Something I noticed about the original Lunars

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Sonix
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Something I noticed about the original Lunars

Post by Sonix »

Is how they aged. I just started with TSS few days ago and it looks... well, horrible. I'm really, having a hard time playing it. If it wasn't for the story, motivation to beat the first Lunar and the battle theme(which rocks, I love it, unlike the one in SSSC), I wouldn't be able to play it for more than 30minutes.

And on the otherside, we have EB, which aged A LOT better. I still think EB looks great and prefer it over EBC. Its kinda hard to believe how much better it looks then its prequel, on the same system.

I don't know, maybe I was expecting too much from it. I usualy have no trouble playing old games, even the ones before the Sega CD, but TSS was just something else. When I played EB after EBC I was actualy stunned, thats how amazing EB is, but with TSS, the story was just reversed, I was surprised how bad it looks.
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Re: Something I noticed about the original Lunars

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

I've had no problem recently. I just started playing the Japanese version, I still love this game. *hugs the game*
-Nobi

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

This is going to sound weird, but I have a harder time playing PS-era RPGs than I do SNES-era RPGs. Fuzzy 3d graphics make me sick to my stomach.

liquidpolicenaut
Red Dragon Priest

Post by liquidpolicenaut »

I can see where you're coming from on this as Lunar is what is. It never really pushed the system in the first place and was also rushed to market in Japan. I still think it looks as good as it did back when I first bought it....

As for EB, I couldn't agree more. I just turned on EB for the Sega CD again today and it still looks gorgeous to me. So much detail in the graphics and, once again, an incredible soundtrack.

I remember looking forward to making it to Meribia in EB just to see how it changed in 1000 years and was amazed at how much more detailed it was. Sadly, between SSSC and EBC, it didnt look like it changed much at all....
Visit my Youtube site!!
LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Werefrog wrote:This is going to sound weird, but I have a harder time playing PS-era RPGs than I do SNES-era RPGs. Fuzzy 3d graphics make me sick to my stomach.
Thumbs up! XD

Lunar 1 on Sega CD was just sweet with those really old looking graphics =D I feel SORRY for those who cant enjoy it. ahhhh... 1992.
My favorite was the old gameboy, every game had just 4 colors, and they looked awesome!
I love 2D, it is basically seeing beautiful drawings. Way to go SNES looking graphics! =D
Earlier 3D games are just polygons with an ugly drawing on it, stretched, and then looks blocky. N64 Is full of blurred textures, or no texture at all! Just plain polygons.

Well even then, I still have some favorite games that are 3D, like Alundra2, and a few more! Xenogears too.

cj iwakura
Student of Vane

Post by cj iwakura »

I just replayed TSS a few months ago, and loved it.

The Sega CD Lunars have so much more life to them.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

jay_are wrote: N64 Is full of blurred textures, or no texture at all! Just plain polygons.
:shock: Image

These graphics were top notch, N64 was the best of its generation and its aged well,in my opinion. I'd much rather play Ocarina of Time over a 2D zelda any day.

Ruby
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Ruby »

I haven't played my copy of TSS recently, but I have to say that from what I remember I can see how you could say it hasn't aged well in comparison to later offerings. I love the game for what it was, but it has a lot of "first time mistakes" that are pretty plain to see. IIRC what hurt TSS most compared to EB was just the presentation of said graphics. Smaller portraits, plain borders, small icons, but this all got refined a lot in EB and SSS.

But what stood out the most to me in TSS as the most glaring wasn't the graphics, and not the story, but the "crunchy bits" of the combat. You can really see where in EB and all the later games they totally revamped the way combat works in the game. The "tells" of the enemies are clearer, the amount of restoration items is reduced and refined, item inventory for combat doesn't take up the same space as equipment, and there's less equipment overall. Also in TSS you can pretty much run away from everything, status effects aren't clear, and there's less strategy about particular spells. (IE: Dragon spells are all just damage rather than having effects particular to the dragon, most spells are just, "And so I got a bigger stick")

I know that sounds like a lot, but it really only stands out, IMHO, compared to the games that came /after/ TSS. The team learned from what didn't work so well and improved upon it. At the time I was like, "This is the best thing /ever/!" because it was. The complaints I made about the combat system, items, etc. are complaints that I could make about almost every other RPG I can bring to mind at the time. They really did put a lot of revolutionary concepts into the game that wouldn't be duplicated for years, if at all, to make the combat actually play well and mean something, which I can't say for a lot of titles.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I'm fine playing Nintendo games from the N64 era. It's mostly just old PS RPGs that I can't play. I tried to play Xenogears a few years back, and it literally hurt my head (and I hadn't even got to all the pseudo-philosophy yet!) looking at the graphics. I've never had this problem playing any 2D RPG.

Also, although I love Ocarina of Time, I much prefer A Link to the Past.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

exigence wrote:
jay_are wrote: N64 Is full of blurred textures, or no texture at all! Just plain polygons.
:shock: Image

These graphics were top notch, N64 was the best of its generation and its aged well,in my opinion. I'd much rather play Ocarina of Time over a 2D zelda any day.
Are you sure that screenshot isn't from the GC version? It looks a little too clear to be N64.

How could you prefer OOT to LTTP?

liquidpolicenaut
Red Dragon Priest

Post by liquidpolicenaut »

Yeah, those shots look crisper than the actual N64 shots....

I gotta say, though....I HATE the N64. I tried a little while ago to play OoT and...I cant. Its too damn blurry! To disagree with another post, I can still easily play Xenogears and love it. To love it even more, I sometime play it with the smoothed out graphics on the PS2. Aside from some glitches, I like it :)

On the other hand...I love LttP. Still the best Zelda for me ever :)
Visit my Youtube site!!
LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

I also think A Link to the Past is the best Zelda game.
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

liquidpolicenaut wrote: I gotta say, though....I HATE the N64. I tried a little while ago to play OoT and...I cant. Its too damn blurry! To disagree with another post, I can still easily play Xenogears and love it. To love it even more, I sometime play it with the smoothed out graphics on the PS2. Aside from some glitches, I like it :)
I was just describing my subjective experience. I'm sure I'm in the minority here, like people who become ill playing certain FPSes.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I started SSSC last night on the giganto TV and the opening was just SO pixellated-looking. But I had no trouble with the in-game graphics.

And I'm one of the ones who gets motion-sick from many 3D games. :| I threw up while playing Panzer Dragoon Saga. I could handle the boss battles, but the regular movement a-dragon was trouble. I do wonder whether a more modern, smoothed-out version of that game would be easier to handle, but it probably would be worse.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

The one time I threw up from a video game was when I was already sick and I thought I was going to get on my N64 and play Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. :lol: It happened only a couple of minutes in. lol

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

liquidpolicenaut wrote:Yeah, those shots look crisper than the actual N64 shots....

I gotta say, though....I HATE the N64. I tried a little while ago to play OoT and...I cant. Its too damn blurry! To disagree with another post, I can still easily play Xenogears and love it. To love it even more, I sometime play it with the smoothed out graphics on the PS2. Aside from some glitches, I like it :)

On the other hand...I love LttP. Still the best Zelda for me ever :)
ya there from the N64 the B button is green, They made it red on the gamecube because of the controler. Majoras mask looked even better because of the expansion pack too bad it wasn't as much fun.

and you can see they changed the mirror sheild,

its like nintendo's slowly ruining one of my favorite childhood memories.

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

I only played the TSS for the first time fairly recently (around 2006) and it held up well, I thought. There are some games that I absolutely can not play anymore because the graphics bring on my migraines - FFVII is a huge culprit, I just can't stomach the lego characters long enough to get out of Midgar - but TSS definitely isn't one of them. Though I agree that the first time I play EB (also around 2006) I was blown away that it was a Sega CD game.
- Mike