magic in lunar

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

magic in lunar

Post by Aaron »

I have a question...

I was thinking and reading other posts and Kizyr brought up that "all magic flows from Althena"

with her bein' dead shouldnt the dragons & magic not exist in lunar 2 or in a possible L3?

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

You arn't the first to ask yourself that, I always wondered the same thing. However, I never pursued an answer, as it just seemed to complicated (or maybe I did and just didn't remember.) A logical explanation would be that when Althena "died" the magic no longer flowed through her, but instead would flow through everyone.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

I thought it was something along the lines of Althena having dispersed her power, but I'm not exactly sure if that's correct.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I think the wide prevalance of magic in Lunar 2 is related to Althena's 'dispersal' of her power among humans, like IK said.

Between Lunar DS, TSS, and EB, you do see a shift in how widely magic is dispersed, from being concentrated among a few to being spread amongst a lot more people. I think a lot of that has to do with how much regulation Althena imposes on Lunar; so when she lets go, and lets humanity set its own course, more people have access to that power to use themselves.

I think the important part is that when Althena chose to cease her rebirth, was that all her power wasn't destroyed, but that Lunar sort of went on 'autopilot'--or, more accurately, was controlled by humans. So, magic power exists even though Althena no longer actively intervenes in the world; that magic power comes from humanity itself in that respect (or, what Althena gave to humanity). It's sort of like a belief in mana (the actual Earth belief), an incorporeal 'force' from which it's possible to draw power. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

The idea that Althena's power was dispersed among the people fits with what happens towards the end of Lunar 2; when Lucia claims Althena's power as her own, all the humans on earth lose their magic power.