Original L:EB music destroys EBC's music...

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the remake of Lunar 2 for Saturn/Playstation and all its translations
LuciaOne
Goddess
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Original L:EB music destroys EBC's music...

Post by LuciaOne »

Okay random music rant. Why has Iwadare's musical skill seemingly decreased over the past few years?

The original soundtracks... especially EB's- the music quality and overall appeal is so much higher to me. Playing SCD vs PSX tracks next to each other comparatively- especially epic ones like "Zophar vs Lucia" makes it blatantly obvious that the music quality from SCD was vastly superior than the PSX remake. I don't know if it's because of the system limitations, but the music is so synth-sounding and Casio keyboard-ish that I want to rip out my eardrums. You'd think that with the CD soundtracks WD made for the remakes would have more orchestrated sounding music, and not Casio-ear-vom rampages... but alas, the only real track I dig is the Star Dragon Mix. Heh.

The EBC music seems so uninspired and boring. Even in Iwadare's other work, like Grandias and his ending theme for Rogue Galaxy (helloooooo generic!) seem so bland and pale in comparison to the original Lunar: Eternal Blue, in my opinion.

Sorry Iwadare. =(
I found my old siggie! MUAH HAHAHAHAHA!!!
~~~
Sir Kizyr: ::high-pitched voice:: Ohh lookit me, I'm a cute li'l elf!
MiaAusa: Oh wait! NO I GET IT.
MiaAusa: It's him finally fessing up the the fact that HE IS a cut li'l elf. :d
MiaAusa: Hey, chance" NO I GET IT" to "NOW I GET IT"
MiaAusa: change**
MiaAusa: I'm mad with grammar today
MiaAusa: bad**

I'm mad with grammar too.
~~~
Sir Kizyr: Here's a lovely song about my favorite food
Sir Kizyr: Lima, lento, soy, and pinto ~ Navy, northern, and garbanzo! ~ Kidneys and frijoles negros
Sir Kizyr: I love beans, I love beans, woo woo woo! ~ How 'bout you? ~ High in fiber ~ Low in fat ~ Hey, I betcha didn't know that
Sir Kizyr: When I eat beans, I sit in my little cloud, I don't know why ~ maybe 'cause I'm cuttin' muffins ~~ Because....
Sir Kizyr: I love beans! Hey hey hey! ~ I love beans everyday! ~ Beans are an excellent source of protein ~ I love beans!
Sir Kizyr: Diggydoo!
~~~

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: Original L:EB music destroys EBC's music...

Post by Alunissage »

Wait, are you complaining about the compositions themselves or the sounds produced by the hardware? Because I doubt Iwadare has much to do with the latter at all, especially with regards to the port from Saturn to PlayStation. The remake's music sounded much better on the Saturn than on the PlayStation, so if you haven't listened to the Saturn version, you should. There's a thread around here somewhere with links to it.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Go, go, necropost! Whee!

But anyway I think I agree with the message here, especially where overall sound quality is concerned. The sequenced music in the Playstation version of Lunar 2 doesn't compare favorably to the streaming music in Saturn version. (Of course, I think the port developers did a pretty good job with it considering.)

Now that I think about it, we've always gotten short-changed a little bit on Lunar 2's music - I remember that WD lowered the sampling rate on the SCD version to squeeze some extra content onto the game disk. (I can't honestly say it's ever bothered me though.)

It's a shame we've never gotten quite the level of quality on it, since the original Lunar 2 set the musical tone for all the games that followed it. I agree that it's the crowning achievement of Iwadare's career. Iwadare still writes beautiful music, but I've never heard anything from him since that was as consistently engaging and evocative as the Lunar 2 soundtrack.
「まあいいけど。」

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Meh. I still say TSS has the best music of any Lunar game, and possibly the best of any game ever.

You're all allowed to disagree with me, though. I'm writing this in the USA, where people are allowed to be as wrong as they want.

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

ilovemyguitar wrote:Meh. I still say TSS has the best music of any Lunar game, and possibly the best of any game ever.

You're all allowed to disagree with me, though. I'm writing this in the USA, where people are allowed to be as wrong as they want.

GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Now I'm curious to hear a comparison between the US release and the Japanese release of the Sega CD Eternal Blue. I have the import of EB for the Saturn, and the US release for the PSOne. For some reason I think the remake even looked better on the Saturn overall, but the PS version had better transparencies. It's been so long that I could be remembering things wrong. Either way, the Sega CD will always have the best versions of Lunar.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

JWL (Hatless) wrote up a list of differences between the audio tracks of the Japanese and US versions of the SegaCD EB. It used to be up at the DS Grotto along with samples illustrating his comments. I'll see if I can find it on archive.org sometime, or just paste the text; I saved the page and the samples but am not quite up to posting the latter.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I appreciate it. Let me know if you are able to find the comparisons, or the info regarding them.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I found it:

http://web.archive.org/web/200107300712 ... /music.htm

I rather doubt the music clips themselves are archived, but if you PM me I can probably get them to you.