Looks pretty good!

For discussion of Magical School Lunar, for the Saturn, and its predecessor Lunar: Walking School, for the Game Gear
Maus
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Looks pretty good!

Post by Maus »

So... I have been watching some of the -very few- Magic School videos on YouTube, and I gotta admit that the Saturn version looks terrific. Pity it was never translated (although, if they did, they should have changed the encounter ratio while they were at it; that was insane to watch).

Have you guys played it despite it being in Japanese? If so, what are your thoughts on it? I heard the humor is top-notch and the graphic and music seem to be as excellent as ever :)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Re: Looks pretty good!

Post by Sonic# »

I know Kizyr has. I have the Saturn version, but I've never tried to play it. I think when I got it I was busy working on my dissertation, and I didn't think of it afterward. :)
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Maus
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Maus »

That's cool that you have it, though! From what I have heard, emulation is a bit on an issue with this particular game, so having the actual disc and console sounds really cool indeed :)

Hope you can try it sometime :)

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Yeah surprisingly the gameplay mechanics (in-battle at least -- not gonna say the encounter rate was not a pain), the graphics, and audio all hold up remarkably well. And I did really love the style of the story and humor in it.

I've considered going back and doing like a Let's Play of it -- perhaps incorporating subtitles of what's going on so that folks could follow along without me having to spot-translate and narrate things. But that's one of those far-off projects that I just don't have the kind of time to do these days. (I'd fast-forward through the dungeons though to get around that horrendous encounter rate though.) KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Maus
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Maus »

I'd definitely watch that!