Lunar Silver Star Novel now in English! Officially!

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Lunar Silver Star Novel now in English! Officially!

Post by LuNaRtIc »

cj iwakura wrote:An actual book edition would be nice.

*shot*
Agreed, but being a starved Lunar fan, I'll take what I can get. :3
Payday on Friday, I'll definitely be downloading this puppy ASAP after putting my check in the bank. Also, I'm ridiculously giddy over the second novel being released next year too. <3

I'm curious about the sales for this book. If anyone happens upon the numbers, please share! <3
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

dairugger
Lyton Singer

Post by dairugger »

for those without a kindle or idevice, theres a kindle app for Android devices.

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

...GameArts could have gotten Kiz to do it for free.
Bad business model this.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Given the amount of work that goes into translation, I wouldn't've done it for free. I'd also need to request Alun as an editor. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

There's no Ramus? and  Alex's dad is dead?

That later part, especially, is a little depressing.

Although I would like to hear more about some of these locales that never showed up in the games...

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

DevNall wrote:There's no Ramus? and  Alex's dad is dead?

That later part, especially, is a little depressing.

Although I would like to hear more about some of these locales that never showed up in the games...
If you mean the various places that Dyne visits (and some random islands mentioned in the second volume), then those aren't really mentioned anywhere else outside of the novels, I'm afraid. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Evil_Goddess
Meribian Merchant

Post by Evil_Goddess »

cj iwakura wrote:An actual book edition would be nice.
I agree, books like this are so much nicer to read when you have a real book in your hand and not some technological device. But I also wonder if we would have seen a western release in the first place if we wouldn't have this new way of distribution.

Don't have a Kindle yet too since there are almost no books available yet in my native language but maybe I will give it a try on phone over the holidays, I think there is a Kindle app available and the book is a must have anyway sooner or later :D

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I recall that after translating some portions of it myself, it was far shorter than the original -- much of it has to do with the way Shigema spaces dialogue and uses lots of smaller paragraphs (Hosoe, who did the Lunar 2 novels, has a different style). I think that had it been a physical book, it'd look a little too... short.

Perhaps after all four SSS novels are translated, there'll be one physical version of the entire thing. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Kizyr wrote:I think that had it been a physical book, it'd look a little too... short.
Very true. In my experience with translated light novels, when publishers try to get a single volume to match the dimensions of your average translated manga, it requires a large font, a ton of line spacing, and huge margins. The end result looks like "my first chapter book." :P Combining volumes is the way to go. I wouldn't hold my breath on even combined physical volumes for Lunar, though. My impression is that publishers think of translated light novels as a failed venture.
「まあいいけど。」

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

At the end it says in the translation notes that the others are "soon to follow." I'm not sure how soon "soon" is, but I am glad the others are on their way. It's also really nice to see them recognize this market and translate these. There's definitely a demand for them and seeing them in an accessible form is great since we don't all have time to learn Japanese and this isn't the kind of thing you can just go to Borders and pick up. When all 4 are fully translated I would love to get them all as 1 tangible book though. From a sales standpoint it's a no-brainer since many of us will probably buy them as they are released in the kindle format, then buy the book too. I would prefer to get them as a book, but it is nice having it on my ipod touch when waiting in lines, and always having it on me at any given time.

lunasinger13
Pao Hunter

Post by lunasinger13 »

Does anyone know if these will stay on the market for a long time? I don't have the money to buy it now, but I'm afraid that it'll only be available for a short time. :(

Kizyr

Re: Lunar: Silver Star Story -The Call of the Wind- on an ebook

Post by Kizyr »

Merged topics.

Thanks for the link to the review, by the way. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)