Potential Lunar Remakes.

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Potential Lunar Remakes.

Post by DezoPenguin »

Alunissage wrote:
Angelalex242 wrote:Is if Alex asked her to, you mean?

Of course, she'd make him put Dragonmaster stuff on to match, but hey...
Not even remotely comparable. Dressing in a hyper-revealing outfit symbolic of being enslaved, dominated, and used, with her 'self' obliterated, vs dressing like a legendary, all-powerful hero (and entirely covered up)? I don't think so. Asking her to do that would be so hurtful and hateful that I can't imagine Alex doing it... but I can imagine Luna ripping to shreds anyone suggesting it.
Yeah, I can barely see Luna as a married woman dressing in any number of various revealing and/or alluring nightwear (and asking Alex to do the same) but not that particular outfit.

Though to be fair, I can see Jessica and Kyle (or even Nash and Mia) doing bedroom games cosplay far, far more easily than I can see Luna and Alex doing it. Honestly, they're just not the type.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

My mistake on his name. Anyway, I didn't say anything about Johnny's acting skills one way or the other, but I just don't think his voice wuld work for Alex. Johnny Yong Bosch always does his best as more talkative characters (Ichigo, enough said). What is needed for Alex is someone with a quiet and reserved sounding voice who can portray Alex's more thoughtful nature well, as well as his innocence.
A couple that come to mind right off would be Jeff Bennett, or maybe Kirby Morrow. Bennett has one of the most impressive voice acting resumes in the business right now, and Morrow has a youthful sounding voice that can do anything from impulsive to level sounding.

I know I will be hunted down and burned for this, but I was never fond of John Truitt as the voice of Ghaleon. When I first played Lunar Legend, I didn't hear that high toned, almost snooty voice coming from his mouth. What I heard was something more along the lines of Christopher Lee, whose very presence demands authority and respect. He speaks, everyone listens.

As for the...other discussion. I think we're taking this into scary territory.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Omega
Student of Vane

Post by Omega »

Yeah, lets call off the other discussion before a certain someone musters the courage to put Hentai Doujin on the forum. :o

Well, I kinda thought David Gallagher would do better as Alex. He did great as Riku in both Kingdom Hearts games. Anyway, As for Ghaleon, I'd think either Paul Dobson (Naraku) or George Newbern (Sephiroth) could do wonders for Ghaleon.
Those who underestimate the power of the human spirit are destined to fail... and that means you, Ghaleon!

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

I agree,the outfit discussion was funny for while, now its just going down a road it shouldn't.

David Gallagher could work. He could add a quality that lets you feel that there's something more beyond what you see on the surface of Alex.
Speaking of former Kingdom Hearts cast members, though, what do ya think of Hayden Panettiere for Luna? She can even sing.

Good choices on Ghaleon. Paul Dobson would be absolutely perfect! He actually played a similar kind of character of an anime called The Vision of Escaflowne (misled and conflicted tragic figure who retains enough of his dignity that he's still a very commanding and imposing leader).

As for other voices. Hmm. Well. I can think of two potential voices of Kyle right off the top of my head: Daran Norris and Wally Wingert.
Daran Norris is a very talented voice actor who can nail a character like Kyle in his sleep. And Wally Wingert is the voice of Renji on Bleach.

Jessica... Well, as long as it isn't Tiffany Grant, I'm alright with it. The last thing I want is the ability to associate Jessica D'Arkirk(sp?) with Asuka Langley Soryu because of that imfamous voice. *shudders* Jennifer Hale or Amanda Wynn Lee, maybe?

Nash. Prerequisite for this role: No Greg Aryes allowed. Nash is annoying enough without sounding like someone stuffed a bottle brush down his throat.
So, someone who can sound cocky, snooty, and spoiled. Hmm.

Mia. As long as it isn't any of those voice actresses who insist on making all their roles sound like Minnie Mouse, I can pretty live with whoever they cast. Ruby Marlowe, maybe?

Nall. I say drop the uber high-pitched voice. We know Nall is a boy, and a complete smartass. While listening to him make wise-cracks with Mia's voice upped to Mickey Mouse's level of pitch, my brain just rejected it completely. "Does not compute" fashed before my eyes.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Omega
Student of Vane

Post by Omega »

LunarRaptor wrote:I agree,the outfit discussion was funny for while, now its just going down a road it shouldn't.

David Gallagher could work. He could add a quality that lets you feel that there's something more beyond what you see on the surface of Alex.
Speaking of former Kingdom Hearts cast members, though, what do ya think of Hayden Panettiere for Luna? She can even sing.

Good choices on Ghaleon. Paul Dobson would be absolutely perfect! He actually played a similar kind of character of an anime called The Vision of Escaflowne (misled and conflicted tragic figure who retains enough of his dignity that he's still a very commanding and imposing leader).

As for other voices. Hmm. Well. I can think of two potential voices of Kyle right off the top of my head: Daran Norris and Wally Wingert.
Daran Norris is a very talented voice actor who can nail a character like Kyle in his sleep. And Wally Wingert is the voice of Renji on Bleach.

Jessica... Well, as long as it isn't Tiffany Grant, I'm alright with it. The last thing I want is the ability to associate Jessica D'Arkirk(sp?) with Asuka Langley Soryu because of that imfamous voice. *shudders* Jennifer Hale or Amanda Wynn Lee, maybe?

Nash. Prerequisite for this role: No Greg Aryes allowed. Nash is annoying enough without sounding like someone stuffed a bottle brush down his throat.
So, someone who can sound cocky, snooty, and spoiled. Hmm.

Mia. As long as it isn't any of those voice actresses who insist on making all their roles sound like Minnie Mouse, I can pretty live with whoever they cast. Ruby Marlowe, maybe?

Nall. I say drop the uber high-pitched voice. We know Nall is a boy, and a complete smartass. While listening to him make wise-cracks with Mia's voice upped to Mickey Mouse's level of pitch, my brain just rejected it completely. "Does not compute" fashed before my eyes.

I know i'm gonna be hunted down and mutilated for this... but as far as luna was concerned, i figured Carrie Savage could do it. she did a good job as Lyon, not to mention she voiced Haruka in Rumbling Hearts.

As for Kyle... How about Trevor Devall? He voiced Mu La Flaga in Gundam Seed and Seed Destiny.

Nash... Kirby Morrow would sound perfect. either that or joshua seth.

Mia: Kelly Sheridan (Sango).

Jessica: how about Wendee Lee? (Shion, Raquel)
Those who underestimate the power of the human spirit are destined to fail... and that means you, Ghaleon!

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Why would you be hunted down for suggesting Carrie Savage? :?: She's just as good a choice as a lot of other voice actresses.

I considered Wendee Lee for Jessica, too, but I figured we already had too many people from Bleach (Wally Wingert and Johnny B. Yong) mentioneded for this. I think any of the three actresses suggested so far would do good as her.

Hmm. I hadn't considered Kelly Sheridan for Mia. When I think of Sheridan, I associate the name with her character, Sango: the Very Professional Youkai Slayer from InuYasha. Hmm. She did do Stella in GS: Destiny (not a very good comparison, but bear with me), so she is able to sound quieter and more innocent.

Kirby Morrow would do well as Nash, though he'd have to tone up his voice over performance a lot more from his usual reserved dialogue deliveries.

Hmm. Trevor Devall. Kyle has to a physically matured voice, to be sure, but he also has to sound very rough a lot of the time. I've never heard Devall as anything but LaFlaga, so I can't say anything about this choice one way or the other.

Omega
Student of Vane

Post by Omega »

I didn't think you'd like the suggestion... because she's a bit on the squeaky side... she adds a bit of charm to Lyon in Suikoden V...

anyway, i've got another idea for ya... Overdrives! or at least something like what occurs in Lunar Legend.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

True, but in one role I hardly recognized her voice as she was largely able to rid her of its squeakiness, so she does have good vocal ability.

Ah, yes, the Overdrive attacks. Useful in a pinch, they were. Heh, heh, as long as we can get more than one and their usage is a little more complex than what was supplied in Legend, I'd love to see some. Seriously, having Alex summon a tornado as his only uber special chargable attack was kind o a let down.

AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by AlexHiro4 »

Personally, I don't care about which versions get remade (TSS vs. SSSC or EB vs. EBC). All I really care about is having Lunar 1 and 2 remakes for the PSP. I want all the voice acting and all the cutscences. I only say this bc I don't know how to rip my PS1 games to my PSP yet (which is a topic of mine in another forum).
Dwight: "One thing about deer, they have very good vision. One thing about me, I am better at hiding than they are...at vision."

Omega
Student of Vane

Post by Omega »

When was that?

I've got one other idea for this topic... an optional boss in a similar class as Sephiroth from KH would make for one heck of a fight!

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Like an undead pirate that guards his treasure which you can gain if you defeat him?

Omega
Student of Vane

Post by Omega »

More like an uber-powerful boss that's almost impossible to take down and nets you a new move which is largely unusable until you reach higher levels.(70+)

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

I know. I was referencing a hidden uber-powerful boss called Deadbeard from the first Golden Sun game.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Alright, I think its time to get everything that's been suggested and agreed upon by the majority of the posters here down on one post because...because we can. That's why.

I'm listing these in the order they were suggested in, so its not going to be the most organized list.

1. A game that blends elements from both the original Lunar: The Silver Star and its remake, Lunar: Silver Story Story Complete, with a few elements of Lunar Legend and a hidden boss typical of many other RPGs.

2. Elements from the original version: Mia would keep her story from the original version, in that she already knows her mom isn't what she seems and she isn't crying when we first meet her. Nash would go back to his original double-agent role. Ghaleon would retain his original personal motives. We'd have all the legends of the Magical Emperor from the original. In addition to that, we'd also have the original means of becoming a Dragonmaster and as well as the pillaging of Burg.

3. Elements from the remake: Luna would still go on the journey at least up to when we learn that Ghaleon has gone bad. In stead of Xenobia, we'd have the trio of sisters. We'd also retain the bath scenes and the pics of the girls.

4. The console or handheld it to appear on: No one ever came with a definite answer that was discussed or argued too much.

5. Top notch animation akin to what we'd see on the tube.

6. The ability to alter now the story flows up to a certain extent. Example: having the option of keeping Luna for most of the game, but the ending otherwise being uneffected by it. (Excellent suggestion, Omega.) (And without her keeping the Dark Goddess outfit, you pervs.)

7. Whole new cast, since the ones who voices them in the 90s are probably not available anymore.
Choices we came up for Alex: Jeff Bennett, Kirby Morrow, David Gallagher.
Luna: Carrie Savage, Hayden Panettiere.
Ghaleon: Christopher Lee, George Newborn, Paul Dobson.
Kyle: Darin Norris, Wally Wingert, Trevor Duvall.
Jessica: Wendee Lee, Jennifer Hale, Amanda Wynn Lee,
Mia: Kelly Sheridan.
Nash: Kirby Morrow or Joshua Seth.
Nall: Vic Mignagna, Brianne Chierighino Siddall.
"Hell" Mel D,Arkirk: Stevie Bloch, Beau Billingslea, Chris Edgerly.
Lemia Ausa: Maybe Wendy Powell or Mary Elizabeth McGlynn.
Royce: Jennifer Stigile
Xenobia: Heh, probably either of the choices noted for Lemia.
Phacia: Hmm. A toughy.

8. Retain overdrives from Lunar Legend.

9. Ability to alter outfits to those other ones the cast is seen wearing to make the on-screen sprite appear wearing that particular outfit while it Is equipped. (Alex in civilion clothes, Kyle cross-dressing).

*Goes over list* Hmm. Uh-huh. I have to say, if they actually made the game just like this, I'd die a happy man.
Last edited by LunarRaptor on Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Borrowing a page from Xenosaga and/or Dragon Quest:

Perhaps there's specific armors that allow the characters to change outfits. Imagine allowing Laike to put on a special armor that makes him look like Dyne. Put on another, and he's Dragonmaster Dyne.

If Alex doesn't /wear/ all his Dragonmaster gear, his sprite goes back to 'not a Dragonmaster' Alex. This one may also change the speech of NPCs. Having Althena's Sword or not may also change speech.

Ghaleon gets Premier, Magic Emperor, God Mode (final battle), and so on.

Kyle may have an 'armor' for his crossdressing outfit.

And yes, the Dark Goddess outfit for Luna. Rawr. ;)
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Omega
Student of Vane

Post by Omega »

:shock: You again?!

Change the Dark Goddess outfit to one resembling that of the Good Althena(NOT the one created by Ghaleon) and it's sensible.

now please... for sanity's sake, drop the bit about the dark goddess outfit...

.................Oh CRAP! we completely forgot about the voice for Nall!

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Up to the point where you list the Dark Goddess outfit for Althena, your idea for the ability to change sprite images throughout the game is actually pretty good, Angelalex. But please, outside of the cinematics and what-not where Ghaleon forces her to wear that, let's not have that outfit anymore than absolutely necessary.

Anyway, about Nall's voice: Easly remedied. We'll come up with some candidates and I'll edit my compliation post. One thing I would like to do with Nall's voice is drop the super-high shrill voice they seem to insist on giving him. I don't see why they just can't give him a kid's voice if they want him to sound young. The only problem with this suggestion is that not many kids (understandable, considering the difficulty of matching yours lips to a preexisting performance and the mature material usually delt with in animes) work in the dubbing industry. Or, perhaps we don't even need to make him sound quite that young. He's as old as Alex and the co, right? Maybe we can go with a somewhat yougner actor who does not have a very deep voice. Kevin Corn, maybe? I think the actor who was the English dub voice of Alphonse Elric is probably has a voice that's cracked and deepened by now.
Or, as an exception, maybe Vic Mignagna as Nall.

While we're at it, let's cover the supporting cast (Hell Mel, Lemia, Dyne/Laike, the Vile Tribe sisters, ect.)

"Hell" Mel D,Arkirk. Deep, gruff voice, but can drop the menacing act and have a hearty and merry laugh. That could be done by any number of people. Stevie Bloch, Beau Billingslea, Chris Edgerly.

Lemia Ausa. She has to be commanding, grand, yet can be softer toned and motherly. Hoy. There's a range not many non-SAG actresses will master.
Maybe Wendy Powell or Mary Elizabeth McGlynn.

The Vile Tribe Sisters:
Royce: Jennifer Stigile (the only voice actress fromthe original games who still seems to be work in the business form time to time).
Xenobia: Heh, probably either of the choices noted for Lemia.
Phacia: Hmm. A toughy.

Omega
Student of Vane

Post by Omega »

Nall: Brianne Chierighino Siddall

i guess if the outfit is kept out of the cutscenes it's all right. but overusing it can turn Lunar from a T to an M in ratings.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Compilation post edited.

Good choice, Omega. Her voice isn't TOO high pitched, and she can sound like young boy. You should be a cast director for FUNimation or something. You sure seem to know what would fit a character spot on.

Omega
Student of Vane

Post by Omega »

I just figured she'd do it since she added a bit of charm to Minokichi.
and... the reason i suggested Carrie Savage for Luna is because... i thought she'd do better than the original voice actor for Luna.