Im kind of sick of people saying the first lunar was better

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.

Which one do you like better?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:47 am

Lunar: Silver Star
25%
Lunar: Eternal Blue
38%
Lunar: Silver Star Complete
29%
Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete
8%

Total votes: 24

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Im kind of sick of people saying the first lunar was better

Post by GhaleonOne »

Honestly, I still think Rune Lai explained it best. And she may not even remember saying it... I just remember reading her post it on the Shrine's old boards when Lunar Legend came around. Each re-telling of Lunar 1 is just told from a different point of view from someone in the future. Perhaps from around the time of EB or even a few hundred years after that, yet. One version of the story might have come about one way from the Pao tribesfolk. Another version of the story may come from retellings inside of Vane myths. Another from Meribian folklore.

Though I do agree, the TSS telling is the best, I have no problems with these remakes. I don't try and hold them up to the original. Even Legend was still a good game for a GBA RPG. DS on the other hand...
-G1

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Jenner wrote: The story of Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete is dead to me. It doesn't exist. Just like any movie in the Alien franchise after Aliens.
Dragon Song is Alien vs. Predator then, right?

Raikage
Meryod Yokel

Post by Raikage »

......my opinion probably doesn't count much here since I've only played two Lunar games (Silver Star Story Complete and Dragon Song), but since SSSC was my first Lunar game.....it's the best for me. Until I play the other games at least.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

You got that right Raikage, if you would have said DS was your favorite we would have called you a looney. :lol: Glad you liked SSSC though.

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Werefrog wrote:
Jenner wrote: The story of Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete is dead to me. It doesn't exist. Just like any movie in the Alien franchise after Aliens.
Dragon Song is Alien vs. Predator then, right?

No, Dragon Song is the fanfic/movie script written by the person who has never seen any of the games all the way through, has no idea what's going on with the history of the franchise and just looks at the numbers of all the money people are throwing at it and vomits up some pointless rape of the established theme, concept and continuity for ??? and then profit.

Kinda like the up-coming Avatar Movie but not at all like the Star Trek Movie (because the Star Trek movie actually did a respectable job of honoring the established context.)
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Jenner wrote: No, Dragon Song is the fanfic/movie script written by the person who has never seen any of the games all the way through, has no idea what's going on with the history of the franchise and just looks at the numbers of all the money people are throwing at it and vomits up some pointless rape of the established theme, concept and continuity for ??? and then profit.
So... it is like Alien vs. Predator.

I'm holding off judging Avatar until I actually see it, or I read a review of the finished project.

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Werefrog wrote:
Jenner wrote: No, Dragon Song is the fanfic/movie script written by the person who has never seen any of the games all the way through, has no idea what's going on with the history of the franchise and just looks at the numbers of all the money people are throwing at it and vomits up some pointless rape of the established theme, concept and continuity for ??? and then profit.
So... it is like Alien vs. Predator.

I'm holding off judging Avatar until I actually see it, or I read a review of the finished project.
>.> no because Lunar: Dragon Song is WORSE than Alien vs Predator.

I actually liked some of the people in Alien vs. Predator.

Additionally, please come back to this post and see this lovely I told you so after you read a The Last Airbender review.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Okay, when M. Night Shamwow somehow writes a twist-ending into Avatar, I'll remember you warned me. (Possible twist-endings: the Avatar is dead and everyone who sees him has the sixth sense or the Fire Tribe is actually allergic to water.)

Keitaro
Meryod Yokel

Post by Keitaro »

I played only Lunar Legend on GBA and i felt in love with this game. Cannot stop thinking about Lunar world :P I was reading this and other topics and i still don't know, which game should i play next. Is Lunar SS sega version really so much better than psx one? As far as i saw in gameplays Lunar on sega looks more oldschool-like, there is no anime-animation etc. It's not that those elements are most important, but psx version looks more approachable - it may be more easy to play after Lunar Legend.

And i know those games are hard to get (especially sega version), but i don't want to select it depending on availability.

Sorry for nobish question and for writing in old topic!

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

The Sega CD version is worth playing to see how the series began and how the story was much darker, and the music is amazing. The Saturn/PlayStaion remake changed the story but also improved vertain things. There is animation in the Sega CD version, but obviously the PS1 version had better capabilities. The music for the most part isn't as good as the Sega CD version, but Silver Star Harmony really improved the music from the first remake and is good in it's own way.

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

I finally got the guide to TSS so I am looking forward to finishing my copy on the emulator. I really liked what I played in TSS more than SSSC. SSSC was my first one, but nothing will ever top either Lunar 2. I am all for the darker plots and mature characters, but it doesn't mean NOTHING unless you play 1. I still cry playing 2 even though I haven't picked up SSSC in ages. I got through EB once but I don't remember much difference in comparing it to EBC. So they tie with me. Oh, and Legend... I saw my friend play it. -shrug- I've been looking for a complete copy to add to my collection and to actual complete despite the horrible translation. The sprites from Legend are epic and I'm sad I never got to use the limit gauge before SSH (kinda speaking in the future here).

And Dragon Song... Just no. I couldn't -bleeping- equip my armor and stuff! I mean, it's not hard to make a usable shop system!! >> I also spent forever figuring out where to go in the first dungeon because it didnt tell me where the monster took my package.. youd think it was either further along in the cave or in a chest behind the boss, but no, its like the 2nd screen of the dungeon. I mean seriously, W.T.F.

Solana
Student of Vane

Post by Solana »

Eternal Blue Complete is my favorite, and most people I've talked to have disagreed. But, that's not so unusual. :P

Although I love all the characters, it's the Ronfar/Mauri/Leo storyline that really grabbed me. (As my fanfics on the Shrine will prove. 8-) ) The tragic past, the tearful parting, how things changed over the game and how it all resolved.... (sniffs.) To this day, the Serak Palace scene is my absolute favorite moment in any game, and my favorite love story in any media. Ronfar is a gentleman in his way, (gambling and drinking and pervertedness aside), and I think Mauri really brought that out in him. Especially the way he risked his life to go into Mauri's mind to free the woman he loved. (Which to me was far more dramatic than the other couples' stories, especially in EBC.) Having Leo in there with the brother and best friend ties added a nice twist to it, especially with Ronfar helping out Hiro and Lucia instead of turning them over.

... I have to play through that again sometime soon.
This is either madness, or brilliance- Will Turner
It's remarkable how often those traits coincide- Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

...apparently I voted, but darned if I remember which one I voted for! Probably EB or EBC, but I honestly can't remember.

Well, they each have their strengths. I love the atmosphere, for lack of a better word, of TSS, but I greatly prefer the music (and cutscenes) of SSSC. To me, Iwadare didn't start sounding like Iwadare until Eternal Blue, so SSSC's redone music was exactly what I wanted to hear. (Not to mention SSH's beautiful OST.)

And regarding EB and EBC...I dunno. I haven't played far in EB, but what I have played has blown me away. I guess I'll have to play some more and figure it out later.

Saga
Saith Pirate

Post by Saga »

It's so hard to compare the two stories because they differ so much. But I really enjoyed Silver Star because it's the one that started it all! The story is so classic and memorable. When you play EB which is 1000 years later, you kind of feel like you're a veteran in the world of Lunar. When they reflect back on what took place in the first Lunar game (The Playstation version anyway) you kind of grin and say "Yeah I was there!"

I don't know really. I guess the first one is what really captivated me the most and got me introduced, so when I played the second game I already kind of knew what to expect? But the two games are both beautiful and VERY unique. I have a very hard time comparing them and simply deciding which one could be "better." x3

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Hmmm.

Interesting balance.

On one side, you've got TSS and SSSC evenly balanced, with SSSC slightly in the lead.
For EB, though, EB is apparently leaps and bounds above EBC, with a ratio of 9 to 2.

And I was one of the 2, simply because I don't own the old Sega games, so I can only vote for what I've played.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

kevlar51
NPC

Post by kevlar51 »

Sorry, a bit late to this party. I just finished up with SSH--it's been forever since I played Lunar and after this one I've finally made up my mind that the story changes from TSS to SSSC (also included in SSH) make this game inferior to the point that I don't even like it.

If you haven't played any of the games, there are some ~SPOILERS~ here.

TSS was great, though the premise was much simpler--former good guy, now villain wants to take over the world. SSSC's story was: former good guy, now villain wants to take over the world because he believes the world cannot function without a god.

But then the story with EB doesn't change--former good guy now villain realizes he was wrong and redeems himself. I recall being quite moved when I first heard the "Are you watching in secret Dyne ..." line.

What's ALWAYS bothered me is they took the touching story of Ghaleon's redemption (TSS/EB) and turned it into a story of how Ghaleon sold out his own beliefs.

Plus, in the original EB, it was a pretty big shock to find out that Luna never returned to the Althena form. After all, you'd been spending all game looking for Althena.

On the PSX, you know it's a wild goose chase if you played SSSC so the scene where Luna appears, while still touching, doesn't carry the shock value.

Pretty big ways to kill the story, IMO.

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

I've only played the playstation remakes (as well as the GBA and psps remake of SSS). However when I bought the games I got Lunar 2 first becuase I liked the artwork. After playing through it I went and got the first one.

I play them both every summer and I have to say EBC is actually my personal favorite because I do love the characters a lot more. Especially Hiro and his introduction when he's going on about his dream of exploring ruins that time forgot. ^^

However I might like it more simply because it was my first Lunar game as well. ^^

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

Solidor
Burg Farmer

Post by Solidor »

I didn't enjoy EB, well, EBC, as much because I found a lot of stuff irreconcilable with SSSC:

Zophar suddenly just popping up - where was he is SSSC? All the ruins; though, I can somewhat buy it if the reason was that they were on the frontier. The goddess' power being used through song; though, again, I think this wasn't as heavily emphasized in TSS as SSSC but can I help it if I was spoiled by the latter?