSN-compatible systems, sadly, so I wouldn't be able to join in with the downloaded version. However, I'd eagerly follow people who did.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Ηiro
Lostest Boy

Post by Ηiro »

Sonic# wrote:I have no PSN-compatible systems, sadly, so I wouldn't be able to join in with the downloaded version. However, I'd eagerly follow people who did.
I would too.. I think this is one of those things that anyone, including myself, who can't personally play it at the moment would love to be updated on!

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

In an ideal set-up where I could do anything (Maybe similar to what Alunissage mentioned with split TV!)
I would have someone play the USA version while I play the Japanese version... but one of us has to be fluent in Japanese, so we can catch little differences. Though there's already a page for that in the homepage...

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

jay_are wrote:In an ideal set-up where I could do anything (Maybe similar to what Alunissage mentioned with split TV!)
I would have someone play the USA version while I play the Japanese version... but one of us has to be fluent in Japanese, so we can catch little differences. Though there's already a page for that in the homepage...
There is, but I wrote that page based on playing the Japanese Saturn version and then the US Playstation version (and looking through online guides to see what the Saturn-Playstation differences were). It's possible that there are some things I missed, though given that the main differences were technical (i.e., added non-storyline dungeons and items), I don't think there would be a lot that'd fall into that category. But still, it'd be interesting to play through it again. We might still discover something new {^^}. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

The only difference I've been able to pick up on so far is is visual. The Japanese game doesn't seem to have the fancy blue dialogue boxes like the U.S. version did. However, I do remember my Sega Saturn version doing the same thing. It only has the nice blue boxes during the menu. So is that something special that Working Designs tossed in to help with reading the font when it came to the U.S.?

Image Image

** Update on where i'm at: I've got Lucia in my party and I just have to get her back to Gwyn's but I'm gonna grind for a little bit before rushing back. I'll probablly play it more tomorrow and maybe get to Larpa or even Dalton.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I guess so. We don't have Japanese screenshots up and while I did play some of the Saturn game years ago, I either didn't notice then or didn't remember. Have no idea where my notes are now.

Have you had any music slowdown? IIRC, dealing with that was one thing that delayed the WD release, and I do seem to recall noticing it in the Saturn game as well. In battle, I think.

BTW, how are you taking screenshots?