Are you a Lunar: The Silver Star virgin?

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Are you a Lunar: The Silver Star virgin?

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Well then let me lead you in the direction of where the magic began. I found some YouTube videos by someone named Artificial Raven who has gameplay videos from the original Sega CD game.

I am providing one link, a very special one specifically for Ghaleon One and for those who may enjoy being exposed to the classic. I have to say I wish the recording was a little louder, and one of the cinemas is off-sync.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSOv-LRvfuQ

One more comment. Is anyone else put-off by the weird sound effects in menus from the remakes? The Gloop, and Gleep weird sounds that can't even be described accurately.

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Are you a Lunar: The Silver Star virgin?

Post by Aquaignis »

That was...interesting...the "gloop" and "gleep" menu sounds didn't bother me that much...at least, not as much as the character intro. cut-scenes...ugh! :P
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Well I was referring to the sounds of the menus in the "remakes." Eternal Blue Complete was probably the worst offender, and Magic School Lunar for Saturn that I noticed from videos.

As for the character intro music, it was more appreciated back in the day when we didn't know any better.

liquidpolicenaut
Red Dragon Priest

Post by liquidpolicenaut »

Although I'm part of the first-generation TSS people (bought it the first week of release) rather than a virgin, I never get tired of seeing/playing either TSS or EB. I always find myself going back to play those rather than the remakes....
Silver Phoenix wrote: One more comment. Is anyone else put-off by the weird sound effects in menus from the remakes? The Gloop, and Gleep weird sounds that can't even be described accurately.
*raises hand* That would be me as well. Just don't like 'em....
Visit my Youtube site!!
LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos

Quark
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Quark »

Liquid,
you go back to playing the originals because they are simply better games. The remakes just never captured the imagination like the originals. What I liked about the remakes was just that they exposed a new generation to the games. I guess that is how I feel about the PSP remake. It is just another opportunity to expose a new generation to Lunar. I am buying the PSP version mostly to support the series with the hopes of getting a new Lunar one day. But ultimately, the originals are the only games for me.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I've found another playthrough by LuccaRPG on YouTube. I'm not sure if she comes here, but her "Let's Play" commentary ranges from funny to obnoxiously annoying. I had been watching some of your Eternal Blue videos and referenced them in a thread, liquidpolicenaut.

Nonetheless it's great that anyone who hasn't experienced the original story and quality can watch and experience the classic.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I had thought about recording EB and doing a let's play, but I saw LuccaRPG had already done a good chunk of the game. Plus, recording made the game way too choppy for me to play. It came out fine recorded. I have the whole opening recorded up to where the first dialog box with Ruby pops up.

I remember I played TSS probably back in 2005ish. Maybe earlier. I don't remember for sure. I did the whole thing on a really junky old computer (Windows 98, 800MB hard drive, some crappy processor) I put the disk into the crappy computer and played it on GENS. Sometimes it would take, like 5 minutes for a battle to load, or it would freeze. It played fine other than occasionally messing up like that (had to tweak the setting a lot to even get it to work to begin with though). Fun experience. I actually liked TSS better than SSS. Oh, and I still have the crappy huge hunk of metal that is suppose to be a computer in my room. It barely runs and is filled with viruses, lol.

liquidpolicenaut
Red Dragon Priest

Post by liquidpolicenaut »

Quark wrote:Liquid,
you go back to playing the originals because they are simply better games. The remakes just never captured the imagination like the originals. What I liked about the remakes was just that they exposed a new generation to the games. I guess that is how I feel about the PSP remake. It is just another opportunity to expose a new generation to Lunar. I am buying the PSP version mostly to support the series with the hopes of getting a new Lunar one day. But ultimately, the originals are the only games for me.

Pretty much exactly my thoughts. I will admit, however, that I DO, in fact, like the anime cutscenes and Wind's Nocturne especially (I also like the cutscenes in EBC but still prefer the awesome animation from the original EB) :)
Silver Phoenix wrote:I've found another playthrough by LuccaRPG on YouTube. I'm not sure if she comes here, but her "Let's Play" commentary ranges from funny to obnoxiously annoying. I had been watching some of your Eternal Blue videos and referenced them in a thread, liquidpolicenaut.

Nonetheless it's great that anyone who hasn't experienced the original story and quality can watch and experience the classic.
Thank you and I'm glad you enjoy my EB videos! That's why I felt I had to put more videos of TSS and EB on YouTube so more people can get exposed to it and see the differences between them and the remakes and why many still prefer the originals....and why the music in TSS is ALWAYS preferred :mrgreen:
Silver Phoenix wrote:I've found another playthrough by LuccaRPG on YouTube. I'm not sure if she comes here, but her "Let's Play" commentary ranges from funny to obnoxiously annoying..
See, THAT'S why I still have yet to post a video with voice over work done by me. Doing a review is fine IF its done properly with good voice over work (Not a lot of "ummmms....." and "like..."). Nothing irritates me more, however, then when I have been looking for footage from a specific game, finally find it, get all excited, and when I watch it...what do I get? Some annoying person's voice ruining the video! Honestly, most of the time, I just want to see the game as clear as possible (crunchy, squeaky sounds from moving a video camera around too much gets old REALLY fast) and hear the music and sound effects and not someone trying to be a comedian :roll:
Visit my Youtube site!!
LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Yes, there is no need to have a running commentary during a Let's Play. There is also no need to read all of the text from NPC's or villains. I did find some of LuccaRPG's Meryod voices to be amusing. Her video quality and sound is sometimes great, and then it's crap. I think it looks worse when she stretches the aspect ratio. One thing about the Dragon Caves that bothered me was how everytime you go to the crystal room it looks like a bobbing turd.

One scene that is missing from what I've seen is the Hiro crystalization in the original Eternal Blue. I thought that was an anime scene, but it must have just been gameplay. I would have liked to see that whole sequence that transpires between the confrontation and the Blue Spire visit with the secret.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

In all my Let's Plays, I plan to have a running commentary. But that's just my style.

I prefer it since I watch Let's Plays with the same idea in mind as watching the commentary for a DVD, when I've already played/seen the game.

Though I could always do two tracks: one with voice, one without. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I understand the need to explain things, but when pop culture references and stupid humor are non-stop it becomes a chore to watch. Some people like it, and I don't mind it, but it has to be kept to a minimum or done properly. Yeah, Working Designs was all about that but it's easier to read a reference than to sit and listen to it repeatedly.

I don't want to hear someone eating, or having a conversation "off camera," or hear their telephone, or have them reference what they're watching on tv, hear it in the background and start singing, etc. It also vexes me when people play horribly and seem ignorant on how to play. If you want to inform and entertain it's at least in good taste to do it well.

If I didn't already know the games I probably wouldn't be bothered by it.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Here is the omitted crystalization scene that doesn't appear in Eternal Blue Complete:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2C6I47x ... re=related

Followed by the return to the Blue Spire and then the attack on Pentagulia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e833Ynv ... re=related

fates
Red Dragon Priest

Post by fates »

Silver Phoenix wrote:I've found another playthrough by LuccaRPG on YouTube. I'm not sure if she comes here
Yeah, she's posted here.

Anyway I never played TSS.... just SSSC on the Playstation back in 2000.

Though, I did watch Lucca's LP of it. One thing I really liked about it was finalform Ghaleon compared to the SSSC one (or lack thereof, unless you consider shoulderpads a second form). And the whole bleeding eyes thing, that was hardcore D:

Liked the battle music more than SSSC's too. But to be fair, my favorite version of the battle theme is definitely SSH's.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

*Spoiler*

The original Ghaleon battle in TSS is also the only version to reference why Ghaleon looks the way he does in Eternal Blue. He doesn't go through that transformation in SSSC, and yet he still keeps that appearance in EBC.