The Worst One?

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: The Worst One?

Post by LunarRaptor »

You're all nuts. The Silver Star and Eternal Blue, along with all their respective remakes, were obviously the worse of the series, man! Just look at their battle systems. WAY TOO easy to use! Those graphics?! Bah! Ony 8-Bits look good! And don't even get me started on that their plots make perfect sense! We all the best RPGs have gaping plot holes that give the creators excuses to squeeze the consumer for more cash with sequels that answer the questions. :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, Dragon Song, is, by far, the worse. Card based battle system? It didn't work for Kingdom Hearts, and it didn't work for Lunar. When will developers realize that it just doesn't work?! Or, more specifically, when will Square realize that it doesn't work?
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Didn't Genesis come out before KH? And for what it's worth, Genesis is much easier and more palatable with the cards than without. The reason I know this is that I played through the import (before the US game came out, of course) and since I didn't know what the cards did I never used them until the final dungeon. This was, to put it mildly, aggravating. I've still only played about a third of the game in English but it does seem that the cards cut down on the aggravation factor by a nonnegligible amount.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:Didn't Genesis come out before KH? And for what it's worth, Genesis is much easier and more palatable with the cards than without. The reason I know this is that I played through the import (before the US game came out, of course) and since I didn't know what the cards did I never used them until the final dungeon. This was, to put it mildly, aggravating. I've still only played about a third of the game in English but it does seem that the cards cut down on the aggravation factor by a nonnegligible amount.
Definitely. Being able to use magic almost every battle and regenerating MP quickly and easily (since you can't actually buy MP restorative items) is really useful, and cuts down on the hassle plenty. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

My mistake, then. But either way, the card system didn't work, and is part of the why the game stunk. Yeah, as the system was set up as is, the cards help...but, the system shouldn't have been set up that to begin with.

Eh? 'being able to use magc in every battle'. I distinctly recall being able to do that most of the time int he good Lunar titles when you can't regenerate it just like that with cards.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

No, you were right. Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories definitely came out before Dragon Song. However, I really liked the battle system in Chain of Memories.

I also thought that the card system in Dragon Song wasn't bad. It really made the battle system much more enjoyable than it would have been without.

It's still a bad game. It's just made better by the card system, not worse.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

It's still a bad game. It's just made better by the card system, not worse.
I don't agree. Its a bad game made worse by the cards system. IT should never have been set up that way.

Why are you even arguing with me over what I think of the Lunar: DS, battle system, anyway?

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

LunarRaptor wrote:Why are you even arguing with me over what I think of the Lunar: DS, battle system, anyway?
Why are you being so defensive? If you don't want to discuss it, you don't need to bring it up. If you do want to discuss it, there's no sense in lashing out at everyone who expresses a different opinion.

You're really going to need to re-think your idea of what constitutes "arguing". KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

LunarRaptor wrote: Why are you even arguing with me over what I think of the Lunar: DS, battle system, anyway?
Honestly? I'm just trying to raise my post count. I am almost up to a thousand, you know.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

:lol: Heh, heh, alright, let's get you up to 1,000, then. :wink:

Card system, improvement or annoyance? I guess it really doesn't matter. Its a bad game either way.

Although considering just what Dragon Song/Genesis did to the Lunar continuity (all three variations of it), the frelled up battle system is small peanuts in comparison.

I think DS could have been a great game, guys. I think they needed to explain Ignitius (that wa shis name, right?) better and how a Dragonmaster could go bad. I'd imagine that he's probably not the first Dragonmaster to go bad, but on the other hand, all DMs are tested and put through hell before they are allowed to become one. When one is put through such testing, their true nature comes out (hence the tests). So I'd like to know how someone like him could have become one, or did the DM tests begin with him. But if they did, then why weren't DMs put under some kind of test to begin with, because that is still a lot of power for one mortal, flawed being to wield. Surely the Althena and the dragons surmised this, but...
...Alright, now I'm just going in circles and I'm going to cross-eyed. :shock:
Last edited by LunarRaptor on Mon May 05, 2008 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

WARNING! LunarRaptor's gone to plaid!!
-Nobi

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Ludicrous speed, go!

dragonmaster-Ghaleon
Lann Fisherman

Post by dragonmaster-Ghaleon »

I'm not sure if my opinion on this subject because i haven't had the chance to play magic school or the genesis version of the first two.. but from what I've seen of dragon song.. i never even had the urge to pick it up so i would say that it was the worst lunar game
"truly if there is a god of destiny he is fond of plot twists ..and so am i"

Theta
Nanza Bandit

Post by Theta »

I must say DRAGON SONG. Fortunately it did not kill the series though.
Dokken does not like chicken, and wants to destroy it. Protect your chicken from Dokken.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

1) Dragon Song
2) Walking School
3) Magic School
4) Lunar Legend
5) Silver Star Story Complete
6) The Silver Star
7) Eternal Blue Complete
8) Eternal Blue

... so basically, reverse the order for my favorite Lunar games in order. And of course, I've played almost nothing of Walking School and Magic School, so that's kinda being harsh on them. I just don't see them beating the main series.
-G1