Is there a LUNAR 3?!

For discussion of rumors of any new Lunar games, including the nonexistent Lunar 3

Is there ganna be a LUNAR 3?

Yes
66%
No
34%

Total votes: 38

sylanthir
Meribian Merchant
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by sylanthir »

I don't ge tthe argument about how the series felt complete after ebc, it ends on a cliffhangar. They're waiting to repopulate earth, obviously there is a necessary conclusive third act to the story. Like any drama in the first act you introduce the world in the second act you establish what the conflict is and in the third you resolve it. I doubt it will ever be, but I will never stop waiting for Lunar 3.
"the jedi turned against me, don't you turn against me!"

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

sylanthir wrote:I don't ge tthe argument about how the series felt complete after ebc, it ends on a cliffhangar. They're waiting to repopulate earth, obviously there is a necessary conclusive third act to the story. Like any drama in the first act you introduce the world in the second act you establish what the conflict is and in the third you resolve it. I doubt it will ever be, but I will never stop waiting for Lunar 3.

Sorry, but I really don't see that as a cliffhanger. From a writer's perspective it is an open ended happy ending. The Blue Star is recovered...Zophar is defeated...the future is laid out before them waiting to be experienced...and they are together and happy and in love.

What's so cliffhangery about that?

And everyone else's plot arcs were summed up with the credit clips showing their lives after Zophar.

Honestly, if they are even going to attempt a Lunar 3, then they need to think outside the box of cliche's. What kind of game would it be if your sole purpose was to repopulate the planet....a pretty raunchy game if you ask me :twisted:

Seriously, though. There are ways they could pull off a Lunar 3, but I honestly believe that there are no story tellers out there with the professional swing that are capable of coming up with something original let alone good. I mean, Lunar has already fallen victim to the pathetic prequal plague, and look what happened? We got a game that the majority of the fanbase is unhappy with.

By jumping on the prequal bandwagon, I feel that was pretty much the white flag of "Sorry, but we're out of good ideas to continue to this franchise in the right direction. Enjoy."
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

Lunar6000
Nanza Bandit

Post by Lunar6000 »

All the need to do is make the new adventure start on the blue star.... and have some new evil or even zophar make a return.....

They can keep making them if they wanted to... I honestly thought the ending was open... you could add on to it.. like I said make the new adventure begin on the blue star.
"Not Ghaleon Dear Quirk.. Magic Emperor Ghaleon!"

sylanthir
Meribian Merchant

Post by sylanthir »

to say that because the story of the characters featured in eb is concluded the story of lunar is done would mean that eb should not have been made as all of the characters stories were tied up in the first lunar. The larger story arc is about how the people of the blue star had to leave their world and how they returned to it. Return of the King, Return of the jedi etc etc...A THIRD GAME WITH A THIRD SET OF HEROS IS NEEDED TO TELL THE TALE OF THE RETURN.
"the jedi turned against me, don't you turn against me!"

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

sylanthir wrote:to say that because the story of the characters featured in eb is concluded the story of lunar is done would mean that eb should not have been made as all of the characters stories were tied up in the first lunar. The larger story arc is about how the people of the blue star had to leave their world and how they returned to it. Return of the King, Return of the jedi etc etc...A THIRD GAME WITH A THIRD SET OF HEROS IS NEEDED TO TELL THE TALE OF THE RETURN.

Here here! :)

I always thought that the ending of EB could go both ways really. Of course I've always wanted there to be a Lunar 3 that takes place on a restored Blue Star (or as its still being restored). I don't think Zophar as the main villian would be too good. I realize he had a hand in destroying it the first time around, but I'd like to see a new villian. And of course the new heroes.

Blue_Sycro
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Blue_Sycro »

Yeah I felt like EB had sort an ambiguous ending. It wasn't exactly a definite ending, but it wasn't exactly a cliffhanger. Like, if it ended with Hiro finding out that he can make it to the Blue Star and then the credits, then that'd be cliffhanger-ish.

But talking about the abandoned Lunar 3 makes me a little depressed :?

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

sylanthir wrote:to say that because the story of the characters featured in eb is concluded the story of lunar is done would mean that eb should not have been made as all of the characters stories were tied up in the first lunar. The larger story arc is about how the people of the blue star had to leave their world and how they returned to it. Return of the King, Return of the jedi etc etc...A THIRD GAME WITH A THIRD SET OF HEROS IS NEEDED TO TELL THE TALE OF THE RETURN.

Huh? :?:

I'm sorry, but your logic escapes me.

This larger arc you speak of was in fact already answered by the existence of EB. The hidden larger arc of TSS/SSSC was why the Blue Star had to be abandoned, and that was indeed told in EB/EBC.

So the Blue Star has to be repopulated...what's the story there? All that seems to be to me is Lunar: The Sims, Harvest Blue Star (some of you should get the pun), and Sim Blue Star. I mean, where's the adventure in all of this? The people return to fix a frozen planet...to battle ice and harsh earth that will not yield crops...as far as enemies go that ain't Zophar level :P

And in what franchise handbook does it say there has to be a third part to a series? Granted, Trilogies have that nice round feeling to it, but just siting two franchises with the word Return in it does not make the telling of a return necessary. And, while I assume most people know this, the original title of Return of the Jedi was Revenge of the Jedi. Lucas only changed it when he realized that a Jedi would not seek revenge. So, that kinda blows your theory alone there.

Technically, the Jedi do not actually return for another 6 years after Episode VI in the Jedi Academy Trilogy. For all that time, there is really only Luke..but my Star Wars geekness is getting off topic :P

I'm sorry, but unless there was a hidden plot that there as an even bigger evil controling Zophar, I just don't see a story to reveal or tell. Playing a game about repopulation, while ripe with the potential for raunchy moments and the joy of building cities, is kinda heroless in the kind of heroes we are looking for. Sure, there would be great leaders and heroes of reconstruction...but no one slaying the great evil that we expect.

Like I said, your logic does not makes sense to me.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Um, gotta disagree here. You're going to a planet that hasn't been explored in thousands of years. I'd say that lends to a ton of adventure. Noone said the planet would still be barren by the time the people moved back. In fact, it would likely have been re-forested, as seen at the end of EBC, with the clouds breaking and grass growing. I think perhaps there could even be creatures, or heaven forbid, humans, who had held out in caves over the year. Not likely, but that's what imagination is for. And who said all the ancient temples, shrines, etc. might not still be standing, or in ruins somewhere, with whatever hidden powers and treasures might lay inside? I certainly think a hell of a third Lunar could be made from this. And in addition, it's certainly possible Zophar could be returning to power at this time. Personally, I think arguing that there can't be a third game just because there seems to be an ending to the characters from the previous game is a weak argument. EB was a story created on it's own. It drew a few characters and events from the previous game, but only to give it some history. No different than Lunar 1 drawing from it's past in Dyne's adventures. But the overall EB theme, especially when you look at the Sega CD titles, was a completely new story that added a ton to the understanding of what Lunar is. A Lunar 3 set on the move to Blue Star could be done, and done quite well.
-G1

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

GhaleonOne wrote:Um, gotta disagree here. You're going to a planet that hasn't been explored in thousands of years. I'd say that lends to a ton of adventure. Noone said the planet would be harsh. And who said all the ancient temples, shrines, etc. might not still be standing, with whatever hidden powers and treasures might lay inside? I certainly think a hell of a third Lunar could be made from this. Personally, I think arguing that there can't be a third game just because there seems to be an ending to the characters from the previous game is a weak argument. EB was a story created on it's own. It drew a few characters and events from the previous game, but only to give it some history. No different than Lunar 1 drawing from it's past in Dyne's adventures. But the overall EB theme, especially when you look at the Sega CD titles, was a completely new story that added a ton to the understanding of what Lunar is. A Lunar 3 set on the move to Blue Star could be done, and done quite well.

Put that way it makes plenty of sense, and I can see logic behind your words. I totally agree there could be ancient ruins holding the goddess knew what with potential for adventure. There are tons of things that could spawn a Luanr 3, as I said a few times, even wrote about it.

But in just saying there had to be a third game to tell about a return, let alone it having to be about the return, didn't make sense to me.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I see your logic there. But I do hope for a third game based on this. I also hope they continue to tell previous adventures, just a little better than the style Lunar DS did it in. :P
-G1

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

No no no. Think Actraiser Lunar.

There's a building mode, and a fighting mode.

Actraiser, man! the original!
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

ActRaiser was awesome. Too bad the sequel wasn't.

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Roas Atrades wrote:The people return to fix a frozen planet...to battle ice and harsh earth that will not yield crops...

I would play this game. :P

Hehe... Well, maybe not. I wouldn't want the next Lunar game to be another Harvest Moon, because if I want Harvest Moon I already have that. ^_^ But it could still be an intersting game.

I think there could be a Lunar 3, but EB wraps up its own story well enough that there is no need. There really was not need for the original TSS to have a sequel either. What was left hanging at the end of the game? Nothing really. Ghaleon was defeated, Luna saved. Alex and company went home to their happy ending.

But, given the Zophar was an evil god, there's not much topping him. Ghaleon was still a mortal being, so you could top him in the sequel by making an evil god the last boss. What's going to top Zophar? I wouldn't want the third Lunar to be about Zophar returning again because he was not a particularly remarkable villain in the first place and the story would feel more or less like EB redux.

That's not to say that Zophar can't return at all, but I don't think he should be the last boss or the main villain. He'd need a good twist to him. Like how in Phantasy Star 4 we find out the series recurring villain Dark Force is actually just a piece of the Profound Darkness. (This twist works better for DF than Zophar since Zophar is quite the flashy independant god, whereas DF was more nebulous, malevolent entity that may or may not have been a deity on its own.) And that still leaves the question of what danger could top Zophar. If Game Arts can't find a similarly epic level story they'll probably keep spitting out gaidens (assuming they make another game after Dragon Song).
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I think it would be interested to have Zophar running around as a mortal, trying to regain his powers. How this would occur, I'm not sure, but that's what Shigema is for. :P This was an idea from the old Lunar Threads, but I can't remember who suggested it. It just seems like it would work well. The party could be running around trying to catch up to Zophar. This could all be going on while the people are on the move to the Blue Star, leaving two worlds to explore.
-G1

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Well, if Zophar suffered a similar curse to Lucia's...perhaps she cursed him for a change...the threat, then, is him undoing it.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Rune Lai wrote:
I would play this game. :P

Hehe... Well, maybe not. I wouldn't want the next Lunar game to be another Harvest Moon, because if I want Harvest Moon I already have that. ^_^ But it could still be an intersting game.

I think there could be a Lunar 3, but EB wraps up its own story well enough that there is no need. There really was not need for the original TSS to have a sequel either. What was left hanging at the end of the game? Nothing really. Ghaleon was defeated, Luna saved. Alex and company went home to their happy ending.

But, given the Zophar was an evil god, there's not much topping him. Ghaleon was still a mortal being, so you could top him in the sequel by making an evil god the last boss. What's going to top Zophar? I wouldn't want the third Lunar to be about Zophar returning again because he was not a particularly remarkable villain in the first place and the story would feel more or less like EB redux.

That's not to say that Zophar can't return at all, but I don't think he should be the last boss or the main villain. He'd need a good twist to him. Like how in Phantasy Star 4 we find out the series recurring villain Dark Force is actually just a piece of the Profound Darkness. (This twist works better for DF than Zophar since Zophar is quite the flashy independant god, whereas DF was more nebulous, malevolent entity that may or may not have been a deity on its own.) And that still leaves the question of what danger could top Zophar. If Game Arts can't find a similarly epic level story they'll probably keep spitting out gaidens (assuming they make another game after Dragon Song).

What comes to my mind as you suggest that, is not really having Zophar come back, but instead have a classic type of encounter. As so:

Pty is in the middle of whatever their quest is, and they stumble upon a ressurection ceremony. Yatta yatta yatta, and the party ends up fighting a partially ressurected Zophar, which they end up pounding back into the ground to stay dead. A used idea, but it still works, and at the same time we have the Zophar camio yet he does not interfere and make himself the reused main villain.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Hey, that gives me an idea! Let me combine all of those thoughts on a returning Zophar...

Ok, we'll set this in a revived Vane magic school, kind of like L:MS but without the horrid encounter rate. It'll be low-key and all and you try to progress through each year. By this time, too, legends about Zophar and the heroes who defeated him are all commonplace.

Now, you and your friends at the magic school find out about a sinister plot to revive Zophar. But when he's initially revived, he's all weak, so he requires the assistance of people from within Vane. So you might have to fight against your own magic professors eventually to stave off his return. The climax could come when he gets fully resurrected in the graveyard behind Vane and you barely escape with your life.

...what, don't tell me this has already been done? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Pish posh, man. It's not like we're gonna make him eat Poor Lucia again (who is still immortal if I'm the one running the world. Hiro, sadly, is not...)

She has enough tragedy in her life.

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

No, there won't be a Lunar 3. It's has been well over 10 years and there hasn't been any word of Lunar 3 in a long time. After all of this time you think there would have been more announcements or footage of the game at one point... but that never happened. At this point, it's safe to say: Lunar 3 is never going to exist.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I still see no reason to write it off. It's not like anyone expected Lunar: Dragon Song when it came around. Or even Lunar Legend. Granted, the odds are stacked against it, but at least a few of the members involved in the series are interested in continuing it.
-G1