So, has anyone here actually played this game?

For discussion of Magical School Lunar, for the Saturn, and its predecessor Lunar: Walking School, for the Game Gear
ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

So, has anyone here actually played this game?

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I'm dying to get my hands on a translated version of it. Does anyone know if such a thing exists, floating around the internet somewhere?

Dingle
Pao Hunter

Post by Dingle »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

EDIT: Sorry, I misread your post.

I think I've only seen snippets of translation in FAQs for the game. I know that isn't helpful. :-/
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

No, it has not been translated. There's a walkthrough for the first five chapters (out of 16, I think) but that's it. Kizyr's been meaning to do a full walkthrough for years but hasn't had the time. He did do a walkthrough of the Game Gear game, though, so you could play through that if you want an idea of what it's like. There are also translations of the Magic School manga, though they're not quite the same as the game, of course.

YoungDyne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by YoungDyne »

I played a few hours of it in japanese without reading a guide...then played it again while reading the guide, and I ended up getting further than I was before. The difference was that the second time it only took me a few minutes to get further, probably due to the fact that I don't read japanese...

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

My guide will be pretty.
Once I get around to it. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Actually, Kiz, if you get around the guide, I'll help you with the design if you'd like.
-G1

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

GhaleonOne wrote:Actually, Kiz, if you get around the guide, I'll help you with the design if you'd like.

That might help... It looks like, at this rate, screencaps and all that won't be likely. Though I will still have some graphical interface.

I need to finish one play-through before writing up a guide, however. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

Hmm, I was just wondering, would it be a good idea to try to find the Strategy Guide?

Also, weren't we discussing translating this game earlier, when you guys have the time, that is.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Depends on who you mean by "we". No one who posts regularly at the boards was, but there were one or two people who came by long enough to say that they wanted to do a translation patch.

I have the Japanese guide, of course, but I think Kizyr prefers to do things himself.

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

I meant before the forums were given another facelift. Back in late April, I believe. It slips my mind who else was talking about it, besides myself and Kizyr.

Did you finish Magic School yet, Alunissage?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Nope, only played the first chapter or two, several years ago.

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

I see. I haven't played in about a month, and I'm still in Chapter 2.

I guess the Strategy Guide you have doesn't help if you can't read the language, huh?

:)
Last edited by Jasonb12 on Fri May 13, 2005 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I don't have it for that purpose. All my playing was done before I bought it. I might try using it if I played again, but I haven't had time to get back to it, so I can't say whether it would be helpful. I did find the Lunar Legend guide to be very useful, but of course LL wasn't much different from SSSC.

Elie
Student of Vane

Post by Elie »

I'm still in the middle of chapter six, myself. Just haven't had any time to play, unfortunately, plus my Japanese is extremely poor.

I have the guide as well, and basically if you can't read the language, the only part that will be much use to you are the maps. Though they do sometimes point out where certain events happen on the maps, which helps.

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

I see. So, it can help, to a degree.

Well, I'll see how far I can get without one.

Audric
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Audric »

Ive played about 8mins of it and couldnt find where to go =P

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

I really like Kizyr's walkthrough; it is very cool to be able to go back and forth between the walkthrough and the game to get the gist of what's going on. Especially for those of us who don't speak Japanese.

In the mean time we should send letters to Ubisoft telling them to port Magic School to the PSP. How cool would that be? Saturn quality gameplay small enough to fit in you pocket. I'd preorder it today if I could. At least they're using the license to make the DS game. But oh how I want Eternal Blue for the GBA! :cry:

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Thank you {^^}. In all honesty, though, I wrote that walkthrough so long ago and haven't yet revised it (unlike the Lunar: Legend guide, which I completely revised about a year ago). I'll bet some of the translations are so off... I'd have to take a look at it again.

Maybe when the Lunar: DS business dies down I'll re-do that site. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

Interesting. I was just thinking about that earlier today. Or, since Sony doesn't like porting old games to new systems, we could ask that it be ported to Nintendo DS.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

How about walking school for us poor folks who just have a GBA, and Magic school for the DS?