Magical School Lunar translation [in progress!]

For discussion of Magical School Lunar, for the Saturn, and its predecessor Lunar: Walking School, for the Game Gear
S.ninja
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Magical School Lunar translation [in progress!]

Post by S.ninja »

I would just like a update on the project :)

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

The creator of it is part of our Telegram chat for LUNAR fans. If you want to join https://t.me/WorldofLunar
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions

Ms. Tea
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Ms. Tea »

angel_x wrote:Hi Ms. Tea, first, I think the PM did not go through when I try to message you.

Anyway, I was searching for Magical School Lunar english translation and I found this site.
I have always wondering how people translating Saturn games.

I know you are busy but I just wondering if there is a guide on how to translate Saturn games, or how do you translating this particular game.
Like which tools do you use for the translation project. What are the steps that you do etc etc.

I am a video game programmer so I believe I can learn really fast on how this whole process works.
I hope you can advice me and point me to the right direction. If possible, like some guide on how can I translate on this same game, doing what you do :)

Perhaps if I got some free time I can help on translating this project as well.

Thanks.
I'm sorry I didn't reply to your PM! Unfortunately, I don't think there are really very good how-to guides out there, but I'm glad to help give you a good intro if you want. At some point I'm going to be blogging about my Lunar translations and that should help with that a bit.
S.ninja wrote:I would just like a update on the project :)
There isn't much progress to report. :) At this point, the hacking is basically done. We're waiting on the translation itself, then I'll be doing initial testing and the script editing.

angel_x
Meryod Yokel

Post by angel_x »

Ms. Tea wrote:
angel_x wrote:Hi Ms. Tea, first, I think the PM did not go through when I try to message you.

Anyway, I was searching for Magical School Lunar english translation and I found this site.
I have always wondering how people translating Saturn games.

I know you are busy but I just wondering if there is a guide on how to translate Saturn games, or how do you translating this particular game.
Like which tools do you use for the translation project. What are the steps that you do etc etc.

I am a video game programmer so I believe I can learn really fast on how this whole process works.
I hope you can advice me and point me to the right direction. If possible, like some guide on how can I translate on this same game, doing what you do :)

Perhaps if I got some free time I can help on translating this project as well.

Thanks.
I'm sorry I didn't reply to your PM! Unfortunately, I don't think there are really very good how-to guides out there, but I'm glad to help give you a good intro if you want. At some point I'm going to be blogging about my Lunar translations and that should help with that a bit.
S.ninja wrote:I would just like a update on the project :)
There isn't much progress to report. :) At this point, the hacking is basically done. We're waiting on the translation itself, then I'll be doing initial testing and the script editing.
No problem, I think the message never goes through for whatever reason. I just wondering if you have the project setup like on Git hub or somewhere where others can access and perhaps contribute? Also, in short, I just wondering what tools you use for the translation? First of course, you need the game. Next would be the tools used for translating and rebuilding the game? Thanks :)

Willreaper
Burg Farmer

Post by Willreaper »

Haven't been around in awhile, last I heard was the translation was all that was left. Maybe it is almost done now?

Zethus Thorne
Lann Fisherman

Post by Zethus Thorne »

Isn't Lunar: Walking School just a spinoff?

LunarBow
NPC

Post by LunarBow »

Is this project dead? What's been going on?

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

...actually I'm wondering the same thing. I haven't heard any updates (here or via email) in almost a year I think.
~Kizyr (they|them)

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

I think Misty is still working on it.
Lotus Moon Productions

Ms. Tea
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Ms. Tea »

Sorry for the silence. It's been a hell of a year; among other things, my apartment flooded, which took all of my attention for awhile!

The good news is that there's progress to show! The first draft of the translation is complete, and Supper and I (mostly Supper!) has made some improvements to the tools so we're able to get it in. The result: we have a build of the game that's (probably) playable from the beginning to the end. The translation is still rough, and there are some text formatting glitches, but at its core the game is actually there. Here are some screenshots to prove it!

From here, we've got three things to work on:
  • Editing the script
  • Improving the tools so it can handle formatting the text better
  • Subtitle the FMVs
As for those text formatting glitches I mentioned? They lead to some fun stuff, like this video where the girls start threatening the player instead of saying what they're meant to say.

Kizyr wrote:...actually I'm wondering the same thing. I haven't heard any updates (here or via email) in almost a year I think.
Check your email. :smile:

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

I cannot wait to play this! Thanks for all your hard work!
Lotus Moon Productions

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Ms. Tea wrote:As for those text formatting glitches I mentioned? They lead to some fun stuff, like this video where the girls start threatening the player instead of saying what they're meant to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEwmeuKzd4M
...that got dark very fast.
Ms. Tea wrote:
Kizyr wrote:...actually I'm wondering the same thing. I haven't heard any updates (here or via email) in almost a year I think.
Check your email. :smile:
!! Got it!

Will do what I can here to help more. But the state that it's in (the translation anyhow) looks fantastic! KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Wow, good work so far!

I'm really looking forward to this translation. Since getting MSL several years ago, I've wanted an English translation to understand what is going on.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Haru
Pao Hunter

Post by Haru »

Thank you for the translation. I hope Lunar Magic School will be available on English very soon

Willreaper
Burg Farmer

Post by Willreaper »

OMG I am so excited to play this for real! Please tell me it is almost done before I explode! Is there an update on things?

AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by AlexHiro4 »

I'm extremely excited about this! Professor Abrassive has finally completed his Satiator accessory for the Saturn. It's basically a mod-free product that allows you to play Saturn games on the original console by reading them straight off of an SD card. I'm assuming, and hoping, that this includes fan translations. If that's the case, I won't even need to play this product of yours on the PC, I'll be able to legitimately play it on my Saturn! So excited! Keep up the good work!
Dwight: "One thing about deer, they have very good vision. One thing about me, I am better at hiding than they are...at vision."

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

AlexHiro4 wrote:I'm extremely excited about this! Professor Abrassive has finally completed his Satiator accessory for the Saturn. It's basically a mod-free product that allows you to play Saturn games on the original console by reading them straight off of an SD card. I'm assuming, and hoping, that this includes fan translations. If that's the case, I won't even need to play this product of yours on the PC, I'll be able to legitimately play it on my Saturn! So excited! Keep up the good work!
This user got Grandia's fan-translation to work, so that shouldn't be an issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_EGdP4vHCI (at the 17:00 mark.) Personally I have a modchipped Saturn, so I have no need for it. But it's always good to have options.

RedHairGreenEyes
Pao Hunter

Post by RedHairGreenEyes »

I'm willing to be the text editor if you are still in need. I'm slated to be script editor for the upcoming rpg 'Kingdoms of the Dump'

Willreaper
Burg Farmer

Post by Willreaper »

Is there any news on a final patch yet?

AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by AlexHiro4 »

Any updates? I have my Satiator, and I'm getting antsy to play this. Lol.
Dwight: "One thing about deer, they have very good vision. One thing about me, I am better at hiding than they are...at vision."