So... what's in a walkthrough?

For discussion of Magical School Lunar, for the Saturn, and its predecessor Lunar: Walking School, for the Game Gear
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: So... what's in a walkthrough?

Post by Kizyr »

Many thanks to Sadrin who provided me with a messload of images.

It's nearly complete. All I have left is the "Walkthrough Design" section, and explaining how to use the guide. I should have it launched before this evening. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by AlexHiro4 »

Yay!!!! Keep up the good work. Where will it be posted?
Dwight: "One thing about deer, they have very good vision. One thing about me, I am better at hiding than they are...at vision."

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

AlexHiro4 wrote:Yay!!!! Keep up the good work. Where will it be posted?
Oh right, hosting... I knew I was forgetting something...

No, just kidding.

It'll be on LunarNET. You'll see a frontpage update of the thing. A frontpage graphic should come pretty soon as well.

Anyway, I've completed the actual walkthrough. I'm going to proofread it a little later today and post it later. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'll have you a frontpage graphic soon. I've been working on that news script some again too, so hopefully we won't have to direct people to the boards anymore for news updates soon.
-G1

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

GhaleonOne wrote:I'll have you a frontpage graphic soon. I've been working on that news script some again too, so hopefully we won't have to direct people to the boards anymore for news updates soon.
Awesome, sounds great.

So, walkthrough is now posted!

Now that that's finally done, back to watching Torchwood. If you gotta bug me, wait 'til after it's done. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I forgot to reply to this when I was doing my catching up on three weeks' worth of posts. This is terrific news! I'm waiting until next weekend when my sister is visiting to actually play the game by the walkthrough (though maybe I'll see about playing Walking School in the meantime), but we're both really looking forward to it. ^_^

Now to decide whether to dig up a transformer to use the Asian Saturn or just use the US Saturn with the converter cart. I suppose the latter is simpler if I can find the cart.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:Now to decide whether to dig up a transformer to use the Asian Saturn or just use the US Saturn with the converter cart. I suppose the latter is simpler if I can find the cart.
Why would you need a transformer to use the Asian Saturn? Japanese electronics use 110v, the 110v-120v difference shouldn't be enough to cause an issue in most things. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

It's not Japanese. It's Asian -- plays Japanese games, but is 220-240v.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Alunissage wrote:It's not Japanese. It's Asian -- plays Japanese games, but is 220-240v.
That's different. Where'd you come across such an unconventional Saturn?

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:It's not Japanese. It's Asian -- plays Japanese games, but is 220-240v.
Oh, well that would explain it.

Something that converts a foreign appliance to 120v is a bit trickier to find... Well, in most cases; there's a store down the street from my office with stuff like that. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah, we used to have a transformer because we also had an Asian PlayStation 2 (bought for my now brother-in-law so he could play our imports without borrowing our Japanese PS2) but we sold it and threw in the transformer, so I'd need to get a new one. Probably easier to just use the converter cart.

AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by AlexHiro4 »

Alunissage wrote:Yeah, we used to have a transformer because we also had an Asian PlayStation 2 (bought for my now brother-in-law so he could play our imports without borrowing our Japanese PS2) but we sold it and threw in the transformer, so I'd need to get a new one. Probably easier to just use the converter cart.
There's a guy selling some Action Replay Plus 4M's on Ebay (for $24.99). Those should help you play MSL. They're brand new and still in the box too (I personally hate buying used stuff if I can get it brand new). Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Sega-Saturn-Action- ... dZViewItem
Dwight: "One thing about deer, they have very good vision. One thing about me, I am better at hiding than they are...at vision."

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Thanks, but I've had that cart for years. This won't be the first time I've played the game, after all.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

On the topic of the walkthrough itself, I do have a bit of feedback, having played Chapter 1 tonight. I generally think the organization is fairly good, but found the description of the spells the girls start with to be a little confusing. I think it was Senia's that were listed in the guide in a different order from what they are in the game. Since the translated names you used don't match the Japanese names in the game, the only clue which is which is in the description; one assumes the more powerful one costs more. I took a look and found that you do list the Japanese names in the characters' spell lists, but of course I'd rather not look at those lists so I don't see the spells in advance -- although once I did look I kept trying to sound them out to figure out why you named them what you did. Any way you could give the Japanese names as well in the walkthrough itself?

Also, there's a word missing from this line of the Chapter 2 walkthrough:
Emma says that the only one they at the school who can fly like that is Ellie; none of the teachers can do that.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

On the spells, the order depends on if you're viewing them in battle, or viewing them through the status menu. I generally chose to order them based on the battle menu.

I can try to incorporate the Japanese names. It might take a while to do something I'm comfortable with. The problem is that I use images for Japanese names instead of text (so that you don't need SJIS or Unicode support). But, I also try to make the guide printer-friendly.

I'll toss the GIF images I use already in the main part of the walkthrough itself and see how it turns out.

Re: the other issue, I'll fix that line. Thanks. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GrünIgel
Saith Pirate

Post by GrünIgel »

Many thanks for this walkthrough. Although I had already beaten the game, I am very glad to understand the many scenario tidbits and jokes I did not get.
I sure hope this will encourage more fans to give this gem a chance. The game really is worth it.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Well, all that recent computer trouble sort of prevented me from getting back to this.

I'm going to try again this week. I'll see if I can find some aesthetic way of incorporating the Japanese spell names in the actual guide instead of only on the magic page, without sacrificing its printability. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)