I got MSL for $20 off of Ebay! How can I play it? Help!

For discussion of Magical School Lunar, for the Saturn, and its predecessor Lunar: Walking School, for the Game Gear
AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

I got MSL for $20 off of Ebay! How can I play it? Help!

Post by AlexHiro4 »

I've often been curious about Magic School Lunar and I typically get on Ebay at work when I'm bored. This week on Monday I was browsing through random Lunar stuff on Ebay and all of a sudden I see "Magic School Lunar, Buy it Now $19.95". How cool is that? I don't even read Japanese and I still bought it. I just thought it'd be a cool collector's item and the price was great. Now that Kizyr is putting together the walkthrough for the game I should actually be able to play it now. One slight problem though...I don't have a Japanese Sega Saturn. I don't even own a Sega Saturn at all. The Ebay prices for Japanese Saturns are more expensive than what I want to pay and I don't have the SLIGHTEST clue where to find a mod chip for an American Saturn so that it will play imports. Do you guys know where I could find a a Japanese Saturn for a good price or where I could find a mod chip? Also, where could I find a Saturn emulator for my PC that plays Japanese games? That would actually be the cheapest way out. Please give me some ideas guys! Thanks.
Dwight: "One thing about deer, they have very good vision. One thing about me, I am better at hiding than they are...at vision."

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: I got MSL for $20 off of Ebay! How can I play it? Help!

Post by Imperial Knight »

One thing you can do to play Japanese games on an American Saturn is to get an "Action Replay" cartridge. It's a memory card that also allows you to play import games. I got one so that I could play the Saturn Langrisser games and its worked out great for me.

You can find them at a number of places, for instance here or here.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Ok, here's the suggestions (sorry this took so long!):

First: Emulators
Zophar's Domain is usually the place to go for emulators. The Saturn emulators are here:
http://www.zophar.net/saturn.html
I've used Cassini, and Sadrin's mentioned SSF. You can download them from here. You may also need a BIOS file or something. You can play Japanese games without a problem like this, but, the down-side is that I can't get it running very smooth on my computer.

Second: US Saturn + Cartridge
This is probably the cheapest option, and what I use. The converter cartridge I've been using for the past 9 years is the Ultra Madness 4M cartridge. I'm not sure how easy that is to find anymore...

Third: Japanese Saturn
This is the most expensive option. Though, not all that much; I think you can find listings on eBay for about $50 or more this way.

Besides eBay, I always recommend Mad-Gear:
eBay: http://stores.ebay.com/Mad-Gear-Import-Video-Games

Their online store is more so for getting games. But, they usually have some hardware whenever they set up at conventions. If you're on the east coast, you can check their convention schedule out and see if there's one near you (I think they go to a few ones in the midwest, too). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by AlexHiro4 »

I actually bought an Action Replay Plus 4m on Ebay today. It was brand new, $25, and I'm a little more familiar with Action Replay stuff than I am Mad Gear products. I also got an American Saturn off of Amazon. I think I'm totally covered now. Thanks a lot for your help Kizyr. I know I've probably been bugging the crap out of you the last few days. Thanks for being patient with me.

By the way, I dunno if anyone is interested, but I saw some guy on Ebay that has 2 BRAND NEW, never been opened, Japanese Sega Saturns for sale. They're $759.05 per system (Buy it Now). I know that's a good chunk of change for a video game system, but holy crap....it's BRAND NEW. If I hadn't spent $1800 fixing a bunch of problems with my car I'd be all over this. Anyway, I thought you collectors out there might wanna know about this. Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =p3907.m29
Dwight: "One thing about deer, they have very good vision. One thing about me, I am better at hiding than they are...at vision."