Anyone Ever see this for sell or known were to get it

For discussion of Magical School Lunar, for the Saturn, and its predecessor Lunar: Walking School, for the Game Gear
Atticus
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Anyone Ever see this for sell or known were to get it

Post by Atticus »

Dont matter if its GG or Saturn
I never can find it ><

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The Game Gear one is pretty hard to find, but the Saturn one pops up on eBay sometimes. That's about it.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Re: Anyone Ever see this for sell or known were to get it

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Atticus wrote:Dont matter if its GG or Saturn
I never can find it ><
This game really should be legal to emulate. I wish someone would translate a ROM/ISO and put it somewhere popular.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

It's legal to emulate a console (BIOS issues aside); it's illegal to play a ROM that way which has not been released by the developers/publishers for such use. There's no reason why a MS ROM should be any more legal than that of any other game.

It's unfortunate that Saturn emulation is so inadequate, though; otherwise Kizyr would have made a walkthrough with screenshots by now, I think.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

I shouldn't have to take on a new language and then pay an import fee as well to play a game. I'd love to buy it and be able to read an english translation.

I say emulation does GOOD things also. I seriously doubt that Tales of Phantasia would have made it to the GBA over here if the ROM wasn't so popular online.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Interesting rationalization.

Where have you encountered that argument, BG? I don't think it makes piracy any more legal even if that is true.

Now, Alunissage, no matter her opinion, never argued that it was wrong, only that it was illegal, and why it is.

Personally, I don't think I'm entitled to any extra service, in a free English translation and no cost to play a game that a team spent lots of time and money making. Lamentably, this means we're missing out on some good games. But whether we rationalize around it or not, the law still exists.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:It's unfortunate that Saturn emulation is so inadequate, though; otherwise Kizyr would have made a walkthrough with screenshots by now, I think.
Yeah, inadequate Saturn emulation is the big reason for that.

If there were a Saturn emulator as good as either ZSNES or Gens, then I'd have already done one by now. The big benefit is snapshots with just one keystroke, save states, and fast-forwarding (which is a huge help considering the game's horrid random encounter rate).
BG wrote:I shouldn't have to take on a new language and then pay an import fee as well to play a game. I'd love to buy it and be able to read an english translation.

I say emulation does GOOD things also. I seriously doubt that Tales of Phantasia would have made it to the GBA over here if the ROM wasn't so popular online.
What issue are you getting at? Trading ROMs/ISOs here isn't allowed because of legal issues, moral and ethical issues don't factor into that.

Moreover, if a game is available for emulation, that doesn't mean someone is going to translate it. The GG ROM still isn't translated (it's been in the "final stages" for a couple years now). ToP is the only game that I can think of which had sufficient interest for a fan-translation and the translation implemented in the game's programming itself.

Also, Lunar: Magic School does occasionally show up on eBay, and it's not that expensive. The only import fee involved would be buying a converter cartridge; duties and taxes, if any, are usually included in the shipping price. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Generally Magic School goes for fairly cheap on Ebay, unless it's gone up recently.
-G1

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Sonic# wrote:Interesting rationalization.

Where have you encountered that argument, BG? I don't think it makes piracy any more legal even if that is true.

Now, Alunissage, no matter her opinion, never argued that it was wrong, only that it was illegal, and why it is.

Personally, I don't think I'm entitled to any extra service, in a free English translation and no cost to play a game that a team spent lots of time and money making. Lamentably, this means we're missing out on some good games. But whether we rationalize around it or not, the law still exists.
In all honesty, i care not for what i am entitled. I simply want to be able to play this game and i want someone with the knowledge and know-how to go through the trouble of making it available to me.

I want it enough to pay for it, but not enough to work in learning another language and getting a japanese system and everything else that may be involved.

Am i selfish? Absolutely. I've managed to let go of the invalid negative association with the word "selfish" so it can be neutral like it should be.

In short. Lets change my "shouldn't have to" to a "don't want to".

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Greedy is more the word that comes to mind.

The two copies I've bought were $32 and $21.50, purchased in late 2000 and late 2001 respectively. I believe the price has dropped since then. There's still the cost of the converter cart -- the 4MB Action Replay is $29 at NCS; its function as a mem cart makes that quite reasonable, considering the Saturn's habit of draining its battery and losing its internal saves. NCS also makes the ST-Key for $10, which simply converts. I had no problems that I recall with either. I no longer have the ST-Key, but the Action Replay did *not* enable the console to play the one copy I've tried, of the SSS unplayable store demo.

Hm, while I'm looking at NCS, I see that Tales of Destiny was remade for PS2 and boy does it look nice. Wonder if I should consider getting that, though I probably wouldn't try playing it until I'd finished it in English.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I personally don't see anything "wrong" with emulating games that have never floated to this side of the ocean. Sure, it's illegal. It would also be illegal to buy the game and then download the ROM online. But really, I don't want to get into argument.

Off-topic.... what's your opinion of downloading Radical Dreamers? It's impossible to get that now any other way.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

This thread was originally posted in May, and probably the person who asked is long gone. However, the Game Gear game is in fact on eBay at this moment:
http://cgi.ebay.com/LUNAR-Game-Gear-RPG ... 0062858390

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I really should have paid attention to the date on this topic. I wouldn't have posted here if I had known thread necromancy was involved.

Atticus
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Atticus »

Alunissage wrote:This thread was originally posted in May, and probably the person who asked is long gone. However, the Game Gear game is in fact on eBay at this moment:
http://cgi.ebay.com/LUNAR-Game-Gear-RPG ... 0062858390
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
*Crys*
Someone kill me I missed what could been one my best Net buys ever :(
Now am all sad think I missed what could been only time Could goten it.....

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

i looked at that last week when it was firt put on ebay i never thought it would get that high, it was buging me because i wanted it but i knew it would do nothing but sit on my shelf since a) i dont have a game gear let alone a import game gear and b) i cant read japanese
Last edited by exigence on Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I tried to buy a copy that was up recently and it went higher than I wanted to pay right now as well.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Just FYI, you don't need an import Game Gear to play it; it's region-free.

I'm surprised it went for so little, actually.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

Alunissage wrote:Just FYI, you don't need an import Game Gear to play it; it's region-free.

I'm surprised it went for so little, actually.
really i always thought they were formated for regions are sega CDs and sega saturns region free as well ?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

really i always thought they were formated for regions are sega CDs and sega saturns region free as well ?
Nope, it's funny too. The Sega CD will play a backup/copy of games but won't play an import. Saturn's need some method (import cart, mod) to play imports.

Nomad's would play import Genesis (MegaDrive) games, but they physically didn't fit in the slot very well. More of a physical block on imports, rather than technological.
-G1

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

GhaleonOne wrote:
Nope, it's funny too. The Sega CD will play a backup/copy of games but won't play an import. Saturn's need some method (import cart, mod) to play imports.

Nomad's would play import Genesis (MegaDrive) games, but they physically didn't fit in the slot very well. More of a physical block on imports, rather than technological.
im a little dissapointed about the sega CD and saturn but i never knew the nomad would play imports which is great since i have one and a game genie which i can turn off and use to extend the import section above the case of the nomad