What Made Lunar Great...

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Blue_Sycro
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Blue_Sycro »

I think most of it is the characters. Not that the story lines are bad or anything, but there's something about the characters that makes me addicted to these games. I always feel kind of sad after I beat a game, because I feel like the characters were friends of mine who I've known for a long time, and now I'm saying goodbye to them. That sounds sort of odd, I know, but it's definitely the people that do it for me.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

The music, the characters, and the rich history and mystery (it's rhyme time kids!) surrounding it.
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Kishi
Saith Pirate

Post by Kishi »

Kubooka, Shigema, and Iwadare. Simple as that.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I think what made Lunar great was the impact it left on us while playing it, as if we could be transported into that fantasy world and how we would handle the situations the characters come across. While the game is completely fictional, it is written in a way with real consequence. Alex uses all of his strength and will to become a Dragonmaster to save the love of his life, and in order to do that he gives up the very power once he's obtained it to save her, and the world at large. In Eternal Blue, it's the relationship between Hiro and Lucia, and Lucia being a stranger to everything yet needing to obtain power in order to save lives, and giving it up to save people she will come to love. The strength of her friends, like in real life, is there to help her and they make it through together.

The Lunar series is written in a truly human perspective within the fantasy, and that makes it completely engrossing. I really wish these games were as well known as Final Fantasy, because they deserve the recognition for the depth portrayed in the game, and not just the name. God I am such a Lunar fanatic.

Btw, I just bought the Silver Star Story artbook off of ebay for $70 freaking bucks.
The book was $50, and the damn shipping was $19 air mail from Hong Kong. The person said it's in good condition, and I sure hope so. I already bought the Lunar I & II artbook years ago back when the Lunar-L list existed. I am an original, beotch!

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

That Lunar I & II artbook is totally awesome. I love that thing. So puuurdy. The SSS one is nice too, but I can't get as excited about it, as a majority of the book is just screen captures of the anime scenes in the game.

BTW, not sure if you saw it when it went up, but Temzin from these boards translated the interviews in Lunar I&II with Kubooka, Shigema, Miyaji, etc.

http://www.lunar-net.com/artwork.php

If you you're interested in reading it. It's quite interesting, especially the info about the alternate parts to the story that were scrapped (Borgan being killed off, Vane rising again, etc.)
-G1

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I never read any of the interviews, so I'll definitely have to check it out. Thanks for the link, and thanks to Temzin for taking the time to translate it for us. I remember when I first got the artbook how exciting it was to look through, and see all that was presented. It was always a shame I couldn't read anything in it, but now I'll be able to! Yay! :D

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Yeah, the SSS artbook really isn't anything special. :| I have the Lunar I & II though and that one I'll never part with! That and my Phantasy Star Settei book are never leaving me. :P
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Damn, well that's a $70 disappointment! :(

Here I was hoping for something special, but it seems it will fall short. Well, it will just be one more thing I've collected, and I'll still like having it.

I read the translated interviews, and it was Shigema I believe, that said he wrote the Lunar saga as a trilogy. The original Four Heroes story, Alex becoming a Dragonmaster, and Lucia and the Blue Star. If that is the case, it doesn't seem as though we'll have a Lunar game take place in continuation of Eternal Blue. I like that we'll most likely be seeing the story of the four heroes after Dragon Song, but I was also looking forward to the actual Lunar 3 taking place after the events of Eternal Blue and the re-awakening of the Blue Star. I just wish that we get our prequels and a future sequel.

I'm sure GameArts would be interested in our suggestions, eventhough we're not in Japan. When they know the fans are out there, and still interested it would seem like we become their motivation to continue. They sure seemed to want feedback from the fans according to the interviews.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Eh, I still rather like it. There are some nice sketches of the characters at the beginning (including one or two of Dyne, pre-Dragonmaster), and a scan of a piece of sheet music of the opening song. Possibly some interviews or at least commentary too; I don't have it with me so I can't check.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, the SSS is still good, just not Lunar I+II quality. Also, that Lunar DS Nintendo Power article (which was written by SegaBoy, BTW) from last month had an interview with one of the scenario guys, who said Four Heroes would likely be next. When Shigema talks about the three stories (he's said it somewhere else too, but I forget where), he generally just meant the untold story of the Four Heroes, and then Lunar 1 and 2. Lunar 3 would still take place after Lunar 2. That's why I still think they're just going back and doing this new game and the Four Heroes on the DS, then we'll finally see a console return with Lunar 3. That's my theory anyways, and it does sound quite possible from what that interview said.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Silver Phoenix wrote:I already bought the Lunar I & II artbook years ago back when the Lunar-L list existed. I am an original, beotch!

Oh now you're stretching back! I signed onto the Lunar-L relatively late, though. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Yeah, a lot of us from the list used to chat on mIRC and created the first online roleplaying stories for Lunar way back when. I still have letters from people on the list, and Lunar t-shirts that were airbrushed for me. Memories...

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

I still have some of the e-mails. (And I've since decided that my Ghaleon Dragonstar persona could've used some doses of maturity at times. >_<) I keep on semi-regular contact several people though; Nadia/Lily, DMLou, Rick Wheeler, DMAes, Hahn (the first Lunar IRC RPG GM), and Roas Atrades is a regular on my Shrine to Ghaleon message board, so for me, the Lunar-L hasn't entirely gone away. There are a lot of people who I haven't heard of or from in years, but at least a subset has stuck around.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Lunar t-shirts that were airbrushed for me. Memories...

The ones from Renn? I still have those around somewhere too. Great stuff!
-G1

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I have Nadia's letter, and yeah the shirts are from Renn. He didn't do such a good job airbrushing a silver phoenix on the back of the one. It looked like a retarded chicken. :P He even said he messed that one up. I remember all of the people you mentioned. As far as maturity, we were all a bit younger then so at times we would have said things that we might not have said in the present. Silver Phoenix is part of who I am, so I would say I am always true to form.