SAD, No plan to release Lunar series for PsVita o Ps4

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
jos24
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

SAD, No plan to release Lunar series for PsVita o Ps4

Post by jos24 »

Althena Bless u

TempestOne

Re: SAD, No plan to release Lunar series for PsVita o Ps4

Post by TempestOne »

NT
Last edited by TempestOne on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

I have some theories...

1. They are tired of making Lunar games.
2. They are afraid of low sales.
3. They've said it's up to the fans to get more games (for example helping LSSH sell more)
4. The world currently doesn't deserve more good Lunar games.

Lunar DS had a great opportunity to become a hit, being one of the earliest RPGs on the DS, but they implemented so many brilliant ideas to make the game ultra awesome that no gamers ever understood it!

Lunar SSH is practically perfect to me, though not better than the original, and still full of flaws for an average gamer.
(Like very slow loading, point and click map, no icons for items...)

In other words, GameArts just isn't giving it their ALL. They need to, if the world still deserves the series!
They need to remake Lunar2 into a game that will be so good that NO ONE will contain their dragon diamonds!!! I bet if they do, the games will just sell when people start hearing about this really awesome game with kick-ass gameplay etc.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

I actually emailed them on a similar note last year, specifically about a new Lunar game, and localizing Magic School Lunar! Their response is in my image:
Attachments
No moar Lunar.png
No moar Lunar.png (34.11 KiB) Viewed 20532 times

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Heh wow... is it ok if I post the one I got from them too? Would it be against the rules if everyone starts posting their responses from GameArts?

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

jay_are wrote:Heh wow... is it ok if I post the one I got from them too? Would it be against the rules if everyone starts posting their responses from GameArts?
Of course not; post away!
jay_are wrote:Lunar DS had a great opportunity to become a hit, being one of the earliest RPGs on the DS, but they implemented so many brilliant ideas to make the game ultra awesome that no gamers ever understood it!
Wait what? Are you serious? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

jay_are wrote:Lunar DS had a great opportunity to become a hit, being one of the earliest RPGs on the DS, but they implemented so many brilliant ideas to make the game ultra awesome that no gamers ever understood it!
No no XD the part the part about brilliant ideas and ultra awesome is all sarcasm. I just wanted to sound different. Sorry!

Also, I did email GameArts (first time I ever contact a game company)
and I told them that a remake of Lunar 2 would cause a great impact if made right!
And yes as you may expect, I got the typical deliciously made ravioli pasta.
Attachments
lunar2ga.jpg
lunar2ga.jpg (59.11 KiB) Viewed 20498 times

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Kizyr wrote:
jay_are wrote:Heh wow... is it ok if I post the one I got from them too? Would it be against the rules if everyone starts posting their responses from GameArts?
Of course not; post away!
I actually think there were several interesting ideas, if not brilliant ones, that were put in that sabotaged each other to make the game worse than if none of them had been there. Maybe should revisit that topic. I wonder if Sadrin ever got further with his remake of it.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Game Arts doesn't care about the series and they don't want to support it. I'm not going to support them for their stupid decisions. They let Grandia rot as well, so f**k them.

If there is any more Lunar it's going to be the same thing that it has been, more remakes of the first game in another 5-7 years.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Man... that day when the PSP remake of Lunar was revealed...
I dream that one day I will come to Lunar-NET and there will be news on the front page for a new game, just like that day.
I want to say I dont care if it's another LSSS remake, wait, that already happened again with the iOS version!
BTW, has Lunar been successful on the iOS?

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

jay_are wrote:
No no XD the part the part about brilliant ideas and ultra awesome is all sarcasm. I just wanted to sound different. Sorry!
Well, in the sense that the ideas they did choose to incorporate turned it into an incoherent mess, I'd say that "no gamers ever understood it" is quite accurate. But I don't think that was your meaning {^^}.

A larger point though is that nearly all of the ideas they had were executed poorly. And, the way that they were executed poorly leads me to believe that there's no interest in developing a new or remade Lunar game of decent quality. There were things that could have been done right, but simply weren't. Whether it was because of a lack of time/resources, a lack of concern, or a lack of capability, I can't say, but the bottom line is that I believe they could have made a good game but didn't.

To get into specifics, Lunar DS had the following:
- Music -- very good
- Sprite animations -- very good
- Other artwork -- good
- Dungeon/town designs -- okay
- Storyline: main story -- good concepts, very bad execution
- Storyline: characterization -- good concepts, very bad follow-through
- Storyline: side stories -- bad (weak NPCs and fetch quests)
- Gameplay: movement -- bad (running mechanic, inability to explore towns)
- Gameplay: battle system -- bad (switching between items or exp)
- Gameplay: within battles -- very bad (zero control, all AI)
- Gameplay: weapons/items -- very bad (fetch quests, item breaks)

I believe if there were a more resourceful, capable, or funded group behind it, they could have tossed out the bad ideas, kept the good ideas, and better executed promising ideas. Some things should've been simple: make the towns fully explorable instead of point-and-click, port over the same battle and item system from SSS or EB (or even Legend!), ditch the items-or-exp choice, ditch the item break chances -- those four changes alone would've improved the game tremendously, and should've taken less time than what they did instead. Other changes may have been tougher, but I feel would've been worthwhile: adding more dialogue and events to improve the storyline execution and characterization, e.g.

So, my main point is this... Given the way that Lunar DS fell through in so many specific, yet fixable, areas, I don't believe that any company is currently interested in making a good Lunar game, whether a new game or a remake, because they're not interested in putting enough resources or concern into it. I hope that changes in the future (I mean, 20 years passed before Kid Icarus got another game, and Kid Icarus: Uprising is my favorite thing on the 3DS), but I'm not seeing it now. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all :P
but as soon as I saw Dragon Song's previews before it came out, I knew it wasnt going to be a big game.
It's like, I was never misled to believing it was Lunar 3. It's like buying a card game and expecting the next coming of Jesus!

I'm a liiittle bit of a challenger myself though. I end up punishing myself on games sometimes to make things interesting.
There are some (SOME!) games that make me work extra just to level up each magic spell or each proficiency in weapons.
While Lunar was always this nice game that you can almost play with your eyes closed, or at least, never have to spend many hours grinding. Lunar in general is just a sweet light experience to relax you.

So, when I saw that Lunar DS was almost as demanding as some of those old hard badly designed NES games, I felt I could finally fight man-to-man against a Lunar game! And the music helps too. I enjoyed almost all of it.

Man... all I do is talk about Lunar lately. I should talk less and make more. BRB, I will be working on something Lunar related 8-)