THIS is what we need to be asking for!

For discussion of Magical School Lunar, for the Saturn, and its predecessor Lunar: Walking School, for the Game Gear
Leo
BANNED
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

THIS is what we need to be asking for!

Post by Leo »

As great as it would be to get a quality Lunar 3 or a Four Heroes game, the odds seem beyond slim. Ports and remakes are what they know, apparently. We should be insisting on getting a US translation of Magic School.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: THIS is what we need to be asking for!

Post by Kizyr »

As long as whoever is localizing it can fix the horrid encounter rate, then it'd be great.

There is a group working on a translation patch. (I, eh, never had the time to help them out I'm afraid...) I don't know what their progress on it is, however. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Yeah but Saturn emulation is miserable. If that patch comes out, I'll do my best to play it though.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Leo wrote:Yeah but Saturn emulation is miserable. If that patch comes out, I'll do my best to play it though.
I have yet to get it to run smoothly, but I haven't tried on my newest computer yet. I've heard SSF and Satourne yield the best results.

If I do manage to get it running, I'll mention it here. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

SSF is doing a great job playing the game disc for me. My previous laptops could never run in it but this new one is working like a champ. <3
I have to say so far the game is quite enjoyable, but then again I've been trying it get it to play for the last 6 years or so... -_-
I'm also not too far along yet either so my opinion could change later on.

I am planning on covering it over on my youtube as well. The first video should be up by Thursday night or Friday midday.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Did you run into any BIOS compatibility issues, and if so how did you fix that?

I've always run into that with attempting to emulate CD-based systems, where it simply won't recognize my CD drive. That's my current barrier with emulating Sega CD (despite the fact that it actually worked perfectly on my *older* machines). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Kizyr wrote:Did you run into any BIOS compatibility issues, and if so how did you fix that?

I've always run into that with attempting to emulate CD-based systems, where it simply won't recognize my CD drive. That's my current barrier with emulating Sega CD (despite the fact that it actually worked perfectly on my *older* machines). KF
My Sega CD emulator won't sync the audio to the video clips right. =\

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Leo wrote:
Kizyr wrote:Did you run into any BIOS compatibility issues, and if so how did you fix that?

My Sega CD emulator won't sync the audio to the video clips right. =\
For Lunar: TSS, or Lunar: EB? Or both?

If it's Lunar: TSS, that's understandable since it's trying to load the video clip and then play the corresponding track from the CD -- I'd actually be surprised if it did work. If it's Lunar: EB, well... that's a bit tougher. In both cases, the only solution I've ever found that works is to create an ISO image from your CD, then play from there -- but I can never find a good method to create an ISO. KF

(Oh, and obligatory warning that actual ISO trading or linking to places to download ISOs is not allowed on the forums.)
~Kizyr (they|them)

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Lunar 2 will play as an ISO. I can only get TSS to work when it's a folder with the game and then a bunch of numbered MP3s.

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

Truthfully, I haven't had any trouble on this computer. I know in the past I had trouble getting the BIOS to work though. Like on all my previous computers it never once get the game working. ^^''

I'm also playing it on an older version of SSF. Not sure if that matters. I have windows 8.1 on my pc though and I'm using SSF 008 Alpha R1. Here's the first video I did of the game. It looks really nice and I'm actually really excited about playing it through to the end.

VIDEO HERE.

I have noticed during the gameplay that it's not perfect when playing. The game will occasionally freeze before or after a cutscene and you'll hear the game music return but the screen stays black. The only way to advance is to restart from your last save and hope it works itself through it. I've also noticed that during some of the battles the voicing get's weird and you'll see some line glitching going around on the battlefield (mostly by the command boxes). Also the longer you play it the more it acts up - but I think that's just my PC getting tried. XD

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **