In defense of Lunar: Legend...

For discussion of Lunar: Legend, the scaled-down port of Lunar 1 for the Game Boy Advance
Greco12
Pao Hunter

In defense of Lunar: Legend...

Postby Greco12 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:03 am

Am I the only one who thinks that despite the game's flaws, it at least feels like the developers had their hearts in the right place?

I feel like some of the changes added to Lunar: Legend are actually quite welcome. Granted, it doesn't fix all of the story problems (there are still lingering plot holes), but it at least felt like they had some good ideas.

I do like that they added in Taben as a boss, since in all other versions of the game he just sort of disappears from the story. And appropriately, he's piloting a large mechanical device.

I'm still not sure how to feel about Nash being the one to comfort Mia after Ghaleon defeats the party, since for me the point of the girls holding out hope while the boys were having their pity party was kind of the point (in the case of MiaxNash, Mia remained strong-hearted while the once-arrogant Nash was displaying cowardice or perhaps weakness). On the other hand, I like how LL handles the KylexJessica part of that scene by allowing the two to share a tender moment together outside the bar. I think it has a better impact than just her berating him for being all-talk-and-no-show.

All-in-all, I feel like LL's attempts at building on or adding to TSS were more admirable than SSH's, which came across as fan-pandering (that terrible prologue with the Four Heroes or Jessica's cooking scene which ended up being a red herring).

HiroOne
Red Dragon Priest

Re: In defense of Lunar: Legend...

Postby HiroOne » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:17 am

Your post inspires me to pick up a copy and play. I've played of course the WD originals as well as Silver Star Harmony but I passed on this version because it was yet ANOTHER re-make of Silver Star where I've been dying to see more of Eternal Blue and beyond.

Alunissage
Goddess

Postby Alunissage » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:22 am

I've always liked Lunar Legend well enough for itself, despite some localization hiccups. As I commented in another thread, it has absolutely adorable sprites, especially in battle, and it also has some interesting versions of things such as Nash also looking to be a Dragonmaster (as in the Lunatic Festa CD), the Sub-Vane boss rather than the Trial Cave, and a few other things. We also actually got to see the Festival in Burg rather than just hearing about it. And there were a few fun little secrets (hidden chests, the Protector's Cave, the special sets of equipment, and that one chest in Ramus's shop) that were a bit different from the others. And seeing Alex's mother as more than a sprite. Etc. I think at the time it came out people were kinda fixed on the negatives -- the first non-WD localization (and one needing another edit), range not being part of the battles, the much weaker GBA sound quality, and a few bugs -- and overlooked the positives.

Of course, I never felt that SSH (which didn't have any of those issues aside from a slightly different direction with the localization) was "pandering" with the Four Heroes prologue and the like, and I tend to feel that that that viewpoint is overly purist. I might feel differently after playing the whole thing in English, but my general feeling is that all things that show a bit of backstory not previously known are of interest. (And besides, we're seeing that prologue as a bedtime story told to Alex and Luna, so it could be a bit mythic -- but it DOES at least partially fit in with the backstory in Damon's library in TSS, and shows character interaction between the Heroes that we never see otherwise, so I don't see why it's "terrible".)

Okay, later tonight I'll make the thread I've been meaning to post for a while on Lunar 1 versions. Stay tuned.

Leoriosan
Burg Farmer

Postby Leoriosan » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:14 am

I have some fondness for it since it was my introduction to Lunar, although I admit it's flawed in terms of both localization and difficulty.

I thought it was cool that they made Taben a boss, complete with his own mechanical device. It makes me wish they had added him in as a boss in SSH.

I also liked the Protector Cave, particularly the parts when the voice would speak to each character and ask them about their goals and aspirations. The voice compliments Alex, Jessica, and Mia for their answers (which amount to using their powers to help their loved ones and others) and more or less tells Kyle and Nash, "Eh, that'll do."

Alunissage
Goddess

Postby Alunissage » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:55 am

Yeah, it's way too easy, what with the arts gauges (especially Mia's MistVeil, which is three times as powerful as White Dragon Protect!). Though I have to say it was fun filling up Mia's gauge by having her attack with her special staff that dropped fish and books and such on enemies.

It really is a shame that the localization was so rushed. In addition to the text needing another round of editing, one save slot was subtracted and the item duplication/deletion glitch was added -- which could make the game unfinishable if you accidentally overwrote a piece of dragon equipment. I also don't remember the import having the graphical glitches I found in the NA game. But it's still just a really cute game.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Postby Kizyr » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:29 pm

Alunissage wrote:Yeah, it's way too easy, what with the arts gauges (especially Mia's MistVeil, which is three times as powerful as White Dragon Protect!). Though I have to say it was fun filling up Mia's gauge by having her attack with her special staff that dropped fish and books and such on enemies.

Once I got that staff, it was all I ever used.

Alunissage wrote:It really is a shame that the localization was so rushed. In addition to the text needing another round of editing, one save slot was subtracted and the item duplication/deletion glitch was added -- which could make the game unfinishable if you accidentally overwrote a piece of dragon equipment. I also don't remember the import having the graphical glitches I found in the NA game. But it's still just a really cute game.

What were the graphical glitches? I don't remember any of them cropping up in the Japanese game. (Also, I've never actually played all of the NA release of Lunar: Legend. It's the one version of the Lunar series I haven't played, in fact.) KF

Alunissage
Goddess

Postby Alunissage » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:24 pm

Let's see, I remember the lower half of each sprite disappearing and a sudden palette swap of the entire screen. I didn't see either in the Japanese game (which I played all of, I think). There may have been others, but those are the two I recall. The first one happened within a couple hours of my starting the game.

There's one script error which I'm pretty sure is in both versions of the game. After Damon's Spire, if you reenter -- or possibly just if you talk to the thieves on the first floor after talking to Damon -- there's dialogue about the guildmaster's granddaughter being kidnapped. But this hasn't happened yet. And the thing is, you can't get back into the spire after it does happen, so there is no point in the game in which that text would be read properly.

This is making me realize that a J->E differences section for this game is sadly lacking. It probably would have a lot fewer text differences since the translation was likely pretty literal (to the point of having someone follow a line with "Foo, foo, foo" rather than "Ha, ha, ha"), but there were enough localization quirks to make it worth listing.

Maus
Student of Vane

Postby Maus » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:36 pm

I honestly though that the game was perfectly fine for what it was and I didn't allow any of those flaws to throw me off of it (at least, not completely).

I would also like to point out that they did a whole lot with what little could be offer on a GBA cartridge; this and Klonoa: Empire of Dreams remain two of my all-time favorite ports because of how much they add and how many improvements could be seen on a less powerful machine.

I even think that the in-game cutscenes were a fitting replacement for the animated ones.

Alunissage
Goddess

Postby Alunissage » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:24 pm

To be honest, I have a bit of an anti-voice bias, and I'm not much of one for anime, so I was perfectly happy with the sprite scenes. And I liked collecting cards, even if there was an annoying randomness to some of it. I really need to replay this game... along with, like, EVERY Lunar game. Sigh.

Return to “Lunar: Legend”