A Look at Some of the Old Concepts from Lunar: Eternal Blue

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

A Look at Some of the Old Concepts from Lunar: Eternal Blue

Post by LunarRaptor »

http://www.kidfenris.com/ Just schroll down until you hit "Actual Working Designs", with the date June 21, 2008 just under it. Here you find some abandoned artowkr from when Alex and co were still supposed to appear. I don't how many of you have ever seen this, but I thought I'd share it since I found it.

Huh, apparently, Alex adapted 'The Swayze' look. The bottem image of the section looks to be one of those "I don't want to ask" things
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Re: A Look at Some of the Old Concepts from Lunar: Eternal Blue

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Awesome!

CatsWithMatches
Red Dragon Priest

Post by CatsWithMatches »

Good find!

I just spent a half hour digging through the rest of the stuff on there... some interesting stuff...

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

These are scans from the Lunar I/II artbook.

It's nice, but unfortunately the interpretation of them is wrong. These weren't ever concept designs for what Lunar 2 would be about, but what the characters of Lunar 1 would be like after the events of the first game. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

You sure, Kizyr? Originally, Alex and co WERE supposed to be in Eternal Blue, after all.

I know this sounds rude, but I'm merely curious. What makes you think that they're just concepts of what they were after the first game? Why would the creators bother with that?
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

He probably thinks that from reading the text that accompanied the drawings in the artbook. He can do that, you know.

Also, the scanned images aren't the only ones on those pages. There's another one of Alex (from the shoulders up) in the Dragonmaster armor, looking like an honest-to-goodness adult, and one of Luna, also from the shoulders up, looking about the same age. What little can be seen of her outfit is somewhat similar to what she wears in the recording in EBC. So it doesn't seem like these sketches are indicative of a definite idea of how the characters would look.

I know this is new to you, but since the site you got it from even says it's scans of an artbook that's been out for a while, wouldn't you think that it'd already be known? A lot of us have the artbook in question, whether we can read it or not.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Probably because Lunar games are expensive and fairly hard to come by and the swag is even more expensive and RIDICULOUSLY hard to find by comparison.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

That artbook's been available on eBay stores and sometimes auctions every time I've looked for, oh, the last couple of years? Usually priced for about what I paid for my first one new in 2001, or less.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

LunarRaptor wrote:You sure, Kizyr? Originally, Alex and co WERE supposed to be in Eternal Blue, after all.

I know this sounds rude, but I'm merely curious. What makes you think that they're just concepts of what they were after the first game? Why would the creators bother with that?
Because that's what it says in the captions and the text below the pictures. Y'know, from the creators. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Bravo 29
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Bravo 29 »

*goes to look*

Oh gosh, that's so funny, Ramus with a monocle. I wonder if that means he's a wizard now, since it's common knowledge that all wizards wear monocles. :lol:

Man, Alex REALLY let his hair down, and I couldn't imagine Luna showing off that much leg. Maybe she liked the Dark Goddess outfit more than she lets on, the world may never know. :lol:

Great find, in any case. Man, I really missed out on these. :D

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

You read Japanese, then? Can you translate what the images say, please? I'm very curious about it now.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

LunarRaptor wrote:You read Japanese, then? Can you translate what the images say, please? I'm very curious about it now.
I have the book itself at home. I'm on vacation now, but when I'm back home later this week then I'll take a look at them.

EDIT: What's in the scans are just things talking about what the characters did after the events of the game. Alex/Luna settled down in Burg. Mia became the Premier of the Guild (and grew breasts--seriously, that's what one caption says), and started teaching. Jessica became more ladylike. The general tone is about what happens when the characters settle down, not about the setup for a new game/adventure. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Alright. I can wait.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

I wouldn't be so quick to say these weren't for a potential sequel idea that was later scrapped. There was an interview I read (I think it was in the EBC strategy guide) where Kei Shigema stated that the original plan was to have the game take place 10-ish years later, featuring new characters AND the originals, but then they changed it to be 900 years ahead and made a completely new cast and story. These images would certainly seem to support that claim.

While the descriptions are, as Kizyr has translated, more "settled down" in tone instead of off to a new adventure, the possibility of that being their setup before the eventual calamity that leads them off on a new adventure shouldn't be ruled out either.
-Nobi

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

I'm thinking the same thing, but I'm not going to argue with the person who can actually read the stuff in question, though.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

There was an old magazine that had a bit of info about a sequel to TSS that stated the game would take place shortly after TSS with the original gang. Thinking back, that could have also been bad reporting (ie. not getting their facts straight) but I do remember screenshots with it. I'll have to try and dig that magazine up someday and scan it.

There's also the comments by one of the writers (Shigema possibly?) in an interview (should be on this site somewhere) whether they said they created 3 stories. The Four Heroes story (Dyne and co.), the Lunar 1 story, and the Lunar 2 story. Though I think originally, they had planned the Lunar 2 story to take place right after Lunar 1. I don't remember exactly what was said though. Dig around the Lunar I+II interviews and possibly the Ryousirow Hasukawa interview.

http://www.lunar-net.com/interviews/
-G1