Childhood's End Translation

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
red9_merchant
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Childhood's End Translation

Post by red9_merchant »

Is there anyone working on a translation of Lunar: Childhood's End? I was wondering because I've been very bored the past week and need a new project, and I was deciding whether to translate that or go back to my Final Fantasy IV and VI doujinshi scanlations. :/

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Re: Childhood's End Translation

Post by Shiva Indis »

No one's been working on it for a long time, but that's because there's been a translation floating around for years.

http://www.moonreading.lunarpages.com/l ... unenki.txt

I've been sitting on a tuned-up version of it, but I haven't done anything with it largely because I'm completely stumped as to what てへりんこ means.
「まあいいけど。」

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I finished the first two chapters, and am about halfway through the third.

Expect it up on LunarNET by about mid-February, I'd estimate. Though perhaps sooner. The dialogue here is infinitely easier than the Vane manga. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

red9_merchant
Student of Vane

Post by red9_merchant »

Thanks. I didn't want to start translating it just to realize that it had already been done. Luckily, I just have to worry about my FF4 and FF6 doujinshi, now, which has no furigana. :/

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Yeah, I mean to finish a translation of all the manga by August.

After that (or perhaps during?) I'll shore up the full summaries of those Lunar novels. I had one of the SSS novel, 10x longer than what's up now, but that got lost with the last update unfortunately. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Racoati
Lyton Singer

Post by Racoati »

It's pretty moving to know there are people so dedicated and tireless working on these things, especially since Lunar's not a new fandom and these aren't quite new creations -- it's heartening to know the fandom still has unrevealed canon, nw things to look forward to. I keep ogling that one "Lemina in Training" novel, myself; I was pleasantly shocked to see her getting her little slice of the spotlight.
<a href="http://catofthe.sunlesslands.net/eternal">Eternalism</a> :: ostracised by the Lunar fandom since 2005, so you don't have to be ~ oddpairing chaos galore!

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The manga aren't exactly unrevealed; there have been translations of all five for years. That said, it's still great to see a new one. I'm curious about the Lemina In Training novel myself; it's the only one that will be completely new.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Yeah, unfortunately it's kind of last on my list of novels...

Well, second-to-last. The Magic School novel is last. I'd like to renew my work on the novels this year as well. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Racoati
Lyton Singer

Post by Racoati »

It's okay, don't worry about it. ^^ Fandom loves all things, believes all things and waits patiently for all things.... well, okay, that's not often true, but it's the ideal. ;)

I guess the manga aren't, you're right, though they were a happy surprise to me. ^^ I'm still kind of shocked that Lunar has official novels, though. I know it's not unprecedented for series in Japan, but it's still above and beyond what I'd dreamed.
<a href="http://catofthe.sunlesslands.net/eternal">Eternalism</a> :: ostracised by the Lunar fandom since 2005, so you don't have to be ~ oddpairing chaos galore!

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I can't think of any RPG series that doesn't have a novel based off it. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Silentcrisis
BANNED

Post by Silentcrisis »

were any of them published in english

Racoati
Lyton Singer

Post by Racoati »

KF -- really? I guess I don't keep up like I should.... I've only heard of novels for two series in total, though assumed there were more: Lunar and Tenchi Muyo. Wow, I suck at being informed. ;)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

KF -- really? I guess I don't keep up like I should.... I've only heard of novels for two series in total, though assumed there were more: Lunar and Tenchi Muyo. Wow, I suck at being informed.

Don't worry. You're not the only one. I actually didn't know that either. I knew there were probably other series with novels, but didn't realize just how many.
-G1

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I have Tales of Phantasia and Sakura Taisen novels myself. Besides that, there's novels for pretty much every RPG series out there... Almost none of them are published in English (none that I know of), and they're pretty much useless for anyone who doesn't understand the language. Hence, why most folks aren't interested in picking them up, and few have really heard of them. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Racoati
Lyton Singer

Post by Racoati »

Heh, now I'm kind of curious about how much FF6 stuff (my other big videogame love) is out there that I don't know about....

red9_merchant
Student of Vane

Post by red9_merchant »

Racoati wrote:Heh, now I'm kind of curious about how much FF6 stuff (my other big videogame love) is out there that I don't know about....

Thus is why I have my website dedicated to FFIV and FFVI. It has some basic game information, but mainly for searching for rare merchandise and making translations of the doujinshi.

But I am glad to know that at least these translations and summaries are happening for Lunar. Lunar just doesn't have the popularity that Final Fantasy does, and its sad. =(

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Kizyr wrote:I can't think of any RPG series that doesn't have a novel based off it. KF

Hmm. What about Breath of Fire? I can't say I've ever gone out looking for BoF novels in particular, but I've never found any. Nonetheless game novels are very common in Japan. Take the bibliography of Hosoe Hiromi, who wrote the Lunar 2 novels, for an example of how commonplace game novels are over there...

Grandia 3, Wild Arms 4, Wild Arms Alter Code F, Abarenbou Princess, Eternal (Skies of) Arcadia, Legend of Mana, Grandia, Lunar 2, Princess Maker 3.

Racoati wrote:Heh, now I'm kind of curious about how much FF6 stuff (my other big videogame love) is out there that I don't know about....

Collecting Japanese FF6 stuff is tough, because of all the little magazine insert booklets and stuff. But there are 6 CDs, 5 strategy guides, the piano book box and the trading card set to name a few. Then there's special stuff like the Amano collectors plate of the FF6 cover art, but that doesn't turn up often.
「まあいいけど。」

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Shiva Indis wrote:
Kizyr wrote:I can't think of any RPG series that doesn't have a novel based off it. KF

Hmm. What about Breath of Fire? I can't say I've ever gone out looking for BoF novels in particular, but I've never found any. Nonetheless game novels are very common in Japan.

Hm... yeah, come to think of it, I've never seen any BoF novels myself. There are comics, sure, but no novels that I've seen.

I ran a quick check through amazon.co.jp for any Breath of Fire books, and that turned up just that: comics, but no novels (most of the Lunar novels, meanwhile, do show up). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Racoati
Lyton Singer

Post by Racoati »

So is that where you got the actual hard copies of those novels from? Unless one is in Japan, how does one actually get those to ship to you?

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I'm not the one to ask. All the books I bought were in bookstores in Japan. I never ordered anything besides finding the occasional rare item on eBay--and even then, none of my Lunar books came that way.

I should mention that most of the novels were hard to find there, as well. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)