Orginal names?

For discussion of Lunar: Legend, the scaled-down port of Lunar 1 for the Game Boy Advance
Enclave
Iluk Crackpot
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Orginal names?

Post by Enclave »

I read over here a while ago that the characters had different names in LL before Ubisoft got permission to to use WD's names. Does anyone have a list of them on hand? I'm curious to see how different they are.

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: Orginal names?

Post by Alunissage »

The only one I remember offhand is Luc for Laike. And I think Phaidy (Quark).

Admittedly, the names that WD changed are mostly for later character, and I don't know if the people playing early review copies (which I think might be the only source for those earlier names) would've played far enough to see, say, Tempest and Fresca. Mainly I remember startled complaints about Phaidy (possibly spelled Fidy) and surprise that Nash had a last name. As did Laike. I'm pretty sure they used Alex (as opposed to Arhes), less sure whether they kept the spellings of Nasch and Luhna.

AkagisWhiteComet
Red Dragon Priest

Re: Orginal names?

Post by AkagisWhiteComet »

I remember the issues with seeing Phaidy as the name for Quark which caused a stir. I thought it was a bit weird, but I've kind of always had the Shakespearian mindset of "What's in a name?" It was nice to see some more last names start to pop up other than Ausa and Al Kirk. More surprising than seeing Nash's last name as Rumack was seeing how early the party meets Nash, which differed from the other Silver Star games (I believe it was more in-line with the novels.).

Working Designs had a bit of the same medicine Ubisoft went through with re-using names. I remember when they were attempting to release Rayearth on the Saturn they had a difficult time securing the rights to the English versions of the character's names, and some variations from the actual official names exist (Zagato being called Zagat in English, for example). They mention the issue with the names briefly in the translation notes in the back of the instruction manual.