seems a little pricey...

For discussion of Lunar: Legend, the scaled-down port of Lunar 1 for the Game Boy Advance
maravida
Lann Fisherman
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

seems a little pricey...

Post by maravida »

so, prior to my recent revisiting of Lunar SSSC (and my limited knowledge of the series as a whole) i didnt really know this game existed.

im pretty interested, i have a soft spot for Lunar SSSC and from what i can tell this is a retelling of that story. seems like it would make a good portable RPG, light and fun.

but when i looked up prices online it seems like its 35 dollars? that seems a bit steep to me. i say it cheaper on a few sites, but nothing i trusted. just wondering if i should really throw down 35$ for a portable version of a game i already have?

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Re: seems a little pricey...

Post by phyco126 »

? SSH isn't even that expensive. Granted I guess this is out of print, but its worth maybe $20 to me.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

If you like the idea of having a portable version of Lunar, have an older Nintendo DS, and don't want to buy a PSP? Go for it. Or, if you're a completionist, go for it. But otherwise... I'd hold.

I don't know whether the price will go down any, so I can't advise you to just sit and wait. :/
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kitdra
Student of Vane

Post by Kitdra »

I'd say keep looking... maybe try a Play and Trade store if there's one around (you can get info on that from a GameStop)... they may have it for cheeper...

WhiteKnightLeo
Red Dragon Priest

Post by WhiteKnightLeo »

Hello,
Every once in a while I decide that it's time to go on eBay to look look for rare Lunar stuff because I like to collect it. Then after I am done with that I come on here to see what is new. I noticed your posting and took the liberty of trying to find you a decent price. The first two are almost identical and come with the complete included items. The third one is dirt cheap but it only comes with just the cartridge. Enjoy

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lunar-Legend-Ninten ... 483db95a0c

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lunar-Legend-Game-B ... 4aa537ff02

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lunar-Legend-Game-B ... 2eb186a4b8

maravida
Lann Fisherman

Post by maravida »

Thanks everybody!
and double thanks whiteknightLeo! i ordered one of the 20 dollar ones that comes with the case. i didnt even really consider ebay as an option, i dont really know about bidding on things. but i forgot about the "buy now" option!

WhiteKnightLeo
Red Dragon Priest

Post by WhiteKnightLeo »

No problem. I used to use eBay for all my Lunar needs.

Lishy
Lyton Singer

Post by Lishy »

Lunar Legend is totally worth it in my opinion. It re-interprets the story of Lunar in very interesting ways, though the battle system was heavily watered down.

For example: Nash joins you in search of the White Dragon cave, Alex and Co. have a more developed departure from Burg, dungeons are vastly redesigned, amongst other things. My main complaint is it watered down the Lunar mechanics too much, but the equipment selection is vastly superior to any other Lunar game to this date, with lots of different strategies you can use.

I would recommend playing it with a walkthrough though, as there are many secret items you can permanently miss.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

It's nice to see someone standing up for Legend; it really tends to get the short end of the stick. Though not surprised it's you doing so. ;) One thing that tends to be overlooked about Legend is that it has some truly adorable sprites, still my favorites in the series. Of course, this was probably the trade-off with not using range in the battles, since the sprites are fairly large on the battle screen, but it's one I don't mind. This is, after all, the only game in which you see Luna swinging a frying pan, Kyle in boxing gloves, and Mia making fish and books and the like fall from the sky.

I hadn't thought too much about the equipment other than there being major balance issues and a dizzying array of accessories. Will have to compare the equipment lists with the other games' and see if it's really that much more varied in a useful manner.

Lishy
Lyton Singer

Post by Lishy »

You finally got to fight mr. Grindery, or whatever his name was. He built the chicken suit. I think that gives it some cred since he only appears once in all of Lunar.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I loved L:L. For a portable Lunar, it was epic. I didn't care much for all the changes, but I also embraced them and accepted them for what they were. A retelling of the legend of Alex the Dragonmaster and his friends, the heroes.

Also, the sprites are spiffy. Me love them long time. Plus, they made my 'comics' a possibility.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."