Game Freezing?

For discussion of Lunar: Legend, the scaled-down port of Lunar 1 for the Game Boy Advance
megaplushie
Burg Farmer
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Game Freezing?

Post by megaplushie »

Has anyone had their copy of Lunar Legend freeze up when you cast Jess' Escape spell? Is this a widespread bug or is it just within my cart? I purchased it used from EB Games a few months back, and haven't had any other problems with it. Thanks!

dragonmaster_jonathan
Reza Thief

Post by dragonmaster_jonathan »

i wouldnt purchase anything used especially not a gba game. Used games are mistakes that i will never fall for again. This might be happening because of the sole fact that the owner who originally owned it didnt take care of it.

8)
I'm baaaack....

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

That's your choice, but it sure doesn't answer his question. It might be from a previous user, but that's just one option of many. A great many used games have nothing wrong with them, especially cartridge games.

I believe I did have at least one freeze in Legend, but I don't recall the conditions, I'm afraid. I had partial sprites in Damon's tower, color reversing in Burg, and of course the two bugs associated with saving. All of these were in a brand-new US game, and I saw none of them in the Japanese one, by the way.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Doubtful that it's from previous use. It's a cartridge, not a CD, so if it gets dirty then that won't make the game skip or freeze. Maybe not load, but it won't freeze.

It's likely some odd bug, could be in the programming of the game itself (i.e., there might be a few GBA versions with that bug out there). Does this happen every time you cast escape, in certain dungeons only, or what? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah, more details would be nice. I actually have the Japanese cart where I am (my parents' house) and there might be a save on it I could check. I don't know if my sister got far enough to get Jessica, though.

megaplushie
Burg Farmer

Post by megaplushie »

Kizyr wrote:Does this happen every time you cast escape, in certain dungeons only, or what? KF

It only happens every once and awhile. I can't remember exactly where it froze/stopped responding (it still had music playing), but I was able to successfully escape with her spell in Ruid.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Ok, yeah, that sounds like some in-game bug...

Since you got it used, I don't think there's much you can do at this point. If you bought it recently, I'd suggest taking it back to get it exchanged; but I think EB has a 14-day limit with used games. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Dunno Kiz, carts are a bit more resistent to freezing and the like because they aren't as easily damaged, but the first and only time I rented a GBC game from Blockbuster was a disaster. The game kept freezing or wouldn't even load. Or load and instead of freezing reset itself. Or have glitches up the arse. After taking the game out, I noticed that someone had spelt something on it and it had started to either rust, or maybe it just looked like rust.

Great. And it wasn't a little known game that might have issues like L:L or L: DS. No, it was a freaking Zelda Game :D.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

megaplushie
Burg Farmer

Post by megaplushie »

Oh well, I won't worry too much about it as long as I don't have any other problems with the game. Thanks for all the help!

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

phyco126 wrote:Dunno Kiz, carts are a bit more resistent to freezing and the like because they aren't as easily damaged, but the first and only time I rented a GBC game from Blockbuster was a disaster. The game kept freezing or wouldn't even load. Or load and instead of freezing reset itself. Or have glitches up the arse. After taking the game out, I noticed that someone had spelt something on it and it had started to either rust, or maybe it just looked like rust.

See, if it were a wholesale problem, like the game wouldn't load, or it would load all spotty (like NES cartridges used to do), then it's possible that it's a physical problem with the cart itself. The problem described here sounds like a bug, since it occurs in just one situation when one command is executed. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Atticus
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Atticus »

Kizyr wrote:Ok, yeah, that sounds like some in-game bug...

Since you got it used, I don't think there's much you can do at this point. If you bought it recently, I'd suggest taking it back to get it exchanged; but I think EB has a 14-day limit with used games. KF

Thats why I like GXC 90 Days ^-^
Someone I known asked me about freezeing in Lunar Legend but I told him I never got it due to wanting its PSone Counterpart (wants the anime and still pics)
I ask him what it was see if its samething

Tokimemofan
NPC

Post by Tokimemofan »

This is a known bug as are item glitches and the hp/mp issues with the save system, Overall a very buggy game.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

You did notice that other than the post just before yours this whole thread is from over a year ago, right? And you'd be more correct to call it a very buggy localization, as all of the known bugs appear to be in the US version only (though I know of one dialogue error which I'd rather expect to be in the Japanese version too).