The 2nd Mask

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Kitdra
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

The 2nd Mask

Post by Kitdra »

Ok I have a question, maybe someone around here would know.

We all know that Leo is Mystere, but was Mauri given a name for her masked disguies (sorry if my spelling is worng, I suck at spelling). Asking for future referance in story making...

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Re: The 2nd Mask

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

"Kamen no Aka Shinkan" or "Masked Red Priest" would probably be the closest translation. It was what she refered to herself as in the Lunar: Eternal Blue Lunatic Parade Drama CD.
-Nobi

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Whaddaya mean Leo is Mystere? That's still unproven. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Kitdra
Student of Vane

Post by Kitdra »

but no auchule name like how they came up with Mystere?

And it obvious the Leo is Mystere XD lol

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Kitdra wrote:but no auchule name like how they came up with Mystere?
Mystere was picked by WD when they localized it. When Leo donned the mask he didn't pick another name, but more like a superhero-type title, calling himself the "Masked White Knight" (仮面の白騎士, Kamen no Shirokishi). As Nobi said, Mauri did the same, calling herself the "Masked Red Priest" (仮面の赤神官, Kamen no Akashinkan).

Additionally, I never knew that Mauri picked a name for herself. I think that's the first time in eight years that anyone's ever pointed out something about the Lunar universe that I didn't already know... Neat!
Kitdra wrote:And it obvious the Leo is Mystere XD lol
Nonsense! Leo and Mystere are so clearly two totally separate people. If you can have two totally separate monster species that are simply palette-swapped versions of one another (like Sand Sharks in the Salyan Desert and Aqua Sharks in the Blue Dragon Cave), then is it so hard to believe that there can be two totally separate yet similar-looking people? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

Kitdra wrote:We all know that Leo is Mystere, but was Mauri given a name for her masked disguies (sorry if my spelling is worng, I suck at spelling).
Any modern browser worth anything (Firefox and company, Opera, Safari, Chrome) comes with a built-in spellcheck. I highly recommend all of them.

I do wonder why WD decided to localize Mystere like they did. One the one hand, it does sound more like a 90s comic book superhero, but on the other hand, it does sound more like a 90s comic book superhero. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the gajillion X-Men is named "Mystere."

Kitdra
Student of Vane

Post by Kitdra »

So if she doesn't have a hero name/tittle then one could be made up for her.

as for spell checkers.... I'm too lazy to use them half the time XD

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Kizyr wrote:Additionally, I never knew that Mauri picked a name for herself. I think that's the first time in eight years that anyone's ever pointed out something about the Lunar universe that I didn't already know... Neat!
Yeah, the dialogue goes along the lines of (note my translation below is not 100% accurate, I might be mishearing some words):

Ronfar: Eh, oi? Masaka... (Oi, you're not...)

Mauri: Watakushi, kimemashita! Tashika koko ni party yo no isshou ga a tou... (I've decided! If I remember that party item was in...)

Ronfar: Kora, Mauri, joudan da ro? (Hey Mauri, you're joking, right?)

Mauri: ARIMASHITA WA!! (HERE IT IS!)

Ronfar: Iiya, chotto matte!! Kangaenousete! (Wait! Think this over!!) (this is followed by dialogue that's way WAY to fast for me to follow, but it's basically that Ronfar's pleading with her to reconsider).

Mauri: Mou, watakushi o tomeru koto wa, dare ni mo dekinakute yo! Oh ho ho ho! Henshin! (There's no one who can stop me now! Transform!) (this is followed by Sailor Moon-esque transformation jingle)

Mauri: Kamen no... sou desu wa ne... Kamen no Akashinkan, sanjyo! (Masked... let's see... Masked Red Priest, has arrived!)

Ronfar: To ho ho, yamero te ba, Mauri! (Sniff sniff, please stop, Mauri)

Masked Red Priest: Ara? Mauri to wa donata no koto kashira? Koko ni iru no wa, shin no Megami Althena no oshie o hitobito ni hiromeru ai to seiigi wa BISHOJO KAMEN desu wa! (Ara? Who is this Mauri you speak of? The one one here is the Goddess Althena's new BEAUTIFUL warrior who spreads love and justice to the people!) <-- I took a few liberties with this one admittedly.

Ronfar: B-bishojo? Ikura nan de mo soitsu wa... (Eh, beautiful? I think that's a little much...)

Masked Red Priest : NAN DESU TE?? (WHAT DID YOU SAY??)

Ronfar: N-Nandemonai desu, hai... (Nothing at all...)
Vyse of Arcadia wrote:I do wonder why WD decided to localize Mystere like they did. One the one hand, it does sound more like a 90s comic book superhero, but on the other hand, it does sound more like a 90s comic book superhero. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the gajillion X-Men is named "Mystere."
I wouldn't be surprised if this change had to do with the fact that the battle window names were limited to 4 characters in the original Sega CD version of the game. I've not beaten Eternal Blue in Japanese yet so I can't confirm, but I wouldn't be surprised if it said "Shirokishi" which would only take up four kana. However in English that would be "White Knight" and wouldn't come close to fitting. "Mystere" can at least be shortened to "Myst" and it's somewhat better.

-Nobi

Kitdra
Student of Vane

Post by Kitdra »

Other then the translation thing, if there's no name/tittle, what whould be a good one for her?

I thought maybe Madam Mystery...

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Mysteria?
-Nobi

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Kitdra wrote:Other then the translation thing, if there's no name/tittle, what whould be a good one for her?

I like the name Clandestine? Madam Mystery also works well.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

Sonic# wrote:
Kitdra wrote:Other then the translation thing, if there's no name/tittle, what whould be a good one for her?

I like the name Clandestine? Madam Mystery also works well.
Clandestyne I think would best fit the spirit of WD.