So, how did everyone discover Lunar?

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Bravo 29
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: So, how did everyone discover Lunar?

Post by Bravo 29 »

I first discovered LUNAR in FuncoLand, if anyone remembers it. One of the clerks let me play all the way through TSS and EB, and I've been a LUNAR fan since. Ah, those were the good old days. :D

Mag
Lostest Boy

Post by Mag »

I'll step out of the shadows for this one. :)

Back in the early 90's when I was 8 or 9 I spent the summer at my cousin's house. He had the holy grail of the day, a SNES with Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 3 (or 6 depending on your perspective). I had never played an RPG before let alone having FF3 be my first. It was incredible and I was hooked then and there. Fast forward a few months later and my two older brothers brought home a slight used Sega CD and a handful of games from a local pawnshop. Among them was Lunar Silver Star. The box art sucked me in and I still remember the letters "RPG" in gold lettering written across the art. I must have played that game 20 times or more over the next couple of years, along with healthy doses of Warcraft II and various other Genesis/SCD titles.

I became a huge collector of all things Lunar, and by my Sophomore year in high school I had put more money into it all than I care to remember. Unfortunately, the house burned down and everything except my discs were lost to either flame or water.

Alright back to lurking for me.

-Mag
WD isn't really out of business, it's just sleeping. Yeah, that's it. Sleeping...

Principalities
Meribian Merchant

Post by Principalities »

The only reason I ever came across Lunar is due to my friend bringing it over to play once and obviously enough fell in love with it. After that I immediately went out and bought EBC played and finished it in three days and nights even for me when it ended crying a few tears before I started the epilogue. but for some reason when I got lunar SSSC it just didn't hit me as much guess I couldn't quite identify with the characters as much but all in all twas the two best game purchases I've ever made.
"Only a few find the way; some don`t recognize it when they do; some don`t ever want to." -The Cheshire Cat.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

3 days and nights for EBC? Impressive, it took me months before I beat it, and that was only after resorting to cheating to beat Zophar. Heh. Technically, I never beat EBC without cheating. ^^;

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Principalities
Meribian Merchant

Post by Principalities »

phyco126 wrote:3 days and nights for EBC? Impressive, it took me months before I beat it, and that was only after resorting to cheating to beat Zophar. Heh. Technically, I never beat EBC without cheating. ^^;
yeah when you don't really have anything else to do for a three day weekend coupled with the fact that having a tv in my room worked well with me even though by the third day in the morning I was all depressed since I had just finished the main game and didn't know about the epilogue so was just like nooo Lucia why.... but after I watched the credits and saw that it still continued I was hooked to finish it that day or well night-ish.
pfft I don't know for most games I don't have to cheat as leveling for long hours doesn't bother me hell on the second time I played through EBC I got to level 99 before fighting Borgan... now that's satisfaction beating zophar in mere minutes. But I still have to go through the epilogue and finish it without getting any of the other characters to help or go with me on the journey (just want to see if there's anything different by playing that way)
"Only a few find the way; some don`t recognize it when they do; some don`t ever want to." -The Cheshire Cat.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

There's a little bit different if you don't have all of the other party members at the end of the epilogue, but I think that's the only difference.

Omega
Student of Vane

Post by Omega »

:roll: Well a friend of mine and my brother's brought the Silver Star Story Complete over back when i had the old PS2, they tried playing it but couldn't get it to work (1p controller port had all but fallen apart.) I started up the game and accidentally learned you could use either controller to play. (and either disc)

Cost me my favorite gundam game but it was well worth it.
Those who underestimate the power of the human spirit are destined to fail... and that means you, Ghaleon!

Principalities
Meribian Merchant

Post by Principalities »

Alunissage wrote:There's a little bit different if you don't have all of the other party members at the end of the epilogue, but I think that's the only difference.
Hmm... even still worth playing through the eplogue if only for the satisfaction of being able to complete it without the help of others or cheats :p

SnickieX
Burg Farmer

Post by SnickieX »

My mother had Lunar, Vay, Popful Mail, and all those for the Sega CD. I played all 3, and Lunar and Popful Mail just stuck. (Although I liked Popful Mail better then, I didn't have the patience for any puzzles.) This was way back when I was like...4. I remember seeing Quark, for that first time, I was amazed, scared, and wide eyed, I don't think I'd seen anything like that in a game before.

Years later, we got Lunar: SSSC, I played that awhile, I think I got all the way, to, uh, the Black Dragon, never finished it. It got broken, along with my old PS1, which has loads of Lunar stickers out of the strategy guide. I got a new copy, I beat it, and I got on here.

Although Lunar: SSSC's ending left me with a..."That was...short." feeling, I didn't think the game itself was long enough. No, a better explanation would be that I felt the ending was way too fast, you kill the man, save the girl, and BOOM, credits/bloopers, end of game. Left me with a "That's the end of it?...Oh Dern. ='(" I still want more of it, an extension of the story. I had become attached to Alex, Nall, Luna, and friends.

P.S. I have no idea why, but everytime I think of Lunar, a tear comes to my eye. (Guys are supposed to be buff and what-not. Not me!)

AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by AlexHiro4 »

I took a leap of faith to fall in love with Lunar. No one told me about it. I wasn't reading any video game magazines at the time, so I didn't see it advertised. I didn't rent it either. One fateful day in 1999 I walked into EB Games (now Gamestop) and I saw Lunar SSSC on the shelf for $59.99. I was intrigued by the artwork and story summary on the box, so I figured "what the heck, I'll buy it!" When I started the game up I fell in love with the intro and I would watch the entire thing EVERY time I turned the game on. However, I got stuck on one of the bosses for a long time (I don't know why bc he wasn't that hard) and I got frustrated and put the game down for a while. A year later, I randomly decided to pick it back up. I blew past that boss and got sucked right back into the game. As soon as I beat it I went straight to Toys 'R Us and bought Lunar 2 EBC. I fell in love with it just as much as I did SSSC and from that moment I considered myself a fan of the series.
Dwight: "One thing about deer, they have very good vision. One thing about me, I am better at hiding than they are...at vision."

Alex_Pwns_Hiro
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Alex_Pwns_Hiro »

I discovered Lunar when my brother went into the marines. He gave me his PS1 with a bunch of games and one of those games happened to be Lunar silver star story.

joker_mausland
Pao Hunter

Post by joker_mausland »

Seven years ago me and my grandparents were shopping for Christmas presents at Toys R' Us and I saw Lunar 2 eternal blue and had no idea what the game was about but thought it would be cool because it was in the japanese animation style which my brother watched a lot, and anything he liked I liked. When I got it I had no idea it was going to be in this huge box with a pendant, standees(which I lost:cry: ),map and sound track. It was the best Christmas gift I ever got or chose.

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

I got redirected to Lunar Legend quite a few times. It annoyed me, so I tried the game. After beating it, I found out there are more Lunar games. LL alone was already a great game, so after hearing there are couple of other Lunar games, I decided to try them.
Last edited by Sonix on Mon May 11, 2009 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

captaindax
Red Dragon Priest

Post by captaindax »

SnickieX wrote:My mother had Lunar, Vay, Popful Mail, and all those for the Sega CD.
Mine too, I wonder how many RPG mom's are out there?

Mom used to play both quite heavily on the Sega CD. She won't touch the PSX versions I have because years of playing video games have screwed up her wrist. (Though she won't stop -Borgan- that Borgan was apparently harder on the Sega CD).

Anyway that's how I got into Lunar, I was mesmerized by it really. I remember when I accidentally deleted her save when she was in the blue dragon cave while she was at work. Needless to say I didn't touch the Sega for a while. I've never played the Sega CD editions but I have them both, and to be honest I've never beat EBC all the way through (I keep messing up when I get to Zophar's keep, get frustrated, and stop playing) and I can't really get into SSSC though I'm familiar with the story. Something about it just irritates me to the point where I don't really want to play.
I - am that is

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I don't know how many RPG-playing moms there are out there, but I do remember talking to one woman who played RPGs to keep her mind off the pain associated with her cancer (since she didn't want to be foggy-minded from medications all the time), and she had two high-schoolers. This was, oh, six years ago.

My sister got her first game console, the NES, because a (female) friend of hers had gotten an SNES. That friend's mother was the real gamer in the family. I don't know if she played RPGs because I wasn't aware of the genre at that time, but I know she played Zelda.

We haven't quite managed to get our own mother playing RPGs, but she's hooked on Phoenix Wright right now and intends to try Zelda Phantom Hourglass when she runs out of PW. It's a start.

Hirohiigo Togashi
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Hirohiigo Togashi »

I got into it in 2004 because I had a friend who wouldn't stop telling me to play Lunar, and eventually he let me borrow his copy of Lunar Legend. I got kind of hooked but didn't like it much, so he told me to get a copy of SSSC, which I got for a decent price ($40) on ebay. After that I played through his TSS and then bought EBC, and I guess the rest is history.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Well, I was reading my step-dad's game fan one day and we started talking about Lunar. I had seen one of the ad's and found it to be quite intriguing. The artwork was beautiful and the colors where vibrant. We had a Sega CD and I am sure one of the only reasons they got me the game so soon was because we needed to get our worth out of the SegaCD. To this day I have yet to feel the same about any other game, nothing was quite as captivating as my initial playthrough of LSSS. I'm even a fan of the intial intro, it's so exciting.

Semaj
Saith Pirate

Post by Semaj »

bout ten years ago im walking in walmart and i see Lunar on the shelves and i'm like hm... looks intresting enough. and it was awesome. awesome to the max
The person who asks the question is a fool for a moment, but the person who does not ask the question, is a fool forever.

Ghaleon_EME
Saith Pirate

Post by Ghaleon_EME »

I purchased a sega cd in the eighth grade. God knows why. I didnt know anything about the system and the only games I had for several months were sewer shark and tomcat ally. One day a friend came over with Lunar 1. That was a fateful day. I don`t remember why, but he only left Lunar 2 that day and so that was the first one I played. Afterwards I ordered Lunar 1, 2 and Popful mail.

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

I saw a few previews in game magazines around 1993.

I bought basically every RPG that came out in the US around that time (in large part because there weren't that many being released in the US) so I picked it up when it came out as an early Christmas present and played it on Winter break in 1993.