The Worst One?

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, WD might have fixed up some of the game play, but the thing is, the story was flawed in it's execution. Short of re-writing and adding quite a bit to the script, there's no way it could have been fixed. That's not to say the story didn't have potential. I know Kiz has mentioned this, and so have I. The storyline was really promising. It was just executed horribly, with little dialog and interaction between characters, and just an overall shallow script. And this can't be blamed on UbiSoft. It's the developers (Marvelous, and likely JAM). I'm still under the impression that Shigema only wrote the early draft, which is why it was so good, then moved on to Grandia III, leaving Lunar Genesis to get melted down in the end. But it was still a combination of things. The biggest disappointment is the complete lack of regard to the history of Lunar. There was way too much material to work with given what we read about the history of Vane, the Vile Tribe, the original Magic Emperor, etc. that wasn't even a blip in the story.
-G1

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Another for Dragon Song.

Since everyone has basically posted my own views on the game I won't repeat... only to say that I was deeply saddened and disappointed by it. Is there still any rumors/info floating around about a possible game involving the 4 heroes (that will be on a console and not handheld? - sorry OT!)

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

Another person disappointed by Dragon Song. I got it since it came out and haven't finished it yet, mostly because I can't motivate myself to sit down and play it, so I tend to only hit it when stuck waiting for something and I happen to have my DS on me.
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

ShadowKnight47
Reza Thief

Post by ShadowKnight47 »

lol, I never got passed the 1st dungeon...is it really that bad?
Lunar is the 2nd greatest game next to FF

Bravo 29
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Bravo 29 »

By LUNAR standards, it's horrific. At least LUNAR Walking School still had ties to the overall series, even if it was a side-story. Dragon Song was a nigh complete fiasco. The only reason I still keep mine is because of the soundtrack. It could've been so much better, but it was not to be. Let us pray their next LUNAR venture is more like the originals. I would cry is this was the last LUNAR game ever made.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Just curious... what ties do you consider Walking School to have to the rest of the series that Dragon Song does not?

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Alunissage wrote:Just curious... what ties do you consider Walking School to have to the rest of the series that Dragon Song does not?
I seem to recall from Kizyr's Walking School walkthrough that there was some confusion over the lead character being mistaken for a human incarnation of Althena, even though Lunar was several hundred years away from a human Althena visit, a fact that was mentioned in-game. This acknowledgement of the Lunar timeline would qualify as a legitimate tie-in to the rest of the series, I believe.

Plus there's the mention of Vane at the end.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I haven't read the walkthrough so couldn't say for that other than the mention of Vane at the end, but my question was what ties does WS have that Dragon Song does not. There's decidedly a human incarnation of Althena, no lack of dragonmaster and dragon talk (which I don't think is present in WS), the beginnings of the Vile Tribe as a magic race, the Frontier and the Weird Woods (that was just WD's name for the Goat Forest), the strained human/beastman relations... I think Vane was in the first draft of the story as well, though not in the final.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Yeah, Dragon Song has all these things, but it also contradicts the already established Lunar timeline in a few ways, which is something that Walking School doesn't to my knowledge.

And there is talk of Dragons in Walking School. The Blue Dragon even makes an appearance. I'm not sure if Dragonmasters are mentioned at all, though.

I really suggest reading through Kizyr's walkthrough. It has some really interesting insight into the Lunar mythology. I'm hoping he gets around to writing one for Magic School someday.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I've been waiting for when I get a Game Gear and play the game. I know the basic story from the manga, although the translation I read noted that some of the characters were changed a bit from the game. Yes, I know the Blue Dragon is in it, but the structure of visiting all the dragons is not. I'm not knocking WS/MS, just trying to point out that you need other grounds to bash DS on than "it doesn't tie in to the rest of the series."

I don't know that DS contradicts the timeline so much as muddies it a bit. To be honest, lengths of time aren't that big a deal to me; anything more than a generation or so is just "long ago". Kizyr confirmed recently that the I+II artbook has Nall's age as 500 or so, which obviously doesn't match the events of EB taking place a thousand years after TSS. They're just conveniently round numbers, that's all. I think I made this comment before... 1100 years and 900 years would both be rounded to 1000 in storytelling, yet they're significantly far apart.

DS did make a hash of Althena's motivations for becoming human in the TSS version of events, of course. But that was already screwed up in, or by, SSS.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:I haven't read the walkthrough so couldn't say for that other than the mention of Vane at the end, but my question was what ties does WS have that Dragon Song does not. There's decidedly a human incarnation of Althena, no lack of dragonmaster and dragon talk (which I don't think is present in WS), the beginnings of the Vile Tribe as a magic race, the Frontier and the Weird Woods (that was just WD's name for the Goat Forest), the strained human/beastman relations... I think Vane was in the first draft of the story as well, though not in the final.
Vane was barely in one of the early documents, but it didn't even get into the early storyboards. It was probably something thought out during brainstorming, but didn't make the cut.

I think that "Underwater Fortress" part might have been the most likely place that Vane would've been stuck in. To be honest, considering how the rest of the story was "fleshed out" from the storyboard (that is to say, not at all), I'm glad Vane didn't make the cut. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

*possible spoilers for some*

Post by AnimeJei »

ah don't get me started on LUNAR DS..lol. I hate to say any LUNAR is the worst but yeah, this was it. It could have been so great, could have. Just little things set me off... why did they name the main female Lucia again?!? sigh... wasn't long enough, no real background story for the characters. I like Gabi but the translation made her seem too weak, I wish she would have been more tough like Jess. No "flying cats".. wanted to know more about Ignatius... don't get me started about Rufus or the ending. If I could, I'd re-do the whole game and make a deeper story and have it on the PS3 or such. This game had so much potential..they just seemed to rush it. So they need to hurry up and bring out LUNAR Dragon Song Complete and the next LUNAR (3?) ^^

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The girl's name isn't quite the same in Japanese. Actually, Youichi Miyaji, the president of Game Arts, said in an interview that he hadn't noticed the similarity of names until the interviewer pointed it out.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

What makes you say that the translation made her sound weak? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

It just came across that way for me, I wish she would have had more attitude (maybe not like Ruby or Nall) ^^ But even so she still remains my fav from that story. I wish they would re-do and give more background story.
Image"Sample my goods!!"

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

Alunissage wrote:The girl's name isn't quite the same in Japanese. Actually, Youichi Miyaji, the president of Game Arts, said in an interview that he hadn't noticed the similarity of names until the interviewer pointed it out.
I let the little things bother me a lot :wink:

My bad about the double post and you're right, I should have said dialogue rather than translation.
Last edited by AnimeJei on Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image"Sample my goods!!"

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

AnimeJei wrote:It just came across that way for me, I wish she would have had more attitude (maybe not like Ruby or Nall) ^^ But even so she still remains my fav from that story. I wish they would re-do and give more background story.
Would you please use one post to respond to multiple things, or edit your old post if you wish to add something? Double-posting like that (less than 10 minutes after your last one) is really discouraged.

Anyway, my question was why do you think the translation made her sound weak. I can see why you might say that for the dialogue, but it's odd that you picked at the translation instead, as if it was different in the original version.

Also, I was one of the ones who recommended that Ubisoft translate the name as "Lucia". I thought people would be able to get the idea that two people can have the same name. Of course, I was also assuming that the resemblance of DS Lucia's name to EB Lucia was intentional, so that much was my mistake. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Kizyr wrote: Also, I was one of the ones who recommended that Ubisoft translate the name as "Lucia". I thought people would be able to get the idea that two people can have the same name. Of course, I was also assuming that the resemblance of DS Lucia's name to EB Lucia was intentional, so that much was my mistake. KF
You could have suggested that they translate the name as Lucca. But then people would be constantly asking if this game had a connection to the Chrono Universe.

Also... of course you can't expect people to accept that two people can have the same name. I mean my real name is Michael, and I keep getting this archangel fellow's mail.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

My suggestion was Lucie but Kizyr wouldn't pass it on. :P

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

It's like how some hate dubbed anime and love the original Japanese seiyuu, they can be very different. Just how dialogue can be different between Genesis and DS.

How about the name Lunia? :wink:

btw, I forget..did they make reference at all in DS that the White Dragon was Quark?
Image"Sample my goods!!"