a call to arms

For discussion of rumors of any new Lunar games, including the nonexistent Lunar 3
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by phyco126 »

Alunissage wrote:
phyco126 wrote:Though, since we are on the topic of grammer and what not, when I see this: "The boy jumped over the moon [sic]" what does the [sic] mean?
[sic] is used when quoting to indicate that you're transcribing the source material exactly. In other words, if it's a misspelling or the like, it's not your fault. For example:
Phyco wrote:That was all is [sic] post was last night.
I'm indicating that the typo "is" for "his" is something you did, not a mistake on my part, which is sometimes an important distinction when you need to establish your credentials to your readers by making it clear that you're not careless or ignorant. It can be a hard call whether to clean up quotes to make them more legible or leave them as is to be clear on what the source actually said yet risk people thinking YOU'RE the one being unclear or are perpetuating someone else's mistake; [sic] helps clarify the latter.
Alrighty, thank you very much. So now that I know what it is, is there actually any history/meaning to why it's used with [] instead of () and why it's "sic?" Source Isn't Clear? ???

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

phyco126 wrote: Alrighty, thank you very much. So now that I know what it is, is there actually any history/meaning to why it's used with [] instead of () and why it's "sic?" Source Isn't Clear? ???
It's actually not an abbreviation or an acronym for anything. It's just a plain English word. Also, I would guess that it's in brackets to prevent the reader from mistaking it for part of the quote.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Actually, it's Latin and more properly italicized, as is et cetera or i. e. People don't bother much, though. It does appear in parentheses sometimes and I'd guess is more likely to be italicized in that case since the italics will set it apart from the quote. But brackets are commonly used to interject comments or missing words or letters.

American Heritage New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition

sic

A Latin word for "thus," used to indicate that an apparent error is part of quoted material and not an editorial mistake: "The learned geographer asserts that 'the capital of the United States is Washingtown [sic].'"

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Alunissage wrote:Actually, it's Latin
Well, yeah, but it's English in the sense that's it's in common usage and is in every major English dictionary-- similar to the word cliché or fiancée. That´s what I meant.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Right, but those words aren't italicized.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

GhaleonOne wrote: And for the record, if you make a comment like that towards one of my admins again and you'll be banned instantly.
any particular reason why this doesn't apply to everyone else as well? did you ever think he might've responded so rudely because Kizyr just HAD to be a smartass about it?

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I'm sure it would apply to everyone, no matter who got called it, but think about it. You punch a guy in the face, what happens? 30 days jail at best. Punch a cop in the face, what do you get? Several years in prison.

And responding as a jerk or whatever, he could have simply ignored it.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

phyco126 wrote:I'm sure it would apply to everyone, no matter who got called it, but think about it. You punch a guy in the face, what happens? 30 days jail at best. Punch a cop in the face, what do you get? Several years in prison.

you mean like his bad spelling and punctuation could've been ignored? "blow me" is very excessive and will clearly lead to what has happened here, but nobody should just be allowed to be rude. "blow me" is rude. "sassy" image posts are rude.

When a normal poster gives an attitude he/she gets some sort of punishment or at least berated. when an admin is rude it turns into a situation like dad slapped mom at the dinner table. "you kids keep looking down at your plates and eating."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:
GhaleonOne wrote: And for the record, if you make a comment like that towards one of my admins again and you'll be banned instantly.
any particular reason why this doesn't apply to everyone else as well? did you ever think he might've responded so rudely because Kizyr just HAD to be a smartass about it?
Probably not. But he still would've been just as difficult to understand as his first post. If I responded normally via regular text and no images, it wouldn't've had any effect.

Then again, I don't quite care. His last couple posts don't make it look as if he'd exert any kind of effort to type legibly.

Besides which, you're not really one to talk. Even when you've gotten polite critical comments, you've blown it out of proportion.
syl wrote:am i allowed to debate this or will i be banned or have further posts removed if i continue?
Feel free to continue; but, I'm probably going to continue posting images/messages like that if you don't bother with at least simple things, like separating sentences and using some punctuation. It ain't about typing perfectly; it's about at least using some conventions of the English language so that other people can understand what you're saying.

Also, your posts were only removed because you posted three times in a row. Double-posting generally isn't done here (unless you're coming back and giving some kind of update on, say, a two-week old topic or something). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

To add to what Kiz said, yes, had he said that to a normal member, he'd still be in hot water. I wanted to emphasize that he was doing it to an admin though, as I put the admin's in place to enforce the rules and I don't appreciate someone coming back with that kind of reply. Was Kiz's image post sarcastic, yeah. But I don't even find it all that rude, when the guy couldn't even bother to use the bloody shift key.

Thing is, this isn't a democracy. I fit the bill that allows all of you to post here. I spent the time creating LunarNET and a place for Lunar fans to come to. In fact, I think I've earned the right to say there's only a few people outside of developers and publishers that have done as much for this series as I have (DM Lou, Rune Lai and a few others). Therefor, I would think I have the right to run things however I damn well see fit on my own site that is owned, operated, run, bought and paid for by me exclusively. If anyone has a problem with that, that's not my concern. I really don't give a damn if it seems unfair, unjust, or biased. Really, I don't. I don't want a board that's run like GameFAQs and looks like GameFAQs, so when an admin gets onto a member for posting like they're in middle school, I really don't see a reason to feel bad about it.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

phyco126 wrote:I'm sure it would apply to everyone, no matter who got called it, but think about it. You punch a guy in the face, what happens? 30 days jail at best. Punch a cop in the face, what do you get? Several years in prison.

you mean like his bad spelling and punctuation could've been ignored?
No, I mean how he could have ignored Kiz's post. I saw Kiz's post as sarcastic, a bit mean and cruel, but I still laugh when I see it. Then I forget he even posted it and go about my way. It's not like it's the first time Kiz has posted those pictures to someone. All the admins are asking is that people at least try to put some effort into their post. That's how I see it, no big whoop. Nothing to cry about.

Besides, I would rather Kiz do stuff like that than Ruby V Chan =O

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

GhaleonOne wrote:Thing is, this isn't a democracy. I fit the bill that allows all of you to post here. I spent the time creating LunarNET and a place for Lunar fans to come to. In fact, I think I've earned the right to say there's only a few people outside of developers and publishers that have done as much for this series as I have (DM Lou, Rune Lai and a few others). Therefor, I would think I have the right to run things however I damn well see fit on my own site that is owned, operated, run, bought and paid for by me exclusively. If anyone has a problem with that, that's not my concern. I really don't give a damn if it seems unfair, unjust, or biased. Really, I don't. I don't want a board that's run like GameFAQs and looks like GameFAQs, so when an admin gets onto a member for posting like they're in middle school, I really don't see a reason to feel bad about it.
you could've made that a lot shorter and said "my house. no back talk."

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

GhaleonOne wrote:Thing is, this isn't a democracy. I fit the bill that allows all of you to post here. I spent the time creating LunarNET and a place for Lunar fans to come to. In fact, I think I've earned the right to say there's only a few people outside of developers and publishers that have done as much for this series as I have (DM Lou, Rune Lai and a few others). Therefor, I would think I have the right to run things however I damn well see fit on my own site that is owned, operated, run, bought and paid for by me exclusively. If anyone has a problem with that, that's not my concern. I really don't give a damn if it seems unfair, unjust, or biased. Really, I don't. I don't want a board that's run like GameFAQs and looks like GameFAQs, so when an admin gets onto a member for posting like they're in middle school, I really don't see a reason to feel bad about it.
you could've made that a lot shorter and said "my house. no back talk."
He has said it shorter before, but you know what? People, somehow, never seem to understand the shorter terms he posts. So, who knows, maybe people will understand this new explanation of it.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

real eye opener, if ya ask me.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Alunissage wrote:
By the way, Werefrog, it's "prescriptive" grammar, not "proscriptive". Not trying to give you a hard time, it's just that the meaning would be rather different...
Ah well... it was 3:00 am my time when I wrote that, and I had just finished a nine hour shift. That's just a flimsy excuse though. It was probably just ignorance on my part. I don't think I've ever seen the phrase written out and with a mid-Western accent the two sound similar (I've only heard it mentioned briefly in cognitive psychology when we were discussing syntax and semantics). My bad.
B.G. wrote: real eye opener, if ya ask me.
Sounds reasonable to me. This site is a reflection of G1. Think of it this way: Say, you have one of those whiteboards on the front of your door (as is the custom with the North American dorm resident). Someone writes (or draws) something on it that you don't like. You have the right to erase the offensive material. The same holds true for G1. This is his board. He owns it. He can erase it at will. If you don't like it, buy your own board.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

GhaleonOne wrote:I don't want a board that's run like GameFAQs and looks like GameFAQs.
Word.

For the record, your hard work is greatly appreciated, G1. You rock. :-P

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Thanks. I just wish I could get the new site up quicker. It turned into a bigger project than expected, but I think it'll be fully worth it when finished.

BTW, that was no knock against GameFAQs as a site. It's actually an extremely useful website. It's just, they're so huge, so naturally, your forum is going to be so large, it would be impossible to keep under complete control. They seem to have to rely more on users to find posts that are against the rules. But really, when you considering the amount of individual forums they have there... that'd be a nightmare to keep track of.
-G1

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

GhaleonOne wrote:Thanks. I just wish I could get the new site up quicker. It turned into a bigger project than expected, but I think it'll be fully worth it when finished.

BTW, that was no knock against GameFAQs as a site. It's actually an extremely useful website. It's just, they're so huge, so naturally, your forum is going to be so large, it would be impossible to keep under complete control. They seem to have to rely more on users to find posts that are against the rules. But really, when you considering the amount of individual forums they have there... that'd be a nightmare to keep track of.
I bet your glad you don't have to manage a forum of that scale, huh?

Yea I agree with Ilovemyguitar, kudos to ya G1! :)

So anyway regarding the original topic of this thread, I feel that there is something we (the crazy hardcore lunar fans) can do to get Game Arts to make a Lunar 3. Not a letter or a petition, but something. What would that something be? I have no idea... :cry:

sylanthir
Meribian Merchant

Post by sylanthir »

being put in a position of power does not make someone infallible (if you live in the states like i do see our president.) regardless of what sort've administrative powers kizyr has been granted it does not change the fact that his behavior was extremely rude. just because you think you're smarter than someone doesn't make it ok to be disrespectful towards them.
"the jedi turned against me, don't you turn against me!"

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

Zophar wrote:So anyway regarding the original topic of this thread, I feel that there is something we (the crazy hardcore lunar fans) can do to get Game Arts to make a Lunar 3. Not a letter or a petition, but something. What would that something be? I have no idea... :cry:
I heard something that fans of the tv show Jericho(?) when they heard it wouldn't be returning...they sent the execs boxes full of nuts, I think, and as a result got 10 more episodes and a chance to stay on. Crazy? but it worked....
Image"Sample my goods!!"