Who/what is Glen? [MINOR SPOILERS]

For discussion of Magical School Lunar, for the Saturn, and its predecessor Lunar: Walking School, for the Game Gear
DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Who/what is Glen? [MINOR SPOILERS]

Post by DevNall »

Who or what is Glen? At the end of the new walking school guide, he says he's 300 years old -- but what is the implication of that?

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: Who/what is Glen? [MINOR SPOILERS]

Post by Kizyr »

If anyone is wondering, he's referring to the note at the end of the new WS Story section, and also at the very end of the original walkthrough.

Anyway, I have a few theories, but nothing conclusive. Glen is never implied to be a particular long-lived race (like the Vile Tribe and Ghaleon) -- my theory is that it's just due to (a) his powerful wizardry (the old woman in TSS/SSS near Saith that you get the map from is also similarly very old), and (b) his whole status as a "Guardian of Time".

It does imply that he lived through the entire uprising of the Vile Tribe, though, since that happened about 200 years before the events of Walking School / Magic School. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

That's a good point. The Sea Hag's line in SSSC about age is: "I haven't heard from my sister in 120 years, and now she wants to be friends?" Maybe there's a bit of Magic Race in their background and Glen's, or maybe there are just long lifespans on Lunar. I haven't seen many actual references to what a normal age for anyone is (actual references as opposed to the EB poster saying Ronfar is 45 or Ruby saying that Leo is 30, I mean). Since this playthrough of SSST is de facto turning into transcribing the whole script, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Damon
Lann Fisherman

Post by Damon »

I have yet to find concrete sources. But, long lifespans are highly correlated with members of the Magic Race (such as Ghaleon), powerful magic-users (such as the sea hag and Glen, but not necessarily the Ausa family), and of course Dragons and divine beings. No one outside of those groups has ever been confirmed to live past, say, a typical lifespan of 70-100.

I would wager that being a powerful magic-user is a necessary but not sufficient condition for having an incredibly long lifespan (aside from Magic Race and Dragon Tribe members, of course). Unfortunately, there is nothing I've uncovered yet that definitively answers the question as to what is that extra sufficient condition.
Former Keeper of Knowledge