I finally did it

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the remake of Lunar 2 for Saturn/Playstation and all its translations
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by phyco126 »

Good thing to save on Starlights though, after all, they are twice as expensive in the game than they where in SSSC, not to mention you hardly get as much money as SSSC (often I was under equiped.)

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

When you get to the game's final dungeon, you'll really want to have lots of MP-restoring items, because once you're there you won't be able to get out to go shopping. So hoard, hoard, hoard away.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Who said I was being patronizing? Beware assuming. You know what it does. When I want to be mean, I'm usally a great deal more biting then that.

Anyways, I'm a natural powerleveler. So I just state how I do things. Stating what works for me does not demean anyone else.

There's always another way to do things, but in Lunar, # of attacks, really, are the critical jumpup points for random battles.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Indeed. However, I'm pretty sure that in EB Hiro does not have six attacks when maxed out. And the enemies around there don't give enough EXP to make levelling up very fast.

There's a max of eight enemies in battle. However, each of the most common type of enemies has the ability to summon another one. At typical levels for the area, Ronfar has one attack and Hiro has (I think) 2 normally or 3 with a dagger equipped, but the dagger has very low attack power. I may be misremembering about the number of attacks, too; it could be 1 and 2. There's also the limitation of range. The enemies, naturally, tend to enter far away from the party, and of course block each other. Hiro doesn't get an all-attack spell until level 25, and you're at something like 9 or 10 there, if that. You can try levelling up his magic enough to get a multi-attack spell, but M Exp required goes up pretty quickly around there (that is, it costs quite a lot to get a type of magic past, say, level 9 relative tot he amount you're getting). I tried this once, and his second wind spell is not only an ally zone spell but a lousy one (like all his wind spells, really). Ronfar's only multiple-enemy spell is the one I mentioned, Chance Dice.

So unless you want to spend many hours levelling -- probably as many as you've spent on the game up to that point -- you're very likely to only be able to take out two enemies per round, three if you're lucky. When each of the remaining ones can summon replacements, this makes for hopelessly long battles. And at that I'm not sure when or IF Hiro gets additional attacks through levelling. And with eight enemies, you have to be able to take out at least five in a round, in a worst-case scenario of every goblin summoning another one until all eight slots are filled...and this happens not infrequently.

As for my objection to your remark, no, I didn't think you were being deliberately mean. However, it really came across as if you thought levelling up would have never occurred to anyone (lacking experience, your last line suggests, in more ways than one) or they just didn't do it enough, because if you were playing you'd only lose maybe one character in a very rare instance rather than the two G1 and I were talking about. Which just doesn't seem the right thing to say about a game you've never played.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Ah. My comments did refer to EBC.

And I'm always at LEAST level 15 or 16 in that area.

See, I have a personal idea where I level up in the Blue Spire till Lucia doesn't let me. That's usually at level 14, when Hiro gains his second attack, and she starts using Solar Bomb. If you've got an invincible levelup friend, use her! (He doesn't gain his third attack till level 43. Ronfar, alas, doesn't gain his second till level 45, Jean gets her 4th attack at level 56, and her 5th attack at level 77. Also, Leo gets a 3rd attack somewhere in the level 70-80 range. I forget exactly where for Leo.)

He only has 6 attacks maxed out if you do Althena's Sword+Goddess Crest+Gale Crest. That's +3 attacks to the max 3 he normally gets. (In EBC. If it works that way in EB, don't ask me...) ...and as I recall, somebody said EB doesn't have crests, so he likely has 4 max, at best.
Last edited by Angelalex242 on Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I think there's a +2 attacks item somewhere in there, in Lionhead or Dragon's Nest (the only optional dungeons in that game). Either the Dimension Ring or Lucia's Tear. I always forget what does what. Various weapons add +1 attacks too, such as at least one bow (for Lemina and Ronfar), some hammers for Ronfar, and most of Jean's weapons. Possibly Althena's Sword. And Daggers, but they have really wimpy attack.

I'm not sure, but I think there's a limit in the Blue Spire in EB as well, level 8. Lucia has some text which is only seen then, and it mentions casting a spell so the monsters will not bother them. She says something every time you go up or down a floor. Last time I played I started to level up to then, but at the rate of experience there it took over 1000 battles to get from level 7 to 8 and I just wasn't up for that. They also were kind of slow, since she'd often use single or zone attacks, and it's random battles.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

It sounds like EB's level up rate is about a million times slower then EBCs. I don't usually have to spend THAT long leveling up to the cap.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Very likely. I wonder if it has to do with most magic levelling up separately from actual character levels. I mean, in theory it'll be roughly parallel because you get M in battle as you do EXP, but an individual character can kick the bucket or run frequently and therefore not level up much while their magic can be pumped up with the M that the rest of the party earned. I remember playing a savegame which was just before Borgan with the party around level 26. (No, I wasn't able to beat him.)

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

One of the tricks I sometimes use in EBC is going through a dungeon...then going backwards through it...then going through it again. Triple EXP doing that.

Pisces
Threadkiller

Post by Pisces »

Okay, progress update...

I'm about to enter Serak Palace to stop the "cleansing".

I have a question...

From a lot of discussion I've seen here and there, why does everyone make it sound like Borgan is some uber-mad-difficult superboss??? I didn't have any trouble beating him. I was all freaked out that he was going to turn into another Melfice (Grandia II reference) battle, and then I was like "Well, that was easy..." o_O
"Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart; my land's only borders lie around my heart."

-Tim Rice, from the song "Anthem" in the musical Chess

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

He IS...but only EB, the Sega CD version.

In EBC, which is what THIS forum is about, he's not nearly so tough.

Zophar'll still hose you, though, so careful. That is a god your fighting, and if you don't treat him like one...he'll kill you.

Pisces
Threadkiller

Post by Pisces »

Ahhh, ok.
"Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart; my land's only borders lie around my heart."

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, the Borgan you played is a worthless pale imitation of his Sega CD counterpart. That Borgan makes Melface look like a sissy. :P

BTW, the game is really close to heating up bigtime in the story department.
-G1

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Indeed it is. Some of the coolest cutscenes are coming.

And some of them are my favorite...

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

Angelalex242 wrote:Indeed it is. Some of the coolest cutscenes are coming.

And some of them are my favorite...

Mine as well. I need to stay away from this board. I'm never going to finish my replay of SSSC if I keep thinking about EBC. :?
- Mike

Pisces
Threadkiller

Post by Pisces »

Okay, status...

I am inside the Goddess Tower right now. I'm about to fight Fake Althena. Well, that is, when I get home from work and rehearsal tonight.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Ah, but you got to watch one of the coolest scenes of all, though.

The scene that could actually be an attack. Four Dragon Rage. Nifty move, it is...

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Lunar needs an ultimate spell consisting of all four dragons at once, it would be like Ultima in Final Fantasy, but way more inventive.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I believe Lemina's Catastrophy is about as close as an uber everything in one spell as we are gonna get :)

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Nah man, he's talking all four dragons in the spell, coming out and dealing monster damage. A spell like that should cost everyone equipped with a dragon aura at least 50 MP though, just to make it only worthwhile in extreme cases.
-G1