So, how did everyone discover Lunar?

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
lutomboy
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: So, how did everyone discover Lunar?

Post by lutomboy »

my friend let me barrow it when it came out for the sage cd and have been hooked sense (it was my first RPG)

Syxx
Saith Pirate

Post by Syxx »

I remember..

Back in 06, I decided to go to my local library, and rent a few games. I was looking for PS1 games because I was into them, and I happened to stumble across Lunar 2. I remember getting hooked within the first hour of playing, and it's been a nonstop joyride from there on out.

A few months ago, I was able to get Lunar for the GBA, Lunar SSSC, and Lunar EB from my sister's friend in the Netherlands, and am still trying to beat Lunar 2 (currently at the Red Dragon Cave)
This cat is just TOO Suhweet!

captaindax
Red Dragon Priest

Post by captaindax »

Syxx wrote:I remember..

Back in 06, I decided to go to my local library, and rent a few games. I was looking for PS1 games because I was into them, and I happened to stumble across Lunar 2. I remember getting hooked within the first hour of playing, and it's been a nonstop joyride from there on out.

A few months ago, I was able to get Lunar for the GBA, Lunar SSSC, and Lunar EB from my sister's friend in the Netherlands, and am still trying to beat Lunar 2 (currently at the Red Dragon Cave)
There are libraries that rent video games?! :shock:
I - am that is

Syxx
Saith Pirate

Post by Syxx »

captaindax wrote:
Syxx wrote:I remember..

There are libraries that rent video games?! :shock:
Yeah, surprisingly, I live down in the middle of Florida, and that's what most of the libraries down here do. I always thought that every library did it... But i guess not.
This cat is just TOO Suhweet!

Blue_Goddess
Student of Vane

Post by Blue_Goddess »

I was around 7 or 8 years old (I'm 17 now), so that was probably around 9 or 10 years ago. Back to the topic. I went to this video game shop that sold videogames (duh). the name of that shop was Circuit City. I was looking around when I saw this weird coverless CD titled "Lunar Silver Star Story Complete". It was a strange looking CD. It had no cover, and its back cover was weird as well(it was colored black, with Ghaleon's pic, it had xenobia too!) The image on the disc was Dragonmaster Alex holding his sword, with Dark Althena beside him.

It was a strange looking CD. and I bought it for 35 pesos(?) can't remember anymore, oh and it's pirated by the way :D
Initially, i had a hard time playing it (i had some difficulty with RPGs before) ESPECIALLY when i was trying to locate the village's EXIT lololol!
What made me stop playing Lunar as a kid, was, because I was killed by those awful monsters (Lunar monsters creep me out, they CHASE YOU!)

A few years later, I decided to play it again. with enough RPG experience, I fell inlove with it and the rest is history :)
---

http://arthemis-pink.deviantart.com

The Goddess Althena created the world of Lunar and She will always be remembered in our hearts.

slyph
Saith Pirate

Post by slyph »

Hmm the almighty Lunar bug got me right away, I had heard about it and saw an ad for it in I think a very old school GamePro or something like that. I sold my super Nintendo and about 45 games in order to buy a Genesis, 32x and Sega CD all together. the first game I bought was Lunar: SS and I was instantly hooked and in love <3

I loved the games so much I would take the original strategy guides with me and read them just for fun and look at the screenshots and pictures.

the EB one if you all remember or still have was probably one of the best and most beautiful guides I've ever seen. even to this day I'm in awe in my memory of that book.

I have since way back then sold my beloved sega collection of systems along with the games.. I wish I never did :( I miss them very much.

So I heard later on about the SSS remake on Saturn and was like OMG HOLY CRAP... I had NO money then as I was barely thru Junior High at the time and I couldn't afford a Saturn + import of a game etc. so later when EB was remake on saturn I decided I couldn't hold back anymore and I held a garage sale to sell my N64 and all my games in order to get a brand new saturn and the import cartridge and then I imported EB.

later on when it came to the PS I imported SSS as well and then just waited for the american releases of SSSC and EBC. ^^

sorry for novel hehe

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

(My story is kinda TL;DR and silly, so no one HAS to read it XD)

(year 2000)
I saw Lunar 1 on a magazine for like 2 years (PS1 version)
(I lived in another country at the time so it was almost impossible to find)

(year 2002)
I finally got it! I was thrilled, even though it was just a burnt copy of disc 1, that i bought from one of those guys that mod PS1s and sell burnt games. And it was scratched ><
I was impressed at how the graphics were soo 2D and miniature!!!! :D My favorite thing
is how the characters would have a walking animation EVEN when just standing there.
(Something that can't be seen on magazines) =D
However, my brothers and parents when they saw me play, always talked crap to me about it -_-;;;

But that only made me more obsessed with the game! ^_^ I would play while hiding from them.
I got to a part where i couldnt play no more cause the disc was scratched. So for years to come I would search for that game everywhere!
I talked to my friends so much about it, that some of them stopped talking to me for a week.
Months later I got a burnt copy of Lunar 2 disc1 , which felt nothing but even more awesome!!!!!!!!!!

(year 2004)
I had to get the rest of the discs through torrents...

(year 2006)
Finally when moved here (U.S.) and I got a job, I decided to buy the real copies from ebay, and own the games the way it was meant to be, and hide it from my family! ^_^;;;;;;;;;;

My obsession has only gotten worse!
I think I have all the english releases of the games, I would get the japanese ones too but I know I would never play them =(

(year 2009)
Today I am even older and dont care about hiding it anymore anyway, so I have the games there near my TV set.
Last edited by jay_are on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

When i was little i use to watch my older cousin play games all the time, so i would just get little glimpse of some games (that i eventually got myself and beat) And one time he was playing Lunar, and i fell in love with it right away. After he beat it, he recorded all the sceans and i would always borrow the tape and watch it over and over again, i loved watching it.
I dident get to play it my self till about 2004 or 2005, He had a burnt copy of Lunar 2 and i borrowed it from him. Then in 2007 i bought my own copy from Ebay, and finally got to play SSSC, and not just watch it.

Raikage
Meryod Yokel

Post by Raikage »

About two years ago I walked into the game store "Play n Trade". I needed a new game so I was just browsing around, looking for something interesting. I saw Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete for $50.00. I thought it was a lot of money for a PS1 game, and I had also never heard of the game before in my life. I asked the guy at the counter if he knew anything about the game and he told me a bit about it. I was hell-bent on getting the game for some reason and, knowing I could always take it back if I didn't like it, bought it. Needless to say, I absolutely loved the game and am currently working on getting Eternal Blue. :)

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

My dad had come home one day with a Sega CD and a copy of Lunar The Silver Star.

We played that for hours together. It was pretty awesome. That is how I discovered Lunar. It wasn't my first RPG but it was my most memorable. Especially because of the anime cut scenes.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

During lunch at school in junior high, I saw a group of friends going on and on about Lunar so I inquired about it. My friend, Derek, was adamant about all of his friends playing it and I was eager after all of the talk.

It pushed Zelda out of my top spot and became my favorite game. I've never connected with a game series the way I have with this one and I've seen many people that are the same way. Magazine reviewers, website reviewers, random IRC people and the lot of you.

No other game has characters that are so lovable, music that fits so well without being dull and a story that manages to be mature and intense while still managing to be fun-loving and happy for a good portion of it.

I would kill to get the entirety of the events of the games (both Sega CD and PS1) in anime form over the course of some seasons so nothing would be missed.

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

With a telescope.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Gegi
Burg Farmer

Post by Gegi »

when I was about 8 years old, I still wasn't that good at reading back then. Call me slow what ever, but games always intrigued me if I had a book out I would read slow if I had a game with words under or better yet voice act I figured out how to read exceptionally well. My brother had borrowed EB from a friend and we ended up some what stealing it. O.o don't ask how it was the full set too but when I played that game it reminded me of LoZ. I didn't think I was just playing another 'game' I felt I was in that world. Although I was young and small things caught my imagination.

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

When I was a wee lad I played a lot of RPGs. A good friend of mine who had a Sega CD as well recommended Lunar to me. I was like, uh, what? A moon game? So I picked it up. Lucky thing I listened to him. That also lead me to picking up the Complete editions as well.

fates
Red Dragon Priest

Post by fates »

Picked up SSSC when I saw it on a shelf. Got home, played it. Really enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, it along with a few other games (FFT too :( )were stolen so I was never able to finish it. Will correct that with the PSP version.

Justinzero
Lostest Boy

Post by Justinzero »

I saw advertisements in EGM for SS, and I had to have it. Got a SCD, got the game when I had the money, and I've never looked back.

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

Idk how old i was...either 10 or 11? My dad came home with a new PS1 game in this HUGE BOX! That game turned out to be SSSC! I remember my dad got into the game for about a week and I would watch im play it...it looked like so much fun...alas...he couldn't beat the slime boss, :P
Finally, he let me play it a few weeks after he gave up...I, too, could not beat the slime boss... :lol:

ONE YEAR LATER

I picked up the game again, starting over, of course. This time, I was a little older and managed to beat the slime boss after several failed attempts! I remember later getting stuck in the Merribian Sewars at the Dragon boss...Here, I persevered and won! Then, (God knows when later) I got SO FAR! I made it to that tower with the sun, moon, star, etc maze...I could not for the life of me figure out what to do...so, being the youngster that I was, I gave up...Little did I know, this was all for the best, as I would truly appreciate the ending when I was older...

TWO YEARS LATER

I was in a game store in the mall and I saw LUNAR 2: ETERNAL BLUE COMPLETE! Even though I did not finish the first game, I STILL, after a two year hiatus, felt attached to the characters. So, I ended up getting EBC for Christmas that year!
I played it for hours on end! I don't remember where, but I guess I got stuck somewhere...always did back then...that's the problem with games today outside of FF...then again, maybe it was just my young age...

THREE YEARS LATER

I was...17...
I remembered my love for the Lunar games and had been a member of LNet for about a year. I picked back up SSSC...starting over, of course. :wink: Some of my discs didn't work in certain ways. (EBC was similar: like i had to use disc two to play the game and change the disc out for the cut scenes) AND I BEAT IT!! OH MY GOD, I LOVED THAT GAME!! So, naturally, I picked back up EBC......AND BEAT IT TOO!! These were two of the very few games where I felt like I knew the characters personally...like we were close friends or family...I thought the best part of EBC was talking to/checking up on the character and descendants of characters from SSSC. :cry: ...and here we are today...awaiting a new LUNAR game...

Truly, I am a forever fan.
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......

Dark Sploosh
Saith Pirate

Post by Dark Sploosh »

exigence wrote:I saw the ad for sssc in a very old E3 issues of EMG that i got from my friend, I read and reread that ad wishing i could get that game but it was before i had ebay and to late after its release to find it in stores.
That's almost exactly what happened to me. Saw the ad for SSSC in EGM as a kid and fell in love, but it took me literally seven years and a few failed bids on ebay before I finally got myself a copy. By then I had already read everything about the two games online, so I already knew all about the plots, backstories, characters, what have you. But it never stopped me from enjoying this truly phenomenal RPG series.
"The most powerful weapon on Earth is the human soul on fire." - Marshal Ferdinand Foch

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

I had first saw LUNAR: The Silver Star at a game store near my orthodontist back in 1998. I didn't have a Sega CD at the time, so I made a mental note to come back to it one day.

Fast forward to November 2000. My best friend had lent me Vanguard Bandits and I also tried out the demo for Eternal Blue. I enjoyed both of them, became a Working Designs fan, then found out that the game store right around the corner from me had a used copy of Silver Star Story Complete for $30. Fast forward to Mother's Day 2001. I bought SSSC from that same store and became a LUNAR fan from then on.
"To live a life of power, you must have faith that what you believe is right, even if others tell you you're wrong. The first thing you must do to live a life of power is to find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of Time itself. And to do that, all you need is the will to take that first step..."

neovane911
Reza Thief

Post by neovane911 »

Short and Sweet... Back in 7th grade, my best friend just randomly busted it out of nowhere and forced me to play it.. It took about 10mins for me to get addicted.. lol