Lunar SSSC Demo Discs for Sale

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
localflick
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lunar SSSC Demo Discs for Sale

Post by localflick »

Game Quest Direct is a site that sells new games that would otherwise be out of print. They have the Lunar SSSC PSX demo disc for $15 and I just wanted to share the link in case anyone is interested. I didn't even realize SSSC had a demo disc. Was it bundled with another Working Designs game?

http://www.gamequestdirect.com/LunarDemoDiscPS.asp

TempestOne

Re: Lunar SSSC Demo Discs for Sale

Post by TempestOne »

You had to pre-order LUNAR: Silver Star Story COMPLETE to get it in-store, I believe. I left mine still in the plastic with a slit so I can get to the disc. LOL

There's a conversion aspect to the finished video game because I think they were still working on finishing touches at the time. 8-)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The main issue is that in the demo you can move Alex's ocarina out of his inventory, which you could also do in the Japanese games. However, being able to do that left the possibility that the game would become unfinishable (or maybe just require you to reload your last save, probably before the last boss) if it wasn't in Alex's inventory at the end when he's the only party member and needs to play it to rescue Luna. So WD made it impossible to remove from Alex's inventory -- but this created the opposite problem for people who played the demo and then used their demo save to continue playing when they got the full game, because if they had taken the Ocarina out of Alex's inventory it was now impossible to put it back in... so they could get to the end of the game and be entirely unable to finish.

There's also a funny typo in the demo, where while Nash is insulting some "illiterate" person the word is misspelled.

TempestOne

Post by TempestOne »

There's a weapon you can only get in the demo that is transferable to the finished copy which is what I was hinting at. I dunno if it's a feature for the U.S. audience only, though. Out of all the role-playing games I've played in my life, it's one of the coolest features I've seen that you didn't have to purchase to get or do anything physically out of the virtual world to achieve. 8-)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I think you're thinking of the Silver Star Harmony demo, not the SSSC one. There was no Japanese SSSC demo, but both JP and NA releases of the SSH demo had the special weapon.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Since it hasn't been mentioned, Lunar's demo disc was included with Vanguard Bandits.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

That was Lunar 2's demo disc (EBC). SSSC's demo was a preorder bonus.

TempestOne

Post by TempestOne »

No... there's a weapon you can get only from the LUNAR: Silver Star Story COMPLETE demo that's transferrable into the finished, main game. That's why Nash's final weapon probably doesn't glow golden because he got something extra. I've only played through three times, though, so it's not like I am some mega-expert but I remember that fact was pretty talked about when the video game was first released. (?) It was just the littlest bit more of an incentive to be a fanatic/in the know or whatever. But, I could be wrong since it's not even talked about elsewhere here... there was, like, a Water Cane that you got only in the demo that Nash can equip and it's magic attack would get stronger and stronger because Nash, of course, would gain magic strength in levels. I actually thought my game was corrupted because everyone else in the main party would get a cool-looking final weapon but the Nash in my game's last weapon never shined Althena's light. I made that connection just now, so who knows! 8-)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Can you find evidence for what you're talking about? Surely an FAQ or a website would mention such a weapon...
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Sounds like some confusion over the Water Cane (Nash's starting equipment), which must be traded to the Hag for the Sea Chart in order to progress the game. Later, if you talk to the Hag's sister on Black Rose Street and then see the Hag again, she gives you the Ice Mace (a weapon for Jessica only). The demo ends shortly after getting the Sea Chart, though.

(And looking up my notes for that is reminding me that I've kinda left you hanging with my play-along of SSST. I think I wanted to check whether it's possible to go directly to Quark's cave with Ghaleon without going to Burg first or if the game would stop you from doing that since there's some dialogue of foreboding in Burg, and for whatever reason I wasn't able to do that in a timely fashion...argh.)

Dunno about that comment about final weapons, but for what it's worth, Nash's best weapon, the Starlight Bow, has a description of "Glows white and warm."

TempestOne

Post by TempestOne »

First of all, can I say something about how you all sometimes treat me from the short time I've been actually posting. When you all would be, like, "Can you post topical evidence for such and such...?" It comes off so disingenuous. That's all. It doesn't hurt my feelings. But, it sounds like you're all trying to. Personally.

I recall that Nash didn't start off with the Water Cane without the demo, but I wouldn't totally know because I'd always start off with the demo because I remember that fact. *shrugs*

That's what annoyed me beyond belief towards the end of the video game, when you're in Althena's Tower thinking you have such a battle-hardened party and Nash gets his Starlite Bow, the player thinking it's his final weapon that'll glow golden, and it totally doesn't! At least in my version it didn't. Then I remembered his Water Cane, so... I'd love to know if anyone managed to get a final party that had all their light-up weapons at the end. My LUNAR: Silver Star Story COMPLETE box was pretty much damaged in transit or in-store because there was a huge water stain, or what seemed like one, on the box when I got it, but I doubt it affected the actual files on the game to corrupt it, though. 8-)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I would ask for evidence of anyone in this situation. There is a question of fact - talking in circles won't settle the question, so I wondered whether you had evidence for your version of events. I'm trying to understand what you mean. If you feel that is disingenuous, that's all you.

Nash starts with the Water Cane in Lunar: SSSC, both the demo and the full version, because he has to trade it for the Sea Chart with the Old Hag practically immediately. Here is a description from one FAQ describing the event. Note how closely together meeting Nash and giving up the Water Cane are:
Walk north, and you'll meet with Nash, who joins your party. When you get
back control of Alex, go inside the Old Hag's house. Go upstairs, and
talk with her. Have Luna seduce Nash so that he hands his Water Cane to
the old lady.
In other words, the events do not differ from the demo, here described by someone who wrote an FAQ for the demo:
When you go to the top and find Nash, let him in your party. Meet the hag
and let Luna convince Nash to trade the cane for the chart.

And I looked up an image of the Starlight Bow on Lunar-Net, to see how it appeared in battle. The image for the bow doesn't change much in battle, perhaps due to lack of detail? . And now that will bother me when I finish my current playthrough. Anyway, the sprite for it in the menu is plenty impressive, and makes up for the lack of detail otherwise for me: Image
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

The Dark Scimitar is the weapon that you can only get by playing the demo, right?

TempestOne

Post by TempestOne »

I always had the Water Cane in my inventory when I finished the game, so... maybe it was a glitch. 8-)

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Werefrog wrote:The Dark Scimitar is the weapon that you can only get by playing the demo, right?
That's in EB/EBC. The only way to get it though was to finish the demo in less than 30 minutes. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Kizyr wrote:
Werefrog wrote:The Dark Scimitar is the weapon that you can only get by playing the demo, right?
That's in EB/EBC. The only way to get it though was to finish the demo in less than 30 minutes. KF
Wow, Kizyr! That worked thanks!