JP to NA changes?

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
love a riddle
Lostest Boy
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

JP to NA changes?

Post by love a riddle »

I'm wondering if there were any major JP to NA changes in any of the Lunar games. Does anyone have anything to say about this?

SinReVi
Saith Pirate

Post by SinReVi »

They changed some names of the main characters a little bit. Hmm... I have only played Lunar Legend.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Actually, some people have written up full reports on this. I know Alunissage did this, and JWL at Rune's Shrine to Ghaleon board has also done it with at least one game. I believe Kizyr has mentioned quite a few things too. Off the top of my head though, these are the changes I know of:

- In TSS and SSSC, Meryod was changed to a hick town.
- Most names are fairly intact, though Fidy was changed to Quark. I know there's a few others that were altered, but can't remember them offhand.
- Obviously the save state system in the original EB was altered for the US version.

I know there's lots more but I'm drawing blanks right now.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Those are certainly the most major, though I think you need to reword that bit about EB's save system. Others that come to mind:

- Most names were just spelled differently to better match English pronunciation. Tempest and Fresca were originally Temzin and Pilya, Lunn was Linus, and the Dragon Ship Destiny was the Valgan; those are the biggest changes besides Quark/Fidy that I can recall.

- Item and spell costs were changed a fair amount in EB, generally to make things harder. Ronfar's Tranquil Litany in particular was ridiculously cheap in the Japanese, and some of the dragon spells were significantly less than 99 MP.

- Some difficulties were adjusted. In particular, EB's Borgan is harder in the Japanese version, casting Gravity Bomb more frequently.

- I've only checked this on the Korean PC version, but as far as I know the Japanese SSS does not include any music from the SegaCD game, while WD put in two or three clips of TSS music.

- Obviously the Star Dragon Theme was added to EB.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Ok, G1 linked me to the old boards and I found where I made an older post after having played the Japanese version of TSS (Sega CD only). Here's a list of all the changes--mostly dialogue--that I found. This was made in the context of too many rumours about major changes by WD in the storyline, all of which were greatly exaggerated. Anywho, here's the original:

The ones marked with "-" are changes. Anything marked with "*" is the same, but an unexpected, interesting similarity. Anything marked with "?" I'm not sure about--those are the one's I'd like it if y'all could check. If you can confirm them, please do that, too, because I want to make this list complete. KF

-------------------------------------------

- Opening text dialogue screen (have screenshot of it)

- Opening animation comes after title screen, not before

? If you have a save slot empty, you can load it to reload the last point at which you saved.

- Nall's voice is a bit lower (and, in my opinion, better)

- Ramus just says he'll prepare for the trip, not get a few snacks

* Dyne is said to have died in his last adventure to the Frontier

* There's still humour, like Nall saying Luna'll be mad if Alex messes around in her room

- Alex's mother taught him to play the harp

? Seem to be a few jokes in the original NOT in the translation. E.g., talking to the girl at Burg's entrance with Luna, Alex suggests (with the ...) that if she wants a boyfriend, why not Ramus

- Ramus has a pot lid, not garbage can lid, at the beginning

- Monster names are different, of course. Like "Beetle" instead of "Dung Beetle", or "Death Crush" instead of "Fatal Hopper"

- Shopkeepers don't make as many jokes when you try to sell them unsellable items. E.g., trying to sell flint or Noah's letter. Instead, they encourage you on your adventures and the like.

- Bum in Meribia says panhandling is easy in Meribia, but doesn't imply you're a sucker

- Mel doesn't mention not letting Jessica marry some doctor or lawyer. But he does talk about choosing someone fit for her--like an adventurer. Like Alex. Oh ho ho ho!

? You can go to the shop and for 50S try to extract your magic earlier (Nash isn't there). But if you do, nothing happens.

- Dross says that he'll be returning to his hometown after beating him and getting your 3000S; he runs from town, rather than being chased out by Mel; but Mel does exile him.

- Everyone's favourite NPC at the transmission springs. Instead of saying the tootsie roll, it's: "The floating city... hm... there are memories of adventures of long ago in that place, but... Ah, crap. I don't remember. Who the hell am I?"

* The Cave of Trial is still a Cave of Trial. Any rumours about it being changed by WD in the translation are apparently inaccurate.

- No mention of "The time I fought Galam!" by one guy in the cave

- The fellow who's been there for five years... well, he's been living there for five years, but he doesn't seem cheerful and content about it

- Interesting... one of the students in Vane mentions that: "After the old Goddess Althena passed away, the Black Dragon went mad. Defeating the insane Black Dragon was Dragonmaster Dyne's last adventure". I don't remember them saying that Althena 'died' before, or the cause of the Black Dragon's insanity at that.

? Book in Vane says there are 5 Dragon Magics... ? Must be including the White Dragon's Teleportation or Holy Light (you learn after getting Althena's Sword)

? Book in Vane mentions that the first Dragonmaster is the one who changed Lunar into a life-sustaining world (lit. green land)

- Probably obviously, the guard at the guild says just "You can't enter now" instead of "You can keepa knockin' but you can't come in"

- Instead of singing "Welcome to the Dungeon", guard below just says "This is the dungeon. Those in the Magic Guild who disobey Lemia are put here."

- ...I don't like Ghaleon's voice. He sounds too weak and plain. Though, John Truitt *did* come off as sort of evil from the get-go

- Ghaleon's assistant is never mentioned by name. He's called Glumm in the English version, and Gazelle in the Japanese remakes.

- Again probably obviously... In Lann, instead of "Why does every RPG have to have at least one worthless drunk?", Jessica just yells at him about how useless he is

- Dragonmaster Zoc never mentions his name.

- The two outspoken members of Mia's fan club have slightly different dialogue. One says "Ah!? Mia!! I.. I'm making a comic (doujinshi) of you. Could you model for me please?" Mia's reply: "I... well.. can't really do that. Sorry..." (English had him asking to sign his notebook, she said "Anything for a fa--wait, have you always stuttered?")

- The other member of Mia's fan club just says "Oh, Mia... I'm Member #45 of Mia's fan club. Oh I never thought I'd actually be this close to you!" To which Nall replies "Is he really studying here? I'm worried about Vane's future..."

- Mel's old nickname was closer to 'blood-soaked Mel'. Though, "Hell Mel" does sound about 100x better.

- The girl in the couple you disturb up in Mel's mansion (every time you disturb them they walk to a different corner of the room)... she doesn't mention Alex ever, but rather says roughly the same thing the guy does in feminine speech. In the English, I think the fourth time you speak to her, she says something about wanting Alex.

? I don't remember this NPC dialogue... but one guy in Saith (when you return with Ghaleon a second time) says: "Did you know? Next spring, it's been decided that Burg and Saith will hold both their goddess festivals together."

- When you return to Burg and visit Luna, in the English Alex has his only two lines of actual dialogue--he says "Luna!" then introduces Ghaleon. In the Japanese, it's just "....... ....... ......."

- Ghaleon isn't as forceful when you revisit Quark's Cave. He does tell Alex that the Goddess and Dragon Tribe have enough power to protect themselves, and yet got Dyne to sacrifice himself for them. But instead of saying "they don't deserve to rule, I do!" He says something more like "The world should be left to those with the most power. Don't you think so, Alex?"

- Ghaleon doesn't directly accuse Quark of causing Dyne's death when he speaks with him in the cave. Ghaleon's the one who mentions that they haven't met since Dyne died, and continues saying that it's regretful, the time has come, and he must kill Quark. He blames the dragons (and Althena) for Dyne's death, still, but it's not as directly said to Quark here.

? There's a little victory music that plays when you get the Dragon Equipment. I swear it wasn't in the English version; I don't remember hearing it.

- The White Dragon's spell is called "Lightning Dragon's Tusk" instead

- The Vile Tribe talks like they're all mindlessly evil, but they don't sound all Meryod-stupid

- One bit I'm glad was changed... When Luna is captured and surrounded, Xenobia says "This girl could be the goddess. So, we're going to take her!" I suppose WD thought (rightly so) that this was way too blunt a hint

- The shrewd fellow in the Nanza Cave B1, isn't a lawyer. He sells "dangerous medicine".

- NPC dialogue in Iluk. In the English, she says how "delicious" Kyle is. In this one, she says "Ohh... aren't you Kyle of Nanza? Quite a good man... <3" Kyle replies "If it's nighttime you can see how much more of a 'good man' I can be. What do you say, cutie?"

- 'Damon' in Iluk, when you ask about Ghaleon, he says "Ghaleon? That man is... right now... doing some very hard work!" (English he says "Ghaleon? Why would you want to know about Ghaleon?") The Luna line is unchanged, though.

- Guy beside the field in Reza says "I'm so bored. I wish something exciting (lit. surprising) would happen, like a guy falling from the sky." I don't think the translation's so blunt with the foreshadowing.

- Guy in Reza bar mentions rumour of Xenobia's army being 1000 Vile Tribe, with Taben having 500 mechanical soldiers

- Meryod, as you probably already know, has people who talk roughly normal.

- Nall's reaction to the singer in the Meryod bar isn't as bad; he just says "Uhhhh..... I don't wanna say anything..."

- NPC left of Mia after the bridge breaks says "There aren't many women in this village... maybe I can pick someone up in Reza" instead of "There ain't many purty gurls here, I should know... I'm related to most of 'em!"
? The inventor in Iluk chickens out by saying he's afraid of heights, not "I'll... uh... be monitoring from the ground!" At least, I think that's what he said in the English.

? Book in Damon's Spire says that when the last dragon Quark dies, a sign of magic power will be lost, the road to become Dragonmaster will be closed, and the goddess will be wrapped in darkness. I don't remember if there was something similar mentioned in the English.

? Another book: "Everything in this book is a lie. But, does that mean that the previous statement is true? Or is it also a lie?"

- Book in Damon's room says that "The girl Luna who was raised in Burg is none other than Althena. But precisely because the name of Luna exists, she is definitely human."

- The Red Dragon's spell is called "Fire Dragon's Flame"

- At the women's spring, the girl says "Sorry but this spring is only for men... Just kidding! Of course, this is a spring for women."

- Stadius and Marius are zones. Katarina is a continent.

- The Blue Dragon's spell is called "Water Dragon's Yell"

- Villager in Tamur lets you know that Myght is antisocial and doesn't like people very much, so he only meets with those he knows.

- This should already be known, but Tempest and Fresca's names are Temujin and Pilia. Temujin, by the way, was Genghis Khan's name, as well.

- Myght of course is just antisocial, nothing to do with b.o. When you talk to him, he says something like "I don't really like people. Machines are the best. Now then, go away!"

? When Nash returns to the party, he's speaking slowly and severely wounded (Mia mentions this, not just from the 1HP left). I don't remember, I think he might've been speaking normally and says he just barely escaped in the English.

? Nash has 1HP left, but he also has 1MP left. Maybe my memory's off, but he might've had just 1HP left and as much MP as you left him with in the English.

? When you save in Pao, it says "Plains Village" instead of Pao.

* Grissol and the previous illness -were- 5000 years ago. I remember some people speculating that might've been a misprint and they meant 500. ...well, maybe Studio Alex meant to put 500 and added an extra zero. But, the villagers do refer to it as "Very long ago" rather than just "long ago".

- "Insane Sword" and the other crazy armour is literally closer to "Mad Warrior's ***"

- The Incan God in Grissol's Cave is called Kalal / Karal. Dunno what it's supposed to be.

- Cadin, the guy who says "Is this... *gulp* Game Over?" Instead says "Is the end of the world at hand?"

- The little runt who tries to pick up Jessica in Cadin just says "Hey, the cute girl over there. You're beautiful, I like you. Will you be my girlfriend?" Instead of the cheezy pickup. Jessica laughs instead of getting pissed off.

- When you return to the woman who sells "adult" goods in Nanza later on in the game, after giving her pitch about her wares "not being for kids", Kyle says that you best not be looking forward to anything, she just sells medicine for old folks. When you talk to her again, she says "when you get in your old age, buy my medicine, okay?".

- The guy in Talon who says "There's a whole village working here now"; adds "The name was Bur--something (doesn't remember the full name)". For some reason, I remember in TSS he either said the full name Burg, or just that he forgot the name.

- In Talon Mine, instead of "Yo ho eo go", it's transliterally "ehho! ehho!" (e-xtu-ho) and "eenyakoora" (e~n'yako~ra - sounds like Enya Cola or something.

- Everyone's favourite Bye Bye Air spell was originally Kill Air

- Before Ghaleon's speech about killing the last hope for Alex to become Dragonmaster, there's no little applause by him. He laughs and directly goes into the speech (which, in content, is roughly the same as the translation)

- The Black Dragon's spell is called "Earth Dragon's Anger"

- In Ruid, one fellow says they can't speak ill of Ghaleon or they'll be killed; so, they talk like this: "Ghaleon is a big ******!!" (with the bleep) Another one further up talks about Ghaleon with more bleeps ("Ghaleon is such a ****! Even then, he must be a *******!"). Nobody taking bets on if Ghaleon's bald.

? At the end of the tracks the Grindery leaves behind in the Frontier, after Nall's comment he adds "Maybe it crossed the mountains". I don't seem to remember this addition in the English.

- This is interesting... After revealing his identity, Laike says, "Once we sealed the Black Dragon, I lost all my magic power. Thanks to Ghaleon, somehow my life was saved, but I no longer have the abilities of a Dragonmaster. Since then, I've lived my life as the carefree adventurer Laike. I happen to love my life as Laike, but Ghaleon is different." Though the dialogue is roughly the same, does this imply that Ghaleon somehow knew all along that Dyne / Laike was physically alive?

- Furthermore, upon revisiting Burg after Laike reveals himself, go to Dyne's Monument and Nall says "Because Ghaleon knew that Dyne was still alive, he destroyed this grave, didn't he. In that way, I wonder if he didn't really care about it..."

- Holy Light is originally called "Althena's Light"

- Glitch! A guy in Ramus' shop is saying "Ah it's the end... We're made to work here as slaves until we die." It's really supposed to be dialogue from Ruid, but something carried over. Unless Ramus is really evil (have screenshot).

- One fairy's dialogue in Ghaleon's garden: "We were about to die out on the Frontier. But, Ghaleon helped us." In the English, the same fairy instead says that Ghaleon saved them, but placed them in that garden (Jessica replies in agreement saying that it's a prison despite it's beauty). Her response here just says how Ghaleon is still someone trying to take the world.

- Xenobia tells you before fighting that if you beat her, you can use the transmission pad she's standing on to go directly to Ghaleon's chamber--but, it's impossible as she'll soon show you. So says she. Then she shows her true form and y'all fight.

- No scream at the end of Ghaleon's final transformation

? Jessica heals you if you talk to her before ascending up to Luna

- Lightning on the way up to Luna / Althena's place took off a measly 36 HP.

- Luna's more direct; she says once on the way up "Harp? The sound of a harp? I can hear it... Alex!" (verbatim translation)

- One thing that doesn't translate well... The word used for "harp" is koto; 'koto' also means thing or essence. So on the way up, Luna saying that she feels Alex's presence has a double meaning--Alex's presence and, literally, Alex's harp.

- Playing the harp isn't necessary to get to the top alive.

* Alex still sounds like a girl when he screams "Luna!!!"

- Quite obviously, no "oops, too long" at the end of the credits

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

Working Designs' conversions are usually right on the mark. They produce the only English versions of Japanese games I've ever seen that actually preserve the spirit of the original dialogue. So besides Kizyr's observations, changes I remember include Hiro talking a bit more in the US version of Sega CD Eternal Blue (often to good effect, actually). Working Designs often adds extra little flourishes like this ....such as the sound of a ticking clock in Ghaleon's room in SSS when Alex first meets him, very nice. The most major changes usually are in the level of plot hints in Ghaleon's dialogue. A few parts I remember being very different for SSS and EB (spoilers ahead):

[spoiler]1. In SSS in the White Dragon's Cave, Ghaleon refers more obviously to it being "the time for awakening" (for Luna) and "bestowing a goddess upon the world" than he does in English with his clever "Who shall be my queen" line.

2. In EB, the first part of Ghaleon's intro varies notably: rather than sneering that the ancient recording shows his best work, he says instead, "Those are the memories of a foolish man. Humans never fail to amaze me. What mysterious existences humans are....but don't you think so, Lucia?" From then on, the dialogue in that scene is the same malevolence, but Working Designs chose to erase this initial flash of his reformed character. This original Japanese line also matches what he says after Hiro defeats him and swears to defeat Zophar. Ghaleon again says, "What mysterious things humans are," where he said "Your endless resolve never ceases to amaze me" in English since the earlier corresponding line is gone.

3. Zophar in the original screams in pain and surprise over his defeat as he dies for the final time, rather than yelling out that he will never be fully defeated as he does in English...I didn't like the change. [/spoiler]

That's about what I can remember of the major dialogue changes, and it looks like the gameplay elements are name changes are covered!

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Those latter two you've got mentioned Temzin are rather interesting. The second just because it gives away some of his identity IMO, and the third because I always based my thoughts on Zophar returning in a Lunar 3 on that line. Interesting.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Kiz, you should've included a few of my responses to that post, since some of your question-marked items weren't actually changed. :P I should check and see if I saved that list at the time.

I remember that the bit about Zophar returning being an addition also, though not where I read it.

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

I'd gamble that you heard of that change originally through the Dark Scimitar Grotto, Alunissage, since they mentioned dialog changes in reference to the Dark Scimitar fiasco. They even had wavs of certain dialogue so Americans could compare the originial voices, and they mention that bit with Zophar too.

more EB spoilers:

[spoiler]I actually rather liked Ghaleon's original vascillating tone in his EB entrance, though, because right after he remarks at how amazing/wonderful humans are, his words are the same as in the translation: "My name is Ghaleon....a name that was buried together with a cursed memory. If there is a god who controls destiny, it seems he quite enjoys mischief..." Having that obviously unkind second half of his speech added to the mystery around his character for me anyway rather than giving it away, but it is a minor point, I suppose.

But while Zophar is nearly as charismatic an evil (for a god of darkness) in Japanese as in the American translation, he just utters stock villain phrases when defeated ("this cannot be..." "impossible that I could be defeated...argh", etc.) rather than yelling out in anger (which left a bad taste in my mouth at the thought that he could return). Interestingly, in the EB comic by Naruse Kaori that came out much later, Zophar does swear that he'll revive countless times as long as there is evil in humans, and Lucia states that humans will defeat him each time.[/spoiler]

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I don't think all of that was specifically the Grotto, which was defunct by the time that Hatless/JWL played the Japanese game as I recall (he also posted it at the Shrine's messageboard, where I saw it); however, he did post his list of differences and the WAVs on the same site that was holding the Grotto at that time and linked it on one of the pages. I grabbed it all then, and later copied the Grotto itself from the Internet Archive, since it's no longer online.

I remember that bit from the EB manga too, though of course I was reading a translation. Possibly the developers did intend that interpretation of Zophar's persistence and essentially his nature as being tied to the evil in mankind.

scaryice
Student of Vane

Post by scaryice »

Kizyr wrote:? There's a little victory music that plays when you get the Dragon Equipment. I swear it wasn't in the English version; I don't remember hearing it.

? When Nash returns to the party, he's speaking slowly and severely wounded (Mia mentions this, not just from the 1HP left). I don't remember, I think he might've been speaking normally and says he just barely escaped in the English.

? Nash has 1HP left, but he also has 1MP left. Maybe my memory's off, but he might've had just 1HP left and as much MP as you left him with in the English.

? Jessica heals you if you talk to her before ascending up to Luna

1. There's a "roar" that plays as they show the piece of equipment, but no victory music. At least, none other than the usual one.

2. Nash is talking normally, and says:

"I was wounded when I tried to escape from Xenobia. She must've figured out that I was trying to pull a double-cross... I barely escaped."

3. You get healed from the Blue Dragon's spirit. After his return, I believe Nash has 74 hp (out of my max 156) and 1 mp.

4. Jessica definitely heals you in the American version as well.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Are you sure you don't have Nash's HP and MPreversed there? I have your run around here somewhere but don't have time to check right now.

Yeah, I addressed a bunch of those when Kiz first posted them, like the healing. It was quite an interesting discussion.

The fanfare is (possibly) on the Japanese OST, since there's a track there I was unable to identify and it was vaguely fanfarish.

Welcome to the board, by the way. I wondered if you'd show up after that post at SDA. ^_^ (I have a different username there/m2k2, if that wasn't obvious.)

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Yeah, I'm very certain that Nash had only 1HP in the US version when he returns. The MP might have been variable, I don't recall that, but I'm positive about the HP. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)