What exactly is Lucia?

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the remake of Lunar 2 for Saturn/Playstation and all its translations
ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Angelalex242 wrote:Then again...I wonder if Lucia would've referred to Althena as Queen of the Blue Star. No, they're not related, but one wonders.
My guess? She'd probably refer to her as the Princess of Lunar. I'd always interpreted that Althena and Lucia were very similar entities, but with different jurisdictions.
Kizyr wrote:No, they're completely dissimilar!

Ghaleon doesn't break-dance before casting any of his spells.
Ha! I would LOVE to see that!

You know he had some spiffy jewelry to go with that magic, though.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Princess or Queen of Lunar?

Althena's authority seems a little more...mature...then Lucia's does, which is the earmark of a Queen.

Also, sign me up for breakdancin' Ghaleon. Maybe we can get Phyco to do a cartoon about that.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

*groans* Do we really have to? Ghaleon doesn't break-dance. He's too cool for break-dancing!
-G1

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

GhaleonOne wrote:*groans* Do we really have to? Ghaleon doesn't break-dance. He's too cool for break-dancing!
i'm somewhat inclined to agree, kyle is awesome and he dressed in women's attire.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I'm not inclined to take "princess" in the literal royalty way (implying the presence of other royalty, I mean) until I know more about the meaning of the Japanese word that was translated that way. Remember, Mia was called Majesty Mia in SSSC, and she wasn't a ruler at the time. I've never checked, but I've wondered if that was just WD's rendering of Mia-sama, since in the Lunatic Festa CDs there's a scene with Nash getting annoyed at other people leaving off the -sama and Mia encouraging him to also just call her Mia, which he can't quite manage. I recall some similar scene in SSSC with Mia saying that they didn't have to call her Majesty. Anyway, I wouldn't read Lucia's title of "princess" as being quite the same as what we'd call the daughter of a queen here. It might have been intended more as "demigoddess" but we don't use that as a title.

Also, I'd think Althena's jurisdiction is wherever the people are. She terraformed Lunar before the exodus, but it was on the Blue Star that people appealed to her to vanquish Zophar. One might say that Lucia is the guardian of humankind's true home, while Althena is the guardian of humankind itself.

And yes, the parallel between Jian's four spells and Ghaleon's was what I was pointing out. TSS's dragon spells are likewise simply powerful elemental spells, except for Holy Light (which, as I said, Ghaleon also had an analogue of, Euthanasia). I'm pretty sure Ghaleon's spells were kept simple because he's in the party for such a short time that it's not worth the effort to truly represent his magical power by giving him tons of diverse spells. One really powerful spell of each element gets the point across, especially since you only encounter the weakest enemies in the game while he's in your party.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Alunissage wrote:Also, I'd think Althena's jurisdiction is wherever the people are. She terraformed Lunar before the exodus, but it was on the Blue Star that people appealed to her to vanquish Zophar. One might say that Lucia is the guardian of humankind's true home, while Althena is the guardian of humankind itself.
Wow, I can't believe I'd never thought about it in those terms before. I'd always seen it that Althena watched over Lunar and Lucia watched over the Blue Star, but I could never wrap my brain around why Althena, instead of Lucia, would have been the one to seal away Zophar originally if this was the scenario. This certainly explains that.
GhaleonOne wrote:*groans* Do we really have to? Ghaleon doesn't break-dance. He's too cool for break-dancing!
If it's good enough for Vin Diesel, it's good enough for Ghaleon!

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Wow. I have no freaking idea how I would make a comic with Ghaleon break dancing, as I would need a professional spriter to make custom break dancing Ghaleon sprites in the same quality and size of L:Ls sprites.

However, I'm sure I can make one where G1 begs Emperor Kizyr to go to a break dancing tournament, and when Kiz says no, G1 gets all mad and is like "You never let me do what I want to do! You just want me to grow up to be evil and dominating like you!" or something like that, then G1 runs to his room and slams the door to cry. That might work.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Alun wrote:Also, I'd think Althena's jurisdiction is wherever the people are. She terraformed Lunar before the exodus, but it was on the Blue Star that people appealed to her to vanquish Zophar. One might say that Lucia is the guardian of humankind's true home, while Althena is the guardian of humankind itself.
That's probably the most accurate assessment. Even when humanity was on the Blue Star, it was Althena they were calling to for help.

Lucia's main function has always been with the care and resurrection of the Blue Star, not with humanity itself. It goes some way towards explaining why she's so clueless about humanity, and also why she seems to be so single-minded until the end.

Re: "Princess", it can be used in the same way Princess is used in English. In other words, not always literally meaning the daughter of royalty, and it could be used facetiously. The "Princess" line would have to be in the remakes, by the way; I can't find it in my SCD screenshots. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Hmmm. If Althena's jurisdiction WAS wherever the people are...

Therefore, when Lucia claims Althena's power, Althena's responsibilities of caring for humankind rather then simply a planet also went to her, even though Althena had long since decided humanity really didn't need a caretaker anymore. Humanity had outgrown her, hence she was content to live as one of them and die for a final time. Althena's death was, practically speaking, the only way to 'kick humanity out of the house' so to speak, so they'd finish 'growing up.' As growing up, at least in the Lunarverse, is impossible while Althena yet exists. It can only really be done after her final death.

Unfortunately, when Lucia got the memo about this, it was 1000 years after Althena's death, and she wasn't ready to accept it yet. So since Althena 'dropped the ball' so to speak, Lucia felt morally obligated to pick it up. And probably a little betrayed since Althena chose to die and leave Lucia on her own. Then Zophar came a callin', and well, the rest is history.

Claiming Althena's power, then, means she now has both responsibilities...to guide humanity and to restore the Blue Star. Put together logically, her job post Lunar 2 is to get humanity off Lunar and back to the Blue Star. With a job like that, she can't in good conscience set down her immortality until every human is off Lunar and back on the Blue Star. Only then might she claim her job to be 'done.'
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

No, guiding humanity ISN'T her job. She just thinks she's the only one who can deal with Zophar because she doesn't have the confidence in humans that Althena did, and is panicked at finding that Althena can't bail out the world this time. She doesn't just inherit the guardianship of humanity because the previous guardian is no longer around; that position was abolished. She's still just the caretaker of the Blue Star and that's what she goes back to doing once she gets it through her thick skull that people don't need or want her to be Althena II.

THIS HAS BEEN COLLECTING THE
MAGIC OF YOUR WORLD FOR MANY
THOUSANDS OF YEARS.

THE POWER IT COLLECTED WAS
TO BE USED TO RESTORE THE
BLUE STAR SOMEDAY.

...AND RESTORING THE BLUE
STAR IS THE REASON FOR MY
BEING.

Kiz, I think Zophar calls her "princess" in the first scene with him in the Blue Spire, but since that's an audio track, you won't find it in the screenshots. ^^

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Alunissage wrote:Kiz, I think Zophar calls her "princess" in the first scene with him in the Blue Spire, but since that's an audio track, you won't find it in the screenshots. ^^
Here's the line from EBC. I'm fairly certain the audio track in this scene is the same in both versions.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Some of the audio scenes in EBC were also written out like that. I'm certain it was both audio and text in this case.
-G1

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

GhaleonOne wrote:Some of the audio scenes in EBC were also written out like that. I'm certain it was both audio and text in this case.
Not according to the screen shots on this site.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

This scene wasn't written out in EB, but appears to have been in EBC.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm gonna guess that Princess can also be used to describe someone who has authority over something, but not as royalty. I'm gonna get pelted by rocks, but many powerful demons who controlled other demons in Inuyasha where called princesses, despite them actually not having a kind/queen or being of royalty. But it shows that they are in charge basically.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

You missed my point.

The original plan was probably that Althena would lead the humans home to the Blue Star. Obviously, Althena can't do that anymore, so Lucia has to pick up that ball and run with it. Otherwise...I rather think that humans are quite comfortable on Lunar and wouldn't be inclined to go home unless they absolutely had to.

Also, Princess is also a word that's 'royalty in waiting'. Not active royalty as Queen would imply. It's someone whose time of authority is yet to come.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Not always with the princess thing. I've seen plenty of instances where princess/prince where used for non-royalty people who are in charge of something.

Prince of darkness ring a bell?