I finally did it

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the remake of Lunar 2 for Saturn/Playstation and all its translations
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by phyco126 »

I'm actually doing better at this game than SSSC because I'm actually taking the time to level up for a change. ::hates leveling up...goes and plays Rhapsody, fights 1 battle, gains 50 levels::

*gasp* AIIIIYYYEEEEEE! You mean Rhapsody with Cornet? (Or whatever her freaking name was :P) I LOVE THAT GAME OMG!!!!111 It made me cry foo sure yo! i mean that game is soo col that i played it over and over and over and over and ov....

*BEEEEEEEP* We're sorry, but we are currently experiancing n00b difficulties. This is not a test. *BEEEEEEP*

Whew, so anyways, I hate leveling too, but in SSSC, I didn't leave Calador Isle until I was level 14 :P Lunar wasn't kiddnapped until level 19, and I beat the game at level 46. Of course, I do wish to play through the game again, but I don't have enough space on my memory card ^^;

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Pisces
Threadkiller

Post by Pisces »

Okay, here's an update for you, Mickey old chap...

I've been through Pentagulia and have just finished the White Dragon Cave.

Some thoughts...

I'm already guessing that something is still off kelter with the Ghaleon thing. I found his behavior all throughout Pentagulia very intriguing, as well as "False Althena's" reactions to him when he would snap at her, etc.

I'm seeing the similarities to Grandia II, but I still think (so far) they have very different TYPES of stories. And the themes are definitely different. =P

I'm really enjoying watching Lucia grow humanly. I was actually very touched by the scene where she comes back after leaving the party and saves everyone from the avalanche.

I actually guessed that Lunn was the Masked Man before I found out. It didn't ruin it for me, really, because I still thought it was a nice plot twist. It just dawned on me that something bad was going to happen to each of the characters during the Pentagulia sequence, in the four towers.

I really like Leo as a character. I like the three-dimensionality of his conflicted loyalties, and it made the character of Mystere all the funnier (and appropriate).

As for gameplay... you know, there was one thing I finally figured out to take advantage of - I always use Jean effectively in normal battles becausee she's fast and her "Dream Dance" has helped me time after time after time...But I kept thinking she wasn't that effective in boss battles, until it finally dawned on me...

DUH! Make her the official "OH CRAP, QUICK, HEAL!" person. Ronfar's slower, so I started using Jean as my item-user in boss battles, and this has saved me more than once, since she's the speediest person in the group.

.......and Ronfar is hot.
"Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart; my land's only borders lie around my heart."

-Tim Rice, from the song "Anthem" in the musical Chess

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I really like Leo as a character. I like the three-dimensionality of his conflicted loyalties, and it made the character of Mystere all the funnier (and appropriate).

Leo's my second-favourite, too. Mystere is my favourite.
You're a little mistaken in your implication that they're the same person. They're two entirely different people. I think Mystere is Leo's distant cousin. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

.......and Ronfar is hot.

Heh. He's a great character IMO, even if people might be put off of him initially for the womanizing attitude.

Though about Jean, she'll be far more useful very soon.
-G1

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Well, Ronfar just starts with a case of Kyleitis. It's not too bad, really...

And yeah, Jean will become much better, soon.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

I've always loved Ronfar. One thing I've almost always been torn about was whether I liked Ronfar or Kyle more. They are both really great guys beneath their alcoholism and womanizing (Although I've always seen Ronfar's aspect of that being more forced and an act than his true personality), but Kyle does have something extra going for him: Jessica. I love them as a couple, so that gives Kyle bonus points. I really can't choose.

..but yes...Ronfar is hot. :twisted:
- Mike

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Ya know, have you attempted to get any of the bromides yet? There are a couple of surprise ones, if you haven't already seen them before.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Leo definitely has the best music. I'm fond of useing it for inspirational music when I need to find within myself an urge to bring Justice crashing down on the head of someone it might be rather scary to bring down Justice on the head of.

Also, you have to give the man credit. Admitting you're wrong is among the hardest things for anyone to do. But it takes a level of courage beyond that necessary to stick the pointy end of your sword into fleshy things that scream and bleed. Finding further the courage to act with justice even in the event you find you've been acting wrongly all along takes even greater strength of will.

So, yeah. Inspirational guy all around.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

SSSFan
Red Dragon Priest
Location: in front of my computer, above my keyboard, at the lunarnet forum, in my house etc. etc.

Post by SSSFan »

I don't have enough space on my memory card

Why don't you just delete somethin'...

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Presumably because everything else on the card is also of some importance to keep?

I didn't like Leo at first but really warmed up to him through the course of the game, and he's my favorite EB character now, I think, for the reasons stated above.

Pisces
Threadkiller

Post by Pisces »

I finished the Blue Dragon Cave last night. And yes, Jean is MUCH more useful now, after the tournament. And I hate the Blue Dragon Cave. The enemies weren't overly difficult or anything, it's just that it's one of those dungeons that's freaking LONG with no places to heal and then you have to fight a boss fight. I'm just such a Starlight horder, it's like I want to HAVE my items rather than USE them... Anyway...

Actually, I think the most comical interactions in the game are between Ronfar and Ruby.

Oh, something else I noticed earlier that I forgot to mention, a nice detail, regarding Lucia and her gradual changes:

I noticed that PRIOR to the avalanche incident, the majority of Lucia's spells were in self-defense. After she saves everyone from the avalanche, that changes - she starts using her spells more to defend her allies and to help them in the attack.
"Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart; my land's only borders lie around my heart."

-Tim Rice, from the song "Anthem" in the musical Chess

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'm just such a Starlight horder, it's like I want to HAVE my items rather than USE them... Anyway...

That's the way I play. I think I saved all but maybe 2 Starlights last time I played EBC.

I noticed that PRIOR to the avalanche incident, the majority of Lucia's spells were in self-defense. After she saves everyone from the avalanche, that changes - she starts using her spells more to defend her allies and to help them in the attack.

Yeah, that's definately intentional, to show that she starts showing feelings for Hiro and even the others as friends.
-G1

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

She does indeed. Though I've always lamented the fact you can't take Lucia off her AI.

Then again, efficient Lucia is probably overpowered.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Well, you do get to control her briefly in the SegaCD game...but you can't choose what she does in battle then, either. Nor can you save, because Ruby only does that for Hiro. And yes, it would ruin the balance of the game (and the point of her needing humans at all, of course) if you could control her attacks, unless it also consumed MP which you would then have to manage. It cracks me up when she decides to do a physical attack in battle and runs up and slaps the enemy for 1 damage.

Her habit of running away from battle was a lifesaver a couple of times. In the Illusion Forest (SegaCD version) it could get really difficult before meeting Jean because of the stupid goblins that summoned other goblins, and Ronfar and Hiro aren't strong enough to take out more than one apiece per round. I think in one battle I fought about 50 of them, and more than once got wiped out...but if Lucia had already run, then it counts as the party running away rather than the party getting killed.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, her running away really was a lifesaver in that area. I had the same thing. But man, if you could actually put away the majority of those goblins, it was a great experience dropping.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yep. I found that Ronfar's Chance Dice was the key. Most of the time it doesn't do much, but when I got the poison-enemies roll (4 or 5) they didn't summon more goblins because there were still many on the field, and they eventually died from the poison all at once, leaving a small enough number that Hiro and Ronfar could finally defeat the last. Got several thousand EXP.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Well, if all else fails, level up, say I.

I usually go into an area with enough levels under my belt that I won't get killed. Oh, sure, occasionally one person will drop, but it's fairly rare.

It's all a matter of experience.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Thanks for your patronizing reply. :roll: You must not think much of the intelligence or RPG experience of this forum. How about, oh, playing the game before you evaluate whether it was merely a problem of levelling? You clearly aren't getting the nature of what we're talking about.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

...That really wasn't necessary.

Anyway, levelling up is the 'back door' strategy to everything. It's not as much fun, but when you're just frustrated at trying to get through a particular spot then it's another way out. Like levelling up before fighting Borgan, instead of utilizing White Dragon Protect and a few Earth Cruxes instead. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

Pisces wrote:Actually, I think the most comical interactions in the game are between Ronfar and Ruby.

Heh, I always thought the same thing, although Ronfar with any of the female members of the party leads to some nice comical conversations. (My favorite to this day is probably the scene between Lemina, Ruby, and Ronfar when Lemina tells the party to "keep your hands on your valuables" and Ruby tells Ronfar to take his hands out of his pants. :lol: )

I really want to replay EBC now, but I just started replaying SSSC and I want to finish with that first. :x
- Mike