What do you think the last Lunar should be about?

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Erasculio
Reza Thief
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

What do you think the last Lunar should be about?

Post by Erasculio »

The Lunar games have been hopping back and forth in time (the second one was 1000 years after the first, while the "third", Dragon Song, will be 1000 before Lunar: The Silver Star). If they keep this trend, God only knows what the next games of the Lunar series could be about...

...But, hey, since we're here to talk, what do you think the last of the Lunar games should be about?

The adventures of Dyne, Ghaleon, Mel and Mia's mother (I have forgotten her name)? While that's something I hope we see some day, I'm not sure this one has enough impact to end the series. I mean, we know what's going to happen, don't we? Not only in the broader meaning (the Heroes ae going to win!), but in the little details as well (Mel will rule Meribia, Ghaleon will move to Vane, Dyne will vanish, etc...).

The return of Zophar, one thousand years after Lunar: Eternal Blue? It would be nice, but I would expect the next Lunar games to be, well, different from the previous ones.

The destruction of the Blue Star in Zophar's first incarnation, followed by the landing on Lunar and the adventures of the first Dragonmaster, he of very strong arms? Could be interesting, I think.

The restoration of the Blue Star to the paradise it once was? The most fitting theme, I think, even if it's the most obvious one. It would need a Lucia's cameo (and hell, a Ghaleon's cameo while we are at it).

Or something else?

(Assuming, of course, we will have a Lunar 3 and then so many games later on to make the "last" Lunar mean something...)

Erasculio

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

There's a million new and different directions they could take the series if they so chose.

For one, what has happened to Althena's power following Lunar 2? I'm assuming it's still floating around somewhere, like it was before Lucia claimed it for herself. That's a lot of power just sitting around. What if someone decided they wanted that power?

Also, we've been introduced to one Goddess (Althena) and one God (Zophar). I think it stands to reason that there are possibly more Gods and Goddesses existing within the Lunar mythology. What would happen if one or more of them showed up on Lunar?

Where has the Vile Tribe been hiding since TSS/SSSC? They're nowhere to be seen in Lunar 2, except a single book in the Vane Library that has a note from Phacia in it in EBC.

And what's the deal with some of those mysterious dungeons in Lunar 2? Where did those Mystic Ruins come from? And the Dragon's Nest?

There's a million unanswered questions about Lunar. They could address any of these in a new Lunar game.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I personally want a Lunar 3 to be post-EB, something with the Blue Star. However, it certainly sounds like they're continuing the series, and not just with one new game. The Four Heroes game certainly sounds like it's going to happen in the near future, Lunar 3 or not. It would also be cool to have a game revolving around the destruction of the Blue Star and the move to Lunar, but I don't see it happening considering they named this game latest "Lunar Genesis".
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

That note from Phacia pretty much answers that question...that they integrated into human society and are no longer a discrete group. Phacia's last words in SSSC suggest the same.

An immediate prequel worked well enough for Lufia, didn't it? I haven't actually played those, though, only seen bits and pieces.

I don't see any reason for Ghaleon to show up in any other games besides immediate prequels.

Althena's power seemed to have flowed into humans, essentially....when Lucia takes it all, it's the humans who lose it.

I'm more interested in the past than the future, in general. I'm worried about the Four Heroes story, though, since I've built up a picture of events from the games and manga. I should write it down sometime.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

In that Lunar: Dragon Song blog from 1UP, that you posted, it was mentioned that in the next Lunar game he would like the game to be set far in the future. He wanted a desolate desert like atmosphere, but then he thought it would be too Frontier like. I think that has already been approached in Lunar: Eternal Blue though, considering the game starts out in a desert area where Hiro lives, and the Blue Spire resides.

I think the re-evolution of the Blue Star would be the best direction, and Lucia still holds the power of Althena. It would seem like such a waste to get that glimpse of rebirth when Hiro arrives on the Blue Star, to awaken Lucia, and you see the planet warming and life returning. Just imagine the caves, and ruins that could have been frozen in time with the planet in an ice age. There was also talk by Shigema I believe, of the possibilities of other Gods and Goddesses aside from Althena, and Zophar. There will be no future appearances of Ghaleon, because his soul was laid to rest when he was defeated in Eternal Blue. If you want to see him again, he will appear in the game based on the four heroes, if they decide to develop that game after all. If they do so, I still want the post EB game as many of us do.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

There's still the hope that Ghaleon left a hologram of himself somewhere. It would be interesting to see what happened to the fairies he took care of. There's never been much elaboration into their attraction to him, save as a soft spot he garners, and indirectly a view of his philosophy (a caged bird being better than a free one).

I would like to see the Four Heroes story. Lunar 3, taking place in the time near the revival of the Blue Star, or even during it, would be awesome too. I would even be happy with a sidestory like Magic School, something shorter, quirky, but with a life of its own.

Part of me does wonder, however, whether a Lunar 3 wouldn't have much of Lucia either, if she decides to rescind her immortality for Hiro, like Althena did. She might have to go on, to finish the task of reviving the Blue Star, much like Althena went on with Lunar for a long time. I'm just speculating now though.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Yeah... I would love to see the four heroes game after Dragon Song, followed by a direct sequel to EB.

Hiro could make an appearance as an older man, like Dyne did in SS. But maybe the new "enemy" kills Hiro off in a dramatic show of events...! Yeah now I'm just talking crazy... :P

It would be VERY cool if they only made slight mentioning of Hiro and Lucia throughout the game, but make it an option to eventually meet the old Hiro and Lucia, and possibly have them join you for an "after game event". :shock:

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

Like a lot of people I'd like to see Lunar 3 take place during the Blue Star arrival. Going with the trend of 1000 years is nice, but I wouldn't be disappoined if it was an immediate sequel. Like...all the heroes of EB/EBC are still alive (but older like the Four Heroes are in TSS/SSSC). I'd like the adventure to take place both on Lunar and on the Blue Star...I think that'd be pretty neat. Maybe like with the Blue Star rebirth comes this decay of Lunar. That could be interesting.

Ghaleon doesn't need to make an appearance again though, that would just seem redundant.

I'd LOVE it if there was this huge rich history of the Blue Star that you uncover in Lunar 3...like with ruins and stories and the like...I'm curious about that history as much as I am about Lunars
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Scorpioeyez
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Scorpioeyez »

a LAST Lunar game?? Why would I want there to ever be a last Lunar game? I think this should be the next Final Fantasy until we're playing our copies of "Lunar X: Beating A Horse To Death"

hehehe sorry, haven't had enough coffee yet today.
~ Webmaster of OtakuReview ~

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Indeed on the "A LAST Lunar game?" I think the series could have a significant breath of life, moving to the world of the Blue Star. Both it's past, and it's future would enable a lot of storytelling, and adventure.

MiaOne, you aren't the only one that would enjoy a game taking place between both Lunar, and the Blue Star. It would be funny if some dark god was hell bent on devouring the life on Lunar (Oh wait, that was Zophar) so the people on Lunar would have to be moved back to the Blue Star. The Star Dragon didn't have much story behind him either, and just being a guardian to the pathway to another world seems like a big deal to me. There was no mention of a Star Dragon until Lunar: Eternal Blue, so there could be a lot of plot development regarding it.

It would seem like such a waste for GameArts to leave such an opportunity behind, when they have an entirely new world within the Blue Star, that could bring so many possibilities to enriching the story of the series. We can only hope!

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

My Ideal Lunar timeline

1st Game where people move from The Blue Star to Lunar
2nd game Dragon Song
3rd game Magical School (since we have to have it in there)
4th game Four Heroes Story
5th Game TSS/SSS
6th game (in between TSS and EB perhaps the planned TSS sequel that was originally going to be Lunar II)
7th game EB
8th game repopulation of the Blue Star, destroying the remaining evil on it.

On a side note is a year to Lunar circling around the Earth (since to Lunar its a star), or a year as in when the Earth moves around the sun?

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I'm no expert on astronomy, but I assume that those on Lunar would perceive a year about the same (by keeping the original measurement), though it would be demarked by different seasons (12 risings and settings of the Blue Star?). Lunar eclipses would probably hold a greater significance (where the sun goes behind the Blue Star), and... I don't know. Anyone know more?
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

segaboy7
Red Dragon Priest

Post by segaboy7 »

I also would like to see a post EB sequal. but to me it would seem proper to have both hiro and Lucia in it, gathering that they both slept until the revival of the blue star. so i would think they would be either your main characters or main characters affecting the plot. Thats what i would like to see most.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

It isn't definitively Earth and the Moon, either. Dealing with the day/night thing could've been part of Althena's terraforming. ;)

It can't be the Blue Star that determines day and night, though. The Boat Song shows it in the background at night.

DDan, another one to go in that sequence would be something about the Magic Empire alluded to in the Lunar 1 books. There's also the war between Mazoku and humans that Funato said was part of the Vheen backstory, occurring between Ghaleon's departure from Vane and his return with Dyne about a century later. There are even already characters ready for a story then, since Ghaleon leaves with other Mazoku. I don't think that these two events would be the same, but I suppose they could be.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Alunissage wrote:It can't be the Blue Star that determines day and night, though. The Boat Song shows it in the background at night.

It almost seems like Lunar doesn't rotate on its axis. It just follows a path in which the lands of Althena always face toward the Blue Star and the Frontier always faces away from the Blue Star. Of course, that only makes sense since the Goddess Tower was meant to funnel Lunar's energy back into the Blue Star, right? The Fortress would always need to be pointing toward the dead planet, though I'm not sure how the sun's rising and falling could work. Would the Blue Star eclipse it every day or something? :?
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

The moon always faces a certain way. So it is possible that Lunar's days and nights are relatively based off of the Blue Star's days and nights. Remember, if I stand facing the Earth on the Moon, I will always be able to see the Earth. :D

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

It almost seems like Lunar doesn't rotate on its axis. It just follows a path in which the lands of Althena always face toward the Blue Star and the Frontier always faces away from the Blue Star. Of course, that only makes sense since the Goddess Tower was meant to funnel Lunar's energy back into the Blue Star, right? The Fortress would always need to be pointing toward the dead planet, though I'm not sure how the sun's rising and falling could work. Would the Blue Star eclipse it every day or something? :?

It would likely work the same way our moon does. It rotates, but it rotates such that one side always faces us, and the other side always faces away. The dark side of the moon (not really 'dark', just that we never see it) is much rockier than the side that we always see.

I'm no astronomist, but it might have something to do with a small body being very close to a large one. Mercury has the same orbit around the sun, with one side always facing away. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Hmm.

Post by Angelalex242 »

Theories I've made I'd like to see borne out:

Lucia kept Althena's power and did not and refuses to chose mortality.
Hiro died of old age. He's only human. Likewise, the rest of the Lunar 2 cast.
Lucia has a child who may be the the protagonist (or main love interest) of the next game.
Lucia, having kept Althena's power, may well have statues of HER instead of Althena. Hence, you get your HP/MP restored at a Lucia statue instead of an Althena statue. Lucia's name replaces Althena's in spells and churches and so on, having fully assumed the role of Goddess.

Star (The Star Dragon) is still around.
Lucia, having chosen to befriend Althena's Dragons, eventually chooses to make them her dragons. But she makes Star the new leader of the Dragons, instead of the White Dragon. Nall might be miffed about it. Speaking of which, Nall and Ruby are still around. The Blue and Black Dragons finally get official names.

The Dragonmaster is still gone. In Lucia's experience, if humans can beat Zophar without the Dragonmaster status, what else could they possibly need it for? A current threat during the course of that game may force Lucia to ressurect the job. A modified version of it, of course, to take into account there's now 5 dragons instead of 4 with trials to pass.

Lucia likewise doesn't bother with 4 official colored heroes. (White Knight, Red Priestess, Blue Master, Black Wizard). Those positions mostly only brought her pain.

Lucia has Althena's Sword. Yes, it got renamed Lucia's Sword, but the graphic is still clearly Althena's Sword. People know who the father of Lucia's child is, and that he was the last one to prove himself worthy of using that weapon. Nobody's used it since. It won't get handed out till her daughter (probably) picks someone for it. Who will, naturally, be the protagonist.

Despite all that stuff, Lucia's unhappy...and kind of lonely, really. She takes care of the world out of love for humanity in general and a sense of duty that she can't shake off. That same sense of duty is why she remains alive today.

Ghaleon stays dead. The man's done his duty to goddess and country.

And those're my thoughts.

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

Well i think the last lunar should be about magic finally leaving lunar and people having to use their own abilities (like Althena wanted).

So in short last lunar should be about the death of magic in lunar...and people trying to survive without magic.

i'll eliaborate if ppl are interseted in my idea but...until then....no

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

A lot of people seem to want a game about the people of Lunar returning to the Blue Star. I have to say that I really DON'T want that to be the basis of a game, for several reasons. First of all, it's painfully obvious. We've already been told that the return to the Blue Star is going to come. It's not a fresh, new idea. (This is sort of why I'm not really super-excited about a Four Heroes game, unless they find some wild spin to put on it.) Second, up to now, the Lunar games have been primarily medievel-esque fantasy games, with little bits of sci-fi thrown in. A game about space travel is straight-up sci-fi, and would be a HUGE departure from the basic feel of the Lunar series. Third, it would basically kill the franchise. Once the people return to the Blue Star, there's no more future stories to tell about the people of Lunar. So any more future Lunar games would have to be prequels. And yeah, prequels are nice and all (I'm super-excited about Lunar: Dragon Song), but I really want some new stories that will have new big developments for the world of Lunar.

So yeah. No going back to the Blue Star.