So... what's in a walkthrough?

For discussion of Magical School Lunar, for the Saturn, and its predecessor Lunar: Walking School, for the Game Gear
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

So... what's in a walkthrough?

Post by Kizyr »

After I'm done with all these comparisons (E-to-J, Original-to-Remake), which should be in the next couple weeks, I'm ready to start finally on a Lunar: Magic School walkthrough.

Yeah, I know, I've put it off for like 4 years.

Anyway, the Saturn emulator I have doesn't allow for speeding up (through battles, e.g.) or screenshots (besides using PrntScrn all the time, which would result in taking more time cropping screenshots than it's worth). So, I'll have to go back to just playing it on the console itself.

The major downside to this is that the walkthrough will mostly be text and some diagrams. But the content will all still be there.

So... what I'm wondering right now is what kind of things folks would want to see in the walkthrough? Some of the basics are easy, like:

- Controls
- Quick character bios
- Magic spell lists
- What to do at each point in the game (the actual 'walkthrough' part)

Some of the "extra" things I'd like to put in are:

- Main storyline translations
- Extra translations (like the books in the library, e.g., that aren't directly plot-related but may be background-related)

Any other ideas? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I definately would want to see storyline translations in this. It's the primary reason I'd have to read a walkthrough of this game.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I might try doing something like setting the storyline translations off to the side. Indenting them or something, to separate that from directions... e.g.,

Code: Select all

Directions on what to do go here. 
Maybe at the end of each section, I could have something aggregated with all the non-plot-related bits that folks might be interested in. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

Theres a Saturn emulator that works? i dont care about speeding up or taking screenshots i just want to play it.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

exigence wrote:Theres a Saturn emulator that works? i dont care about speeding up or taking screenshots i just want to play it.
I've had decent results with Cassini (you can find it at Zophar's Domain - http://www.zophar.net). But, like I said, it's no better than playing on the Saturn itself. Since I still have my Saturn, then there's no point in using an emulator if it doesn't have any additional features.

It's also not as far advanced as, say, Playstation or earlier systems' emulators. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Actually Kiz, I can fit you up with a way to do screen grabs, regardless of the emulator, if you're interested. There are seperate screen grabbing programs that will record when you hit print screen (or any other button assigned) and throw the image in a temporary location until you decide if you want to save it. I don't have it currently installed, but can hunt it down. It was freeware.
-G1

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

...you have my interest.

I'd definitely be interested in trying that out. Not just for emulation/walkthrough purposes, but something like that could help me out at work as well. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

Do you now which bios i should use?

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

exigence wrote:Do you now which bios i should use?
a pack exists that has all 3. US, PAL and JAP.

Atticus
Red Dragon Priest

Re: So... what's in a walkthrough?

Post by Atticus »

1st walkthrough
2ed Controls
3rd Magic spell lists order they learned by chars so know what ones are what
4th Main storyline translations
5th Quick character bios
6th Extra translations

Out what listed those order what I like see done from Most to least

And I look forword this as I finally got copy of Magic School for SS
and just today I got thing that lets me play Inports on my SS

So i greatly look forword to your Walkthrough ^^

Elie
Student of Vane

Post by Elie »

I think some of the essentials to put in the walkthrough is when and where you can learn new spells, since it's pretty random, plus you have to consider that there's people out there that can't read Japanese that well (like me). Basic storyline elements included in the walkthrough would also help, but you don't have to go into great detail over it or anything. I own the strategy guide too which has maps which you may or may not want to use as part of it, but it can get easy to get lost, especially when you're running into battles every few steps.

I'd really love to see a complete walkthrough of this game, besides a basic Japanese one I've found, there doesn't seem to be any other complete ones online.

On a random note, I should try that emulator since my Saturn's batteries keep dying on me. Ugh, I'll never beat Magic School at this rate, even with a full English walkthrough.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I've started working on this now. I'm going to go ahead and take all the notes I need on my first play-through... so if I continue at this current rate then I should be done in a month--two months if I have to restrict myself to just weekends.

Elie, I may ask you for those scans later on. I'm including dungeon-directions right now and sketching out maps as I go, but the maps are incomplete--namely because 1) the lack of items means there's no need to explore every area, and 2) the horrid encounter rate means it's a pain to explore every area. Nevertheless, I'd like to at least include some basic map sketches or something for perhaps a final version of the walkthrough.

As I plan it, there'll be two main versions... The first one will have all the content there, which I'll put together after I finish. The second version will include screenshots and map sketches, which may need to be after the second time I play through the game (if at all...). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

You know, I'm going to include a general strategy section on handling battles. There are some things that you can do that take a lot of the pain out of battling...

For one, setting a goal of ending every battle in 1-3 turns is a good idea. Makes things tons easier. A handful of bosses also seem to be situated in a "grey zone" where you can walk back and forth to regain your HP/MP without even running into monsters. You can also plan ahead to your level-ups (since at every level-up, you regain all your HP/MP). And there's always the tactic of regaining all your MP in one battle by whittling your enemies down to one weakling while your entire party just defends until they're back up to full. Between all those, you can pretty much go all-out or nearly-all-out (which is a trickier and slightly more enjoyable strategy) every battle and still be fine by the end.

Anyway, between those, it actually makes the encounter rate less irritating. Mind you, it's still atrocious, and really frustrating to spend approximately 97% of your time in battles (really, it's an average of 3-4 seconds walking, and a 30-50 second battle).

Oh, and I'm up to Chapter 5 (Ghost Island). After I finish this chapter I'll be at the same place I was when I left off 3 years ago (Mermaid's Jewel). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Ok, I just finished the game!

Now I have to compile all my notes, organize the walkthrough, put together character pages, and all that other fun stuff. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Just so people know, the walkthrough is going to be organized into these sections:

- Walkthrough Usage
- Translation Notes / Special Thanks

- Controls
- Menus
- Characters
- Places
- Magic

- Prologue (before Ch 01)
- Chapters 01 to 12

In each chapter, I'll have:
- all necessary actions to progress the game
- optional actions, related to story, backstory, or generally interesting/funny events
- where, when, and how magic spells are learned in the chapter

Translation-wise, there will be:
- synopses of any plot-related, subplot-related, or generally interesting events
- dialogue translations of many plot-related events
- dialogue translations of all in-cinema dialogue

One thing I will not do is spell everything out. I'm actually trying to write this walkthrough so that there's still a lot in store for people playing the game. To that end, I'm pretty vague and ambiguous about anything that you could understand from character expressions and on-screen events. So, the guide will help you to understand what you would ordinarily get from the dialogue, but it shouldn't ruin anything. At least, that's my goal. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Umm... question. Well, maybe more of a request.

Would it be possible to get a full-on detailed story summary in this walkthrough? There aren't any on GameFAQs, and chances of me tracking down a Saturn, importing a copy of this game, and slogging through all the Japanese is pretty much nonexistent. Finding out the details of this game's story is the #1 reason I'm looking forward to this walkthrough, and it will be frustrating to read through it and find out that I still need to go through all that to really understand what's happening.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

ilovemyguitar wrote:Umm... question. Well, maybe more of a request.

Would it be possible to get a full-on detailed story summary in this walkthrough? There aren't any on GameFAQs, and chances of me tracking down a Saturn, importing a copy of this game, and slogging through all the Japanese is pretty much nonexistent. Finding out the details of this game's story is the #1 reason I'm looking forward to this walkthrough, and it will be frustrating to read through it and find out that I still need to go through all that to really understand what's happening.
Oh, you'd still be able to get all that. No problem. Anything that's related to major events in the story, or background details, stuff like that, can be gotten from the text in the game.

For example, details about Ellie's background can pretty much all be gotten from the text, so that'll be in there. But, when Prof Kent's latest invention fails and causes Lena to fall head-first into the ground and make a Lena-shaped hole in the dirt, all I say is something like "The invention fails, again..."

EDIT: Also another example... say if I give dungeon directions, then I won't say up-front something that's a spoiler. But, since it's going to be apparent later, it's mentioned later. (My idea is to avoid 'premature' spoilers, so if you go through the guide at the same pace as the game, it's possible to avoid them.) KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Ok, the walkthrough is coming along pretty nicely.

I expect to have it done by the end of this week. So, expect the launch by this Saturday.

The only thing I've hit a bit of a snag over are a few of the images, but those shouldn't be a huge problem.

THIS WILL BE THE BEST WALKTHROUGH IN THE HISTORY OF MAN. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sadrin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sadrin »

YAY! I can't wait!
Depend On You Changed My Life.

AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by AlexHiro4 »

Ready by Saturday huh? That's GREAT!!!! That's when my imported copy should be coming in the mail! I know you already told me that I won't find an emulator that auto translates (which I won't need since you're making this walkthrough), but do you know of a good emulator that will at least play both Japanese and English Saturn games?
Dwight: "One thing about deer, they have very good vision. One thing about me, I am better at hiding than they are...at vision."