One thing for sure about Lunar 3...

For discussion of rumors of any new Lunar games, including the nonexistent Lunar 3
SPALAX
Saith Pirate
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

One thing for sure about Lunar 3...

Post by SPALAX »

After boring myself playing Dragon Song, the sure thing is that I am not putting a finger or wasting a second on another Lunar game.

They ruined a good game with the third installment, like when Breath of Fire came out... too bad.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: One thing for sure about Lunar 3...

Post by DevNall »

Heh, the third Breath of Fire was the first one I played in the significant depth, so you can imagine what sort of view I had about the series for a while..

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: One thing for sure about Lunar 3...

Post by Roas Atrades »

SPALAX wrote:After boring myself playing Dragon Song, the sure thing is that I am not putting a finger or wasting a second on another Lunar game.

They ruined a good game with the third installment, like when Breath of Fire came out... too bad.

Technically, DS is not a third installment, considering it relays zero connections to any of the original storylines.

And what you mean with BF?? BF3 was agruably the best game of the series with its connections to the first game, the great story, the slick graphics, and the overall feel.

Now BF 4, that ruined the series, heh, with its poor plot, weak characters, and completely uncompelling overall story and theme :twisted:
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Don't forget Dragon Quarter. Which was...messed up, but...eh. I got through it, anyway. Took willpower, though.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Angelalex242 wrote:Don't forget Dragon Quarter. Which was...messed up, but...eh. I got through it, anyway. Took willpower, though.

By that point, I wasn't even going to try it unless I heard amazing reviews.
(Which I did not.)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

To be honest, I always thought the first one was weak and lacking in plot. It bored me, but I gave the second one a shot. The second one actually seemed better, but I never finished it. I haven't touched the series since.
-G1

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

The first one was fine for the era it came out in. It was the peer of Final Fantasy IV.

then again, Capcom was never as good as Squaresoft.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

BoF1 was great for what it was and given the competition at the time. Even playing it on the GBA (I never played the original) I liked it better than BoF2, partially because it was more save-point friendly and partially because it's simplified story prevented me from having WTF moments. BoF2 had a more fleshed out story, which made it good when the story was good, but bad when the story didn't make sense or wasn't up to stuff.

BoF3 was a different animal, and gameplay-wise I think there were several issues that could've been handled better, but in terms of story it's my favorite. I liked that the game never became about saving the world so much as Ryu trying to find his place in the world.

And just to be picky, but if you consider Draon Song to be an installment of the series, then you'd also have to include Magic School, which was never brought over here (making DS the fourth game).

I think of it as more of a gaiden though since it doesn't not appear to be intended to be on the same level as TSS/SSS or EB.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

I found BoF 1 to be a really average RPG; not bad by any means, but not that great either. I didn't really bother with the series after that, but I picked up a copy of Dragon Quarter recently because several people (whose gaming opinions I tend to agree with) have had really good things to say about it. Hopefully I'll enjoy it.

In general, a bad installment to a series won't make me completely give up on a series. I'll probably be skeptical of future releases, but I figure "never say never."

Lunar6000
Nanza Bandit

Post by Lunar6000 »

Dont know what some people are smokin but... BOF the original was indeed the best one...

BOF3 was horrible because it was good until the ending... the ending sucked.. both of them.
"Not Ghaleon Dear Quirk.. Magic Emperor Ghaleon!"

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Well, you see, different people have different priorities. It's really not necessary to characterize people with opinions other than yours in that way.

I've never played any of the games but have IV and Dragon Quarter unopened. Actually, I think I did read the latter's manual. All I've seen is a teeny bit of II when a friend was playing it on GBA. He showed me a sample of lousy translation and I have to say that pretty much prejudiced me against it. That and I heard about some horribly inane fetch quest. But I may get to the series someday. DQ interested me the most, in part because of how much people complained about it being different from what they were used to.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

It's different indeed. The most important difference is Dragon useage.

There's a counter for the whole game, and if it hits 100%, you die.

And all your cool powers add to the D-Counter. Poor old Ryu gets FUBAR on that score.

Then again, the Dragon is virtually a God, and you get what you pay for. It reams all opponents. Even the main bosses are no match for the Dragon.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

So you have to ration out your special abilities throughout the game? That sounds like an interesting discipline, especially for someone like me who never uses magic because I might need it.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

That's the idea, yes. If you overuse the Dragon, it's game over. And Ryu has a cool map ability called D-Dash that lets you run right by enemies...but yes, it adds to the D-counter.

So. The temptation, then, is to give into the Godpowers of the Dragon against, say, a boss you REALLY don't need the Dragon for.

And that's actually most bosses. Only a couple actually require the Dragon.

Lunar6000
Nanza Bandit

Post by Lunar6000 »

Well the game is unique in that aspect than... after all when you get the uber power you want it to work right?

Anyways I gotta buy Breath Of Fire for advance cuz it kicked ass.

-1-
"Not Ghaleon Dear Quirk.. Magic Emperor Ghaleon!"