What Made Lunar Great...

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
foxknight
Meryod Yokel
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

What Made Lunar Great...

Post by foxknight »

I don't pretend to speak for anyone else, but for me, what made the Lunar games great was the meticulous attention to character development and richness of story. The people who influence this the most during the development process are the director and the writers. Does anyone know who was responsible for the great characterization and story of the Lunar games, and if so, whether they have done anything else we may have heard of?

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Kubooka was the character designer, but Shigema did the storylines. I think Shigema did plenty more with character development, though--it shows up well in the novels too, though the characters do act a little differently there.

Wasn't Shigema also behind the Grandia series? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yes, and Iwadare has always done the music for it too.

There were a number of others involved in Lunar's story though. Shigema was just the main man.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Akari Funato did some character design as well, notably Royce and Phacia. She may have had something to do with the writing and characterization, I don't know -- she wrote the Vheen manga, which was authorized by Shigema, but I get the impression from the translated comments by Shigema on her work that the two of them didn't really see eye-to-eye on some stuff, like subtlety vs. cliche. Then again, the translator wasn't exactly unbiased.

There's also Ryousirow Hakusawa, an interview with whom is posted on LunarNET. He worked on scenario for EB and SSS, and it sounds like he also did the scenarios for at least some of the drama CDs.

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

Yes, Shigema is the main writer (I know he was one of the two writers for Grandia II, but I don't think that is true for Grandia I). Though his main role at first was character designing, Kubooka himself plays a rather large role in story direction, particularly in that he oversaw the movies. Most English-speaking fans know about this through the Making of Lunar SSS video where Kubooka indicates how he fought to make sure that Luna's boat scene was in SSS. If you read through the Lunar~SSS Newtype Collection art book, there are also quite a number of storyboards and continuity pages where Kubooka comments on how he and Shigema planned the particular animation scenes (and by extension, the major plot points showed in these scenes), and often debated and brainstormed for a long time on these points. What should happen to Luna in the expanded SSS ending (i.e. should she be forgiven, should she die, etc.) as compared to the quick TSS ending where resolution of her fate didn't matter, for example, is one of these cases where Kubooka and Shigema worked extensively together.
aka Maou

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'm hoping one of these days we can get translated versions of the interviews in those artbooks. I know Kiz already has his hands full with the manga's and novel summaries though, so it would probably be some time.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Well, Rebecca translated the 30 Questions with Kei Shigema. Have you asked her about posting her stuff on LunarNET? I haven't checked recently, but last I saw her site looks to be on hiatus, or at least the Lunar part of it.

There are also some liner notes and things in the soundtracks that it would be nice to have.

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

Yeah, it would look nice to have the 30 Questions appear on Lunar-Net, though it doesn't even break past the surface of the really interesting stuff in the continuity section of SSS Newtype, and especially in Lunar I&II Setteishiryouhen, which has so much great info, especially considering it doubles as such a nice art book.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Have you translated them before? I'd have no problems posting something like that if someone translated it. :P
-G1

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

Never thought to write them in English before (not enough Lunar fans I know in real life), but since I speak both languages I could give it a spin sometime if you think it would be helpful and Kizyr's swamped with work! I should have some free time in the next month if there are specific parts you would be interested in hearing about from either book (there's SO much in both Newtype and LunarI&II Settei that you can afford to be choosy). I can drop you a line if that would be helpful, just let me know.
aka Maou

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Music was great, but the voice acting and anime scenes really did it for me. It really helped make the characters seem more real. Plus the characters of course =)

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Never thought to write them in English before (not enough Lunar fans I know in real life), but since I speak both languages I could give it a spin sometime if you think it would be helpful and Kizyr's swamped with work! I should have some free time in the next month if there are specific parts you would be interested in hearing about from either book (there's SO much in both Newtype and LunarI&II Settei that you can afford to be choosy). I can drop you a line if that would be helpful, just let me know.

Definately. I think the other problem is Kaiser doesn't have the artbooks. It would be a dream to someday actually have all of this kind of stuff translated. I know the novels would never be fully translated, but everything else would just make for an awesome addition. Just shoot me a line at anything@lunar-net.com if you'd have the time to do something like that! I'd be more than happy to post it and give credit obviously.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I have the SSS Newtype artbook. I don't have the I&II artbook, however.

I have more time this summer, but everything will have to wait. My cousin's wedding is this week and the ceremonies will be taking place from Thursday to Sunday, and after then I'm going to Atlanta with my sister. So, for the next week I'll be on vacation from everything except family business.

Once I get back, I'll be looking into posting an edited translation of the Vane manga, starting translation of the other manga volumes, updated summaries of the rest of the SSS novels, and maybe a few other translated things here and there. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Good, I have a timeframe for getting you my edits for the last story. :o

lioyd
BANNED

Post by lioyd »

what made lunar perfect i think its the romance alex and luna :wink:

punkabof1
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by punkabof1 »

What made Lunar Great was the goodies and the Story line

Etherest
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Etherest »

I think everything about it made it great...exept for some parts of the voice acting...
Okay, Hacker, listen up. I am tired of your fake assumptions! What is your problem?! Do you just like to mess with 14 year olds, who KNOW they don't lie to people at a site they consider HOME?!! PM ME NOW!

Drake-Dark
Meribian Merchant

Post by Drake-Dark »

What really drew me to the Lunar Series is the music. Plot and all was good too, but the scene in SSC where Luna's doing the evil singing and commanding the Black Dragon keeps going over in my mind. Also, theres not a day that goes by that I'm not playing the "Sad BGM" on the piano.
"I could never fight without my clothes on...I'd keep tripping over my sword. Heh heh heh....." -Kyle

LordYamaneko
Saith Pirate

Post by LordYamaneko »

For me, what made Lunar best great games are storyline, characters (so affection for them ^^), music (in particular the songs *_*), and the continuity between the games. (SSS et EB) ^^

In fact, all, and especially the "Lunar's touch", much emotion and a good old school atmosphere (so cute) ! ^^
"We must hold together!"

keele864
Red Dragon Priest

Post by keele864 »

I think a lot of Lunar's appeal lies in the characters and their relationships. I'd also cite the sense of adventure and the anime styling as important factors in my love of Lunar.