The Worst One?

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by AnimeJei »

Ignatius was dragonmaster at that time, and I use dragonmaaster loosely because to me he wasn't a true one because he wasn't doing a true dragonmaster's "job", just like Ghaleon was in EB, he was meantioned as dragonmaster...then again he was really helping out Hiro and the others, so maybe Ghaleon was a real one.. but that's off topic. Didn't Jian have to defeat the dragons so they wouldn't be under Ignatius' control? I forget.. but yeah, I also heard they want to bring him back because they liked him so much. I hope they give him more of a background story and you can actually have a great battle against him.
Image"Sample my goods!!"

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

AnimeJei wrote:I also heard they want to bring him back because they liked him so much.
I remember the interview where that was stated. I'm convinced the only reason he said that was because he knew JAM didn't tell the whole story that GameArts wanted told in Dragon Song and he was hoping they could do a direct sequel to this game where they could finish it off.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

No, no.

Ignatius and Ghaleon are two different stories, here.

Ignatius is a true Dragonmaster. In fact, they should've dressed him in the traditional Dragonmaster gear to bring that point home. But since they did not, some people are a little cloudy on that point. He may be evil, and he may have betrayed Althena, but he is still a Dragonmaster.

Jian is sort of a Dragonmaster. He defeated the 4 dragons and gained their power, but they told him that until he defeats Ignatius, he will not be a true Dragonmaster. As such, Jian is acknowledged as Dragonmaster worthy by the Dragons, but he never gets to properly kick Ignatius's ass, so he never gets the title. If he did kick Ignatius's ass, I imagine he'd get the Dragonmaster goodies on the spot, as well as the real 4 dragon spells, as opposed to the Black Magic he currently has. Which is really kind of a substitute because the Dragons have a master in Ignatius, but they also have a conscience and a desire to protect Althena, so they give the new guy what he needs to take down the old one.

Ghaleon, however, was never a Dragonmaster, any more then Zoc was. The difference is that Ghaleon is so damn strong he can fake like he's a Dragonmaster and nobody but a dragon or a goddess is going to be able to tell he isn't one.

However, the decision to not finish off the story in Dragon Song was a rather poor one. In the remake, they need to finish the game by including Ignatius's defeat...and something relevant to the Lunar world as a whole. The Rising of Vane might be good.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Angelalex242 wrote:Ghaleon, however, was never a Dragonmaster, any more then Zoc was. The difference is that Ghaleon is so damn strong he can fake like he's a Dragonmaster and nobody but a dragon or a goddess is going to be able to tell he isn't one.
I pretty much agree on all points. But, I think an even closer analogy here might be that Ghaleon in EB was no more a Dragonmaster than the False Althena was really Althena.

There's a part where the False Althena tries to justify her claim by saying that she's protected by the Dragonmaster (Ghaleon) and the Four Dragons. Similarly, it can be said that Ghaleon controls the power of the Four Dragons, but he does so by force (kind of like what he did in SSS, in fact). The difference between that and a real Dragonmaster, is that a real Dragonmaster has the consent and approval of the Four Dragons.

However, that's not to say that the "consent and approval" part would necessarily mean that Ignatius wasn't a Dragonmaster. It could've well been something that the Dragons did after seeing the mistake that was Ignatius. ...of course, we'll never know for certain just because the story itself was fleshed out so poorly. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DezoPenguin »

Kizyr wrote:
There's a part where the False Althena tries to justify her claim by saying that she's protected by the Dragonmaster (Ghaleon) and the Four Dragons. Similarly, it can be said that Ghaleon controls the power of the Four Dragons, but he does so by force (kind of like what he did in SSS, in fact). The difference between that and a real Dragonmaster, is that a real Dragonmaster has the consent and approval of the Four Dragons.
And the silly hat. Don't forget the silly hat.

The most interesting thing about Ignatius, IMHO, is that he pretty much proves that once one becomes a Dragonmaster, the Dragon power is his to keep. I'm sure that if the Dragons had their druthers they'd yank back all their Dragon Magic (and the silly hat, which Ignatius doesn't actually wear) from Iggy. It's not unlike how EB Ghaleon took away the Dragon Auras and gave them to the Four Heroes (btw, I thought False Althena said that she was protected by the Dragonmaster and the Four Heroes, not the four Dragons?), and Hiro had to retrieve that power by force. The difference there is that Ignatius was originally given his power, as you say, with consent and approval.

It sheds a little light, though, on why the job is called Dragonmaster, though. Apparently, when one becomes the Dragonmaster, one gets to use the power of the Dragons from that point even if the Dragons don't particularly want one to (not unlike how when Alex...or even Hiro...casts the Dragon magic, the Dragon's power must answer--and as EBC shows by Ruby poofing out whenever Red Dragon magic is used, it's the Dragon itself showing up in spirit at least).

Come to think of it, maybe that's why Ghaleon's SSSC Grindery wasn't as effective (i.e. not the final dungeon) as his TSS Grindery. When Alex was able to become the Dragonmaster, he gained control and access to a certain measure of the Dragon's power. Ghaleon applied force to extract that power from the Dragons, but he couldn't touch what the Dragons had already given over to Alex.
Kizyr wrote: However, that's not to say that the "consent and approval" part would necessarily mean that Ignatius wasn't a Dragonmaster. It could've well been something that the Dragons did after seeing the mistake that was Ignatius. ...of course, we'll never know for certain just because the story itself was fleshed out so poorly. KF
Extending on what I said above, perhaps the "consent and approval" applies only to the original granting of Dragonmaster status. But come to think of it, maybe the entire idea of Dragon Trials started right there with Ignatius and Jian; this system would be instituted to test the mettle of proposed DMs so that another Iggy mistake wasn't made.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Regarding Ghaleon, also keep in mind that he didn't seem interested in the Dragonmaster title at all. If I remember right, in EBC, he tells the Fake Althena that the title "does not amuse me" or something to that effect. So while he was considering a fake Dragonmaster, it didn't seem to be by his own wanting.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Ghaleon (in EB/EBC) took the Dragons' power, making it impossible for them to give it to anyone else. Thus the title works well enough for him, especially since in the public eye he was the servant of "Althena". However, he didn't name himself that or necessarily "fake" it; the title appears to have been given to him by other people, since he indicates displeasure at being called that.

I wonder how Leo responded to being given Nall's dragon aura. The other three were in on the plot with Zophar, but he wasn't. Of course, it doesn't seem to have done anything for him, while for Borgan the Black Dragon Aura was the source of his power. Thinking about it, Leo probably would be a very logical dragonmaster if the framework (dragon trials and a real goddess) to become one still existed.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Alunissage wrote:I wonder how Leo responded to being given Nall's dragon aura. The other three were in on the plot with Zophar, but he wasn't. Of course, it doesn't seem to have done anything for him, while for Borgan the Black Dragon Aura was the source of his power. Thinking about it, Leo probably would be a very logical dragonmaster if the framework (dragon trials and a real goddess) to become one still existed.
I would venture to guess that it was given to him when he was given the title of White Knight, probably by the false Althena. Unaware of how it was acquired, he probably simply saw it as a symbol of a blessing from the Goddess.

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

But did Ignatius have consent to have the dragon powers? I really can't remember >< I really can't count him as Dragonmaster and my point is, Ghaleon was more of one than Ignatius was..though Ghaleon he took it by force. He was really double crossing Zophar all along, right? He was practically laying down an "adventure" for Hiro and Lucia to get the auras back while strengthen theur bonds of friendship between Lucia and all the party.. a test of their humanity. Whereas Ignatius was just using the powers for his own purpose, not protecting the goddess or her children. Well that's what I get out of it.... so I am just saying, imo, that neither are a true dragonmaster..but, Ghaleon would be closer to the title because in the end he was redeeming his past sins. Yeah, he definitely didn't like the title.. probably because he respected Dyne so much, and Dyne brought honor to that title whereas Ghaleon..well..
Image"Sample my goods!!"

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

The whole point of Ignatius's character was that he became a Dragonmaster through conventional means, and then he became evil because he misused that power. The trials Jian was put through were all to make sure that he wouldn't eventually go down the same path because he very well could have.

DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DezoPenguin »

ilovemyguitar wrote:
Alunissage wrote:I wonder how Leo responded to being given Nall's dragon aura. The other three were in on the plot with Zophar, but he wasn't. Of course, it doesn't seem to have done anything for him, while for Borgan the Black Dragon Aura was the source of his power. Thinking about it, Leo probably would be a very logical dragonmaster if the framework (dragon trials and a real goddess) to become one still existed.
I would venture to guess that it was given to him when he was given the title of White Knight, probably by the false Althena. Unaware of how it was acquired, he probably simply saw it as a symbol of a blessing from the Goddess.
I'd agree completely. Since it wasn't until he met up with Hiro and Lucia that he ever doubted the Goddess (and since Nall wasn't there to countermand what the False Althena was saying), he'd have gladly accepted the Dragon Aura as a sacred charge from Althena. Heck, it's not even a bad idea--Ghaleon may have been the "Dragonmaster" in Fake Luna's reign, but why not give a little extra Dragon power to four heroes if it were possible (and of course it was, since F.A. was lying through her teeth about it all). I'm sure Kyle, Mia, Jessy, and ever-so-especially Nash could have used one Dragon Crest each, or one of Jian's Dragon Rings, if it could have been arranged. It probably all sounded perfectly good and just to Leo at the time.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

After achieving level 99 on Dragon Song, I came to a conclusion about why there wasn't a fight with Ignatius.

Althena basically told Jian, "No, don't fight him, forgive him." Unlike a certain other Dragonmaster, Jian decided to listen to his ladylove, and hence you have that whole scene with Jian grasping Ignatius's hand. That was his victory over Ignatius, much more then any duel would've been.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

given the amount of detail here, if i didn't know any better, i'd say you guys ENJOYED dragon song. lol

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

No doubt, Dragon Song is the worst.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DezoPenguin »

ilovemyguitar wrote:If they had actually wanted to, a limited amount of animation and voice acting could have been done, absolutely. It would probably be a limited amout, about the same as in TSS, though.
You know, looking at RPGfan's review of Luminous Arc (speaking of DS games I'm looking forward to trying), it looks like there was definitely potential there for Dragon Song to have featured a reasonably adequate amount of voice acting and cutscenes.

However, that still wouldn't have changed the abysmal targeting in battle, the irritation of "Jian and Four People Who Aren't As Good As Him Put Together" game balance, and that Althena-awful "instant game over" equipment breaking!

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Actually, at higher levels, and with clever use of equipment, it's possible to make Gaby and Flora just SLIGHTLY more useful.

In Gaby's case, it's the Magic Booster that makes her useful. Once her skill costs 3 mp per round instead of 10, she can abuse it enough to give her a purpose in life. The Fighting Fist also helps. Since it occasionally does double damage, it occasionally allows her to attack 'twice' per round. Better yet, the Fighting Fist also allows her skill to occasionally do double damage things, and since the idea is to abuse her beast skill as much possible with the magic booster...well, you get the idea.

In Flora's case, it's the Composite Bow that makes her somewhat useful. With the composite bow, there's a chance...albeit not a very consistent one...that she'll attack 3 times (or even 2 times...). And she isn't obligated to attack the same thing 3 times, either. It'll shoot arrows off every which way. Still, if she manages to attack a boss 3 times, it's like having...a level 40 Jian in your party to back up the level 99 one. The Stardust Ring and level 75 doubles the amount of times she can heal, too.

Bravo 29
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Bravo 29 »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:given the amount of detail here, if i didn't know any better, i'd say you guys ENJOYED dragon song. lol
Yes, it definitely gave us something to talk about. The question is whether it was good or bad. I suppose we should "forgive" GameArts, because we know they're better than this. One can only hope their next release is of true GA quality. Until then.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:given the amount of detail here, if i didn't know any better, i'd say you guys ENJOYED dragon song. lol
Well, like I already said, it had some really great ideas in it. These great ideas just didn't get fleshed out properly by JAM. Jian's character arc may be a hollow shell of what it was intended to be, but it was still more complex and well-thought-out than your average Final Fantasy protagonist's.

DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DezoPenguin »

ilovemyguitar wrote:
Well, like I already said, it had some really great ideas in it. These great ideas just didn't get fleshed out properly by JAM. Jian's character arc may be a hollow shell of what it was intended to be, but it was still more complex and well-thought-out than your average Final Fantasy protagonist's.
And speaking of poor FF games with thin storylines and weak gameplay, didn't they just release a remake of FF2 for the DS? Sounds like it's time for a classic face-off of what's the worse DS RPG!

Chrono Trigger
Meribian Merchant

Post by Chrono Trigger »

Can't really judge this question since in only played SSSC and EBC. I wouldn't say worst game either, more like least playable or good game.
Now Playing: Seiken Densetsu 3 || Favourite RPG: Chrono Trigger || Favourite Lunar Character: Kyle (SSSC) ||