A Translation Patch [for Walking School] is Almost Ready!

For discussion of Magical School Lunar, for the Saturn, and its predecessor Lunar: Walking School, for the Game Gear
localflick
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

A Translation Patch [for Walking School] is Almost Ready!

Post by localflick »

http://agtp.romhack.net

Aeon Genesis is a site that makes english translations of video games that never made it to America. Lunar Magic School is almost ready, and we'll be able to play it IN ENGLISH!

They linked to a "related video" on YouTube that has some of the Saturn version which was kind of fun to watch too.

Remember, if you should buy a copy of the game to legally use a patched rom file.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Re: A Translation Patch is Almost Ready!

Post by ilovemyguitar »

:shock:

That. Is. AWESOME. Finally, I'll get to play this for myself!

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Wow. It's already pretty much done? I hadn't heard about it before. I wonder if Kizyr had...
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Jesus Christ, this is glorious!

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Now... we just need Mother 3, and I'll be content for a while.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Wait... WHAT??? o_O How did this escape my notice? Do I need the Japanese Saturn version to play the game and apply the patch??

*frantically searches to see if anyone is selling it*
-Nobi

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Nobiyuki77 wrote:Do I need the Japanese Saturn version to play the game and apply the patch??
Depends on if you're willing to break the law.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

No, it's not.

First of all, this isn't for Lunar: Magic School. It's for Lunar: Walking School, the Game Gear game. There is no patch in the works for the Sega Saturn version.

Second, it's been at this stage for months now.

Sorry to disappoint.
Nobiyuki77 wrote:Wait... WHAT??? o_O How did this escape my notice? Do I need the Japanese Saturn version to play the game and apply the patch??

*frantically searches to see if anyone is selling it*
See above. You're thinking of the wrong game.
Sonic# wrote:Wow. It's already pretty much done? I hadn't heard about it before. I wonder if Kizyr had...
Yes. I did some work on it. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

God Damnit.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

Well, it's only been 1 month since they posted it, but "almost ready" by AG's standards is pretty general. There have been games that went from 75% to completion within a few weeks, and ones like Megami Tensei which has been at 85% for almost a year now. I'm hoping Walking School gets released sooner than later, but there's no way of knowing for sure.

Still, it was nice to see the comments and support from people who love Lunar and really great to see that Lunar is getting attention for something that isn't The Silver Star Story or Eternal Blue for once.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

localflick wrote:Well, it's only been 1 month since they posted it, but "almost ready" by AG's standards is pretty general. There have been games that went from 75% to completion within a few weeks, and ones like Megami Tensei which has been at 85% for almost a year now. I'm hoping Walking School gets released sooner than later, but there's no way of knowing for sure.
They posted that well after they were at the "almost ready" stage.

I've been following the development of this here and there (besides actually editing the script and other text). The main reason why we didn't bother reporting anything is because this project has been in the works for literally 9 years. Now, it is finally at a point where it looks like there'll be a complete release in the foreseeable future (i.e., 1 year or less). But given its history, I think it's premature to guess when they might be finished. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

10 year anniversary wooooooooooooooooooooooo!! *breaks out champagne!*
-Nobi

Gideon Zhi
Meryod Yokel

Post by Gideon Zhi »

It's about ready to go. Here are several screenshots:

Image Image Image
Image Image Image

My issue is that the script, well, isn't up to typical LUNAR par. But then, neither is the game. Should this hold back the impending betatest period? Sooner rather than later? Feedback please.

Bravo 29
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Bravo 29 »

I see no real problem, the purpose was to translate Walking School into English, wasn't it? And it's definitely looking promising. That upper right screenshot is perfect for Ant, who's always in a rush. It'll be great to finally play the game in English. I was disappointed that the transcript was never finished on Rebecca Caprowski's site, it never went past chapter six.

I hope they keep Lena and Ant's argument in the Dean's office, that was a riot. Well, here's hoping.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Well, provided all those edits/corrections I sent are retained, I think I'll be pretty satisfied.

I hope you don't mind, but in case we do have a Lunar panel this weekend at Otakon, I think I'll grab a few of these screenshots to mention that y'all are pretty far along with the translation patch for it. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

gamemaster14
Meryod Yokel

Post by gamemaster14 »

The title of this topic should be changed so people know it is about the game gear version not the sega saturn remake as the original post would make you think.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Hm, good point. I'll do that now. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: A Translation Patch [for Walking School] is Almost Ready!

Post by localflick »

http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=lunar

Just to make sure people are aware, AG has been posting frequent updates on this project and said that it will probably be ready within days. So in the next week or 2 there's a good chance that you'll be able to play Walking School in English without a guide.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

A few of the people involved have finally gotten some time to get back to this project, so it does look like more progress is being made at the moment.

I would estimate sometime next year we might actually see it released. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

Sounds good! I guess I'll run through the game once the patch is released...
Last edited by Jasonb12 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To live a life of power, you must have faith that what you believe is right, even if others tell you you're wrong. The first thing you must do to live a life of power is to find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of Time itself. And to do that, all you need is the will to take that first step..."