a new lunar legend?

For discussion of Lunar: Legend, the scaled-down port of Lunar 1 for the Game Boy Advance
iloveayu
NPC
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

a new lunar legend?

Post by iloveayu »

hi... im new here and i really like your site its nice. i was just trying to find anything about about a new lunar gba game? i know theresa one for that new nds? a friend of mine siad she heard a new gba game was comming out. she emailed me a picture of a reza from lunar legend but its alot bigger. i was just wondering if anyone knew anything aobut it? i cant find anything about it anywhere. heres the picture.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b350/ ... 9/reza.jpg
i turned on my gba game just to make sure i didnt miss this in the game but its not there? is this just for the jap game?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Huh, weird. Looks like a fan-made image honestly. It's not a new GBA game though, as that would have been announced. And if it were something in development, there certainly wouldn't be an entire image of a town. My guess is it's fanmade for a fangame of some sorts.
-G1

YoungDyne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by YoungDyne »

Oh yeah, you can bet two dimes and a dollar that's fan made. RPGMaker style...I was actually using the program to help move my LUNAR manga along, but (and no offence to whoever made this) my stuff looked more believable ^^

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

You have to wonder why they didn't make an Eternal Blue remake for the GBA. It would be interesting to see yet another take on that game, but I'm all for new games instead of rehashing another remake.

Post by Guest »

You have to wonder why they didn't make an Eternal Blue remake for the GBA. It would be interesting to see yet another take on that game, but I'm all for new games instead of rehashing another remake

Yeah I always wondered why they didn't make Lunar EB for the GBA but, if sales for Lunar:Dragon Song go well they will most likely will make a portable version of Lunar:Eternal Blue.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I would suspect because of the Cart size. Lunar1 was way shorter than Lunar2, so having the fit a game that's bigger onto a cart that was probably near a max state to begin with the first Lunar, then I would imagine why they didn't do it. That, and of course sales sucked from what I heard.

Any of that make sense?

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

phyco126 wrote:I would suspect because of the Cart size. Lunar1 was way shorter than Lunar2, so having the fit a game that's bigger onto a cart that was probably near a max state to begin with the first Lunar, then I would imagine why they didn't do it. That, and of course sales sucked from what I heard.

Any of that make sense?

Only the part about the sales. A Lunar 2 remake for the GBA might sound good, but it really wouldn't sell so well.

The size isn't really a problem. SSS was about as long as the original EB; trim away the voice and anime sequences, then the game isn't that big filesize-wise. They could also alter the storyline somewhat like they did with Legend--maybe base it off the novelization. Lunar: Legend had some elements borrowed from the SSS books, and the EB books are somewhat different from the general Eternal Blue storyline. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Divine Dragon wrote:Yeah I always wondered why they didn't make Lunar EB for the GBA but, if sales for Lunar:Dragon Song go well they will most likely will make a portable version of Lunar:Dragon Song.

Uh, Dragon Song is portable. The DS does not require a TV.

Kiz, did you read the EB novels already, then? I'd like to know what differences they may have, although I know you're quite busy already.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

We really don't need more hand held Lunar's anyway, do we? Give us the full glory of console releases. :)

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I just read a little of the first EB novel. I went back to re-read the SSS novels and update the summaries, but that was nearly a year ago and I've been busy nonstop since then (I think I'll be able to pick up on some of my side projects next week, however).

There are a few differences I noticed early on. I was at the point where Gwyn, Hiro, Lucia, and Ruby are escaping the Blue Spire. The guardians come alive, but they can't fight them since Lucia is too weakened. So, they send Ruby off to fly and seek help from Leo. After then I started getting too busy to find time to read it. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

That is different, considering Leo is to assume Lucia is some dark destroyer, and game wise Hiro doesn't even know Leo yet. Too bad we couldn't have translated versions of these novels, to read here in America.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Leo still thinks that Lucia is the destroyer, and Hiro and Gwyn are both aware of this. But, they figured they had the best shot this way. Hiro still meets Leo early on--actually, the first part of the novel until Hiro finds Lucia is almost exactly like the game. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Post by Guest »

Uh, Dragon Song is portable. The DS does not require a TV.

oops I ment lunar eb not lunar dragon song and I dont know if anyelse noticed this but if you shorten Dragon Song it comes out DS.
So DS is on the DS. :)

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Divine Dragon wrote:oops I ment lunar eb not lunar dragon song and I dont know if anyelse noticed this but if you shorten Dragon Song it comes out DS.
So DS is on the DS. :)

Oh no -Dragon Diamond-!

Alun, please don't respond to this, tempting as it may be. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I think Kiz said it all, more succinctly than I would.

Edit: bloody page breaks strike again. >_<

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

The world just needs more Lunar games in general. A lot of people don't have a Sega CD, and most Americans can't read Japanese for the imports. So this leaves SSS Complete and EB Complete which can usually only be found on E-bay since gamestores are slowly killing off their PSX stock. (Around here at least) And Lunar Legend.

That's why this series is so underrated! The people who actually play Lunar love it, the rest either never heard of it, or never played it.

I'd like to see the actual sales figures of Lunar Legend too. I had to special order my copy because the EB Games couldn't keep it in stock. Maybe they only got a couple copies per shipment?

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Personally, I feel that all the Lunar games should be re-released on the PS2/PS3/Xbox 360 via DVD collections. I mean, why not? WD brought Arc the Lad over and did it, so why not have GameArts let WD do the same, but with ALL the games every released? (Yes, that's right, the game gear lunar and the GBA lunar on a DVD)

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

How about because it may not be financially feasible? If I'm not mistaken, Arc the Lad Collection involved a set of games repackaged together for the system they were originally released on. Programming-wise there was nothing that needed to be done to release them as a collection.

But with Lunar collection (involving all of them), you're looking at a GBA emulator, a Game Gear emulator, a Sega CD emulater, a Saturn emulator, and possibly a Playstation emulator (Saturn has as the SSS and EB remakes and Magic School, making a PS1 emulator is less necessary). Either someone's going to have to program all of that or someone's going to have to port all of them because none of them are native to the upcoming generation of hardware. (Even if the PS3 will play PS1 games, if you put them all on the same disk you'll need an emulator or a port.)

And that's not going into any potential tangle of legal rights as to who owns what. Just because GameArts created Lunar doesn't mean that they have all the rights. It's entirely possible they sold the rights to repackage games for a Lunar collection to some random company that we've never heard of and so there's nothing they can do about it anyway.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well, I'm have no clue about gaming programs, but couldn't it be possible to just change some of the coding around to make the game run on another gaming consel? Of course, that probably isn't possible for the older games, but look at games that are released for the "GC, Xbox, and PS2!" Those games are very similair, but run on differant consoles, so I would imagine it was just a few thousand lines of coding that was involved.

As for the finances... do we have any multi-millionares in the house?

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

phyco126 wrote:Well, I'm have no clue about gaming programs, but couldn't it be possible to just change some of the coding around to make the game run on another gaming consel? Of course, that probably isn't possible for the older games, but look at games that are released for the "GC, Xbox, and PS2!"

Not really. Those games are designed from the beginning to cross systems. Some systems are easier to program than others. The Saturn got a lot of head partly because it was much more difficult to program for than the Playstation. Rune is right; there's a lot of programming involved, making the prospects extremely expensive. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)